4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but I don't love it., May 15, 2012
This review is from: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel 5-Quart Sauteuse (Kitchen)
I like that the pan is big enough to cook four pancakes or grilled cheese and can hold alot of vegetables. Of course, it does stick more than non-stick, even though I started using oil to cook scrambled eggs. After I plate my food, I add some hot water to the pan and put the lid on so it can soak while I'm eating. When I go to wash the pan, the food can be hard to scrub off, but it is not too bad. If it took me 30 seconds to wash my non-stick, it takes about two minutes to wash the stainless, I can live with that. When I want my pan to sparkle, I'll use the barkeepers friend, just sprinkle some on, rub it around for 30-60 seconds, rinse off and dry, good as new. A couple of things about the pan that do bug me, it doesn't conduct heat as well as I thought it would. The pan is lighter than my old non-stick, and just like my old pans it has hot spots. I poured some egg whites into the pan, put the lid on and watched. One side of the pan cooked the eggs, the other side was completely raw (gas stove). Also, I expected to be able to cook at a lower temperature than I did before, but I have to turn the heat up to Med-Hi to cook pancakes or they come out pasty colored, not browned at all. I bought another set of cookware around the same time, used, from the well-known auction site, ebay, the Kirkland Stainless. Those pans are heavy like I expected this one to be. I use this pan more than any of my other pans, because I love the size so much, but I expected better from a $100 pan, considering that the whole set of Kirkland Stainless cost less, yes they were used, but they sparkled like new after washing with Barkeeper's Friend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2013 5:29:57 PM PST
I really appreciate that you took the time to write such an informative and balanced review. Its reviews like yours that are "in the middle" that actually have the most useful information. I got this pan at Home Goods for just $49.95 and it is exactly the size my friends wanted to make Paella.

I have found all the Calphalon Tri Ply is not what it was quality wise a few years ago and even more so if you look at pieces that are 10 to 15 years old, but any pan this size was either much cheaper quality or much more expensive, if it wasn't. I think for Paella, as it will go from the stove top to the oven, this pot should work. I may write a review once I see how it performs. Thank you again and Happy Holidays.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2013 11:57:43 PM PST
MSreviews says:
Thanks for the response and the info on where to buy the pan cheaper, I wanted to get one for a friend, but hesitated because of the cost here. I'll look at Home Goods, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 2:21:27 PM PDT
Great Cook says:
Homegoods do sell Calphalon stainless at a good price..
Is it made the USA?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 4:03:57 PM PDT
While some of Calphalon's non-stick lines are currently made in the USA, the Calphalon Tri Ply and Contemporary Line, which is also Tri Ply Stainless are both made in China, as is a lot of Stainless steel Tri Ply cookware. There is All Clad and Masterchef by Regalware made in the USA, but it is quite expensive.

I would add that I was at my friends house for the first use of this pan and it performed extremely well and is a great choice for Chicken and Rice or Paella. To get a Triply Stainless Steel pan of this size, capacity and quality, made in the USA would easily run a couple hundred dollars more than the $50 I paid Home Good for this pan. Good Luck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›