5.0 out of 5 stars Premier kids tablet that even gives adult tablets a run for their money!, July 21, 2012
This review is from: nabi 2 (NABI2-NV7A) (Personal Computers)
This is the 2nd generation tablet from Fuhu, a company well-known for their educational online services such as Foozkids. The original Nabi came out in November of last year and was really the first tablet geared specifically towards younger kids (age 4-10). While revolutionary in that sense, it was not without a few hiccups as a first generation product often is. However, realizing this, the company bent over backwards to make things right with its customers and fixed most of the issues in software updates as well as a charger replacement. Learning a lot from that first tablet, they've come out with a new one that really blows the competition away. Now that there is competition - many of whom copied the original Nabi in many ways. But the Nabi 2 is so fast and responsive, comes with so much additional software, and is backed by such a customer-centric company, that really there's no REAL competition!

Full disclosure: I am a Nabi Fan-a-tech. When the initial Nabi came out, a lot of people started using it's Facebook page to trade information, ask questions, and get support. Some of us who had purchased the tablet for our child and are a little more tech-savvy, decided to try to answer a lot of these questions, and Fuhu made us "Fan-a-tech's." Which means we just keep helping the community by answering questions, providing tips, app ideas, etc. We also test updates out before they go public, and in the case of the Nabi 2, we got a chance to try them out and find issues before they went on sale. So I've been using one for a few weeks now and it is very fast and responsive with no freezes, crashes, etc. It is truly one of the fastest Android devices I've used.

Aside from speed, the other nice thing about this Nabi is that it is now able to do video chatting. It comes with Skype, and my daughter has Skyped a bunch of times already with both grandmas. In the next month or two Fuhu has said they will be coming out with an add-on rear-facing 8-megapixel camera (the included front-facing one is 2MP) that, among other things, will be used for an augmented reality game they will be putting out.

In some of the reviews that have been published on other sites, it's been noted that the Nabi 2 does not have the Google Play store or Google apps. This was true of the first Nabi, however someone was able to provide the Google Services Framework apk that would work with it and allow for the Android Market to work. I've tried the Google Services Framework on the Nabi 2 and I'm able to get Gmail working, but so far not Google Play, however, one of the other Fan-a-tech's is working on a solution, so I have no doubt that within the next few weeks, there will be that support. In the mean time there is of course the Amazon app store, and if you have an Android phone or tablet that DOES have access to Google Play, you can always transfer the apk's from that store via an app like Android Backup and Restore, which works really well for most apps.

The other issue around the Nabi 1 was availability, but that's because there was only one partner for it, who did not order units based on the true demand for the product. Thus many people waited months in vain. With the Nabi 2, this is solved by the fact that Fuhu now has at least 5 different major retail partners in the US alone, and will also be partnering with retailers in Canada, the UK, and other countries starting in August. They're committed to producing over a million tablets over the next few months, and more if necessary, so supply should be no issue this time around!

Fuhu will be coming out with a bunch of accessories for the Nabi 2 starting in August, including a set of different colored bumper cases, (volume-limited) headphones, a Bluetooth keyboard, a car charger, the aforementioned rear-facing camera, and a lot more.

As I've alluded to and what I'm sure you will see repeated in other reviews is that Fuhu is a unique company in how they treat their customers. They are all about making a difference in the customer's life, and making sure the customer is not just satisfied but truly happy with their purchase. They bend over backwards to make this happen. They also have decided to put a lot of effort into the Special Needs community, since they have received many emails from parents of children with special needs who got so much out of the tablet.

By the way, although the tablet is geared specifically towards the 4-10 age range, that doesn't mean it can't be used by those who are older. The bumper comes off easily to reveal a sleek white tablet. If you want you can even disable the Nabi Mode (kids interface/launcher) and stick to the stock ICS launcher - or load your favorite third-party launcher. I can tell you that I use mine for normal day-to-day purposes without issue or feeling like I'm using a kid's tablet or a "toy."

