1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL -- UNLESS YOU'RE TRYING TO GET SICK OR FAT, February 25, 2006
This review is from: Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading some online reviews and have never been so disappointed in a cookbook. Just about every recipe includes high-sodium, high-fat, junky canned and/or processed food ingredients such as cream of mushroom soup. I simply don't eat that way and wasn't about to start just so that I could use my new slow-cooker. In all fairness, many crockpot cookbooks use these ingredients, I've learned, but this one doesn't even seem to have been put together by an expert. It appears to be a compilation of solicited reader submissions and reminds me very much of a community potluck fundraising cookbook. For instance, there are several recipes titled 'pot roast,' each submitted by a different person and no pictures, not that pictures would have changed my opinion of this book. When I purchase a cookbook, I'm trusting the author to have created or at least tried the recipes in the book and to present the best one. Not the case here. I returned the book and went to a local bookstore, and sat there with a bunch of cookbooks, reading through each to determine which one to buy. By the way, "Fix it and foget it lightly" wasn't any better. My selection was 'Not your mother's slow cooker cookbook," which presents recipes using only healthy ingredients that I would actually eat.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2009 4:23:29 PM PST
Niconomicon says:
This review was very helpful. I do not used canned soups and processed ingredients when I cook either and I would like a slow cooker cookbook that did not contain them. Your recommendation was helpful also. I will check it out. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 10:43:06 AM PDT
A Reviewer says:
Thanks for the heads up. I also hate the ubiquitous use of "convenience foods" like cream of mushroom soup-Yuck!

Posted on May 17, 2009 9:37:38 PM PDT
L. Anderson says:
I agree with your comments. Most of the recipes in this book remind me of the cooking we encountered when we lived in the midwest (yuck). I've had this book for several years, and have only found one good recipe (Scandanavian Beans). I'm donating mine to the local library. I've checked out the "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker" and will give those recipes a shot.

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 6:14:51 PM PDT
Coast2Coast says:
Very helpful review. Thank you for including an alternate recommendation, too and not just slamming the book!

Posted on Sep 15, 2009 8:21:21 AM PDT
Thank you. Trying to cook more at home means I want healthy foods, and that means not adding cream of monosodium glutamate soup with high fructose corn syrup to what I'm cooking.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 7:13:02 AM PST
J. Sweeney says:
This review is perfect for me. Thanks so much for it. I am thankful for your recommendation for a healthier cookbook to try.

Posted on May 4, 2012 7:31:47 AM PDT
Your review is spot on. I couldn't have said it better myself. You can basically sum up the whole cookbook by saying "add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix". I am selling my copy in my garage sale for 25 cents. What a waste! I will definitely check out the book you've recommended.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:46:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 8:55:21 AM PDT
I read this review because I am looking for a new slow cooker cookbook for one of my sons. I agree completely with the reviewer. I try to cook with and eat fresh, real ingredients. Something my grandparents would recognize as food. (They grew their own, made their own butter, etc. No comment about the past use of lard, but they worked hard outside, ate lots of veggies and didn't get fat). I love mushroom soup but I make my own, and a potato makes an excellent thickener if you need it. I will check out 'Not your mother's slow cooker cookbook'. Thank you!

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 5:33:33 AM PDT
C. Pittman says:
I have felt the *same* way about this cookbook ever since I bought it years ago! While I have tried a few recipes that were pretty decent, the book is full of so many others that are not. Either they taste bad, use poor ingredients, or the recipe is just another version of the other twelve next to it! Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way about the book. One of the few things I like about it is that it's spiral-bound.

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 10:53:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2013 10:56:25 AM PST
If you have even a smidge of talent in the kitchen, it's very easy to adjust the recipes to fit clean eating or low fat needs. This is one of my favorite cookbooks and I make adjustments all of the time. Instead of using canned soup, make your own cream-of-whatever. Instead of frozen veggies, use fresh. You really can't mess the recipes up. I use them as a guide.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (482 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01