2.0 out of 5 stars DOA Networking still a problem, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Denon AVR-3311CI 7.2-Channel Network Home Theater Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
If you spend some time reading AVSForums you'll learn that last years model (the 3310) was plagued with dead networking cards. It appears that nothing has changed with there year's model. I ordered the 3311 from 6th Ave and they were quick to ship with a good price but after hooking it up I realized my network card was busted. The unit will hang in the "Network Connecting" screen and never acquire an IP address or permit you to manually change any of the network settings. Again, searching thru AVSForums I learned that this was a common problem on the 3310 and a few folks have had this with the 3311. Since the networking features are the primary reason to step up to the 3311 from the 2311, this is a deal breaker. I contacted 6th Ave and so far they have been great about the return.

I'm on the fence on whether to try another Denon or try a Pioneer. After my issues, I read up and realized that the Denons have a serious issue with reliability in terms of the network card. Sure they offer a 3 year warranty, but you'll be without your receiver for weeks and have to pay to ship something that weighs 40lbs across the USA. I have the 2310 now, and it's been a reliable receiver but I needed to upgrade to get 3D support. I upgraded one model to get Pandora support and what I thought was digital source support for Zone 2. After having the unit I now discover that Zone2 digital source support only means via Optical/Coax and not HDMI. I can't believe that HDMI sources are still not supported for Zone 2. I like to use Zone 2 to play my outdoor speakers and I refuse to run analog cables to all my sources for this. It's just absurd that a receiver of this caliber with all the HDMI features you can imagine has left this out.

Pros:
- Video switching is good (no better or worse than last years model)
- 3D pass thru from DirecTV to Panasonic VT25 works fine. (this would not work on the 2310 and DirecTV would fail to tune the 3D channels because if it)
- HD Radio is nice, this was my first experience with HD radio and it truly is great stuff. All the FM radio stations around me have HD support of it's great quality

Cons:
- Broken Network kills much of the things I bought it for. How a $1300 receiver can ship with such crappy quality control amazes me.
- Lack of Zone2/3 audio support from HDMI inputs. This kills me.
- Interface and manual still suck (IMO). I think you realize more how bad it is when you have a defective unit and there's no useful troubleshooting. No customer service support on the weekends either.
- Charging $50 for Airplay support is pathetic, they should provide this firmware update for free.

Still on the fence, since this receiver is one of the few I can find that does what I want. I may end up trying another one but now I'm concerned about the reliability and just annoyed with Denon's poor quality control in regards to these networked receivers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2011 10:13:56 AM PST
Wow, you seem just like me. See my review above with the same issues. I am now having to send the unit back as my network will no longer connect and the support person will real quick to say the card was bad and send it back. Zone 2/3 HDMI was a real let down, especially since you have to be an expert and read a small footnote in the manaul to know HDMI is not part of the digital conversion. Now I am having HDMI issues with my TV with a suggestion to go back to Component video to solve it. Othewise great unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 10:29:50 AM PST
Jay says:
How long did you have it before the networking failed? This is my issue with getting another 3311 as a replacement. Luckily this happened out of the box so I can just return it, if I had to deal with Denon directly I would probably be livid.

If Denon suggested I go back to component I would suggest they go back to selling record players. Why would you buy this receiver if the networking and HDMI don't work? The Onkyo or Pioneers are getting more attractive. The Onkyos I had in the past were space heaters but reliable and easy to setup. Never owned a Pioneer but they seem to have many of the features I'm looking for hundreds less than the Denon. Why can't stuff just work like advertised :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 1:26:00 PM PST
DN says:
i had my denon for 6 months now.it had the same defective card as yours.i spend more than a few hours with denon on the phone.moreover, i spend more time on the phone with the online retailer i made the purchase.my network card did not work right out of the box.denon recommended i service the unit.the service provider is 45 minutes away.i took a day off from work to take the unit there and a day to bring it back.the service provider replaced the hdmi board.they said the hdmi board was defective and that this was a common issue with these receivers.i have had the unit back for two months now.my network card works as it is should be.my internet radio connects instantly.the icing on the cake is the fact that zone2 works thru my hdmi connection now.i would say the new board did the trick.for this reason i would recommend to all "stay away from denon for ever".this company is a bunch of crooks.how can you install a defective hdmi board on a unit that costs $1100?i would never buy a denon product again.

dn

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 2:51:06 PM PST
DN,

Your post is hard to follow, but it sounds like your experience worked out in the end. If Zone2 worked via HDMI and network was stable/reliable I would buy it again. I'll probably wait for next version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 4:46:57 AM PST
Zeriously says:
and when do you think the next version of this receiver will come out?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 1:42:45 PM PST
Jay says:
I'm not sure. I thought based on some of the pricing that it would be soon. I suspected something new at CES but that came and went without anything new.

I ended up just getting a HDMI detective device and cloning the EDID from my Panasonic TV and plugging it in between my Denon 2310CI and the DirecTV box. This fakes the the DirecTV box into thinking the Denon is the TV so that it will allow me to tune in the 3D broadcast channels. This requires that I manually set my TV to Side by Side 3D mode to show the outcome correctly but it's better than blowing hundreds of dollars on a new receiver just to get a couple channels.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 8:23:00 PM PDT
The Pioneer SC-35 and SC-37 are in the range you spent on this Denon. I know they do what you want. Their Home Media Gallery for the internet
connections/local pc media music, etc. has be working with their Elite receivers since they came out with the SC-05/SC-07 about four years ago. I own one and am thinking about getting another. They also use ICE amps(from B & O).

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 11:00:38 PM PDT
Azeem says:
If you set the speaker assign output to zone 3, and assign it to speaker posts, then zone 2 will push sound out the hdmi to your tv so you can have sound.
Once I figured this out, I was able to have zone 1 with 5.1, zone 2 with hdmi to a tv in the bedroom, and zone 3 run 2 outdoor speakera. Unfortunately for me, as soon as I would turn on Audyssey, two zone hdmi would result in constant flicker and dropouts, so I had to return it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›