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Fuhu and the Nabi 2. I may be slightly biased, but I'm also totally honest when I say that I've been nothing but impressed with both the Nabi 2 and Fuhu's commitment towards their products and their customers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 21 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2012 11:52:23 PM PDT
I just have one question, my son is about to turn 4, and I really want to buy him a tablet (he loves playing games and watching movies and things on my phone and Kindel Fire) but he is SUPER rough on things....how durable is the Nabi 2??

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 4:14:20 AM PDT
L. Wallach says:
Tabatha, the red rubber bumper case that comes with the Nabi is pretty thick and protects it pretty well from drops. But it's not impervious. My daughter is 6 and is not rough with her toys, and so I can't tell you from personal experience durable the Nabi 2 is. However, if you are concerned about breakage, you might consider buying a protection plan with it. I don't know if Amazon carries such plans but at least two of the other retailers that are selling the Nabi 2 do carry such plans.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 7:44:13 PM PDT
Ok. I am older... and just wondering. You said the bumper can be removed and you can ditch the Nabi interface? If so do you really think it is a good tablet for an older user. Even if not im a techy, so i can always root and load a couston ROM. Thanks for any feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 7:53:57 PM PDT
L. Wallach says:
I think if you are just looking for a tablet for yourself (as an adult) and you don't have a child, this probably is not the one I would look at myself because it is geared towards kids. The Nexus 7 is superior in that it already comes with Jelly Bean (the latest version of Android) that this tablet presumably will not get for several months. It also has a slightly higher resolution screen. Finally, it comes with Google Play (Google's app store) and all the Google apps (Gmail, Youtube, Google Maps, etc.). It's possible to get these loaded onto the Nabi, but it does take a little work, and Google Play still is not going to work until a workaround arrives (hopefully soon, but you never know).

The main advantage in getting the Nabi 2 for an adult is the company's customer service, which is better and more personal than the huge monolith that Google is. Google is big and can do great things, but it cannot give you personal attention, you will have to go online and find answers to questions among other users asking similar questions. That's the one downside to the Nexus 7. As a more technical user I don't mind this so I'd probably get the Nexus 7 if I were buying something for myself alone, but as someone who is not very technically savvy, support may be a much bigger factor...

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 9:12:06 AM PDT
Thank you very much. The Nexus 7 is great for people that already use cloud services. As it has no memory expansion, thrown out the window for me. As I own a rooted phone and have a ROM on it, not worried about the Playstore. Sure i can get that to work. You said it is geared toward children, what things will it not do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 12:41:40 PM PDT
L. Wallach says:
Russel, there isn't necessarily anything it "will not do." It comes with both a kids interface and regular ICS launcher, and you can set it so that it always boots into the regular ICS launcher and never see the kids mode (which is called "Nabi Mode"). The only drawback for me right now is the lack of Google Play, but I'm sure that will be a temporary issue. I guess the other thing it doesn't have is GPS. It can locate you via your network, but of course that's not nearly as accurate. Can't think of anything else, but then I don't have another tablet so it's hard to think of what it might or might not have available to it...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 1:47:00 PM PDT
Vicki says:

if this link does not come up, go to youtube.com and search nabi 2 drop test and you can see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 1:54:52 PM PDT
L. Wallach says:
Thanks, Vicki, yeah, this just got posted last night - and the link worked great for me. :)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:58:50 PM PDT
My 3yr old currently has a Leappad and loves it. I want to get a Nabi because it seems to have more educational add-ons (assuming I can get the free android apps from Amazon). But my son is addicted to Dora and Deigo - can these be watched on the Nabi??

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 7:09:22 PM PDT
L. Wallach says:
Hi, how do you currently watch them? If it's via Netflix, then yes, you can download from Amazon App Store and watch on the Nabi 2.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (821 customer reviews)

$199.99 $129.99