Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

1.0 out of 5 stars outrageous revisionist tripe, July 21, 2010
This review is from: The Original Australians: Story of the Aboriginal People (Paperback)
Josephine Flood is a revisionist historian who for political reasons known only to herself has accepted or invented the task of white-washing Euorpean expansion in Australia and its surrounding islands.........fortunately for the world her interests lie in Australian alone apparently........luckily I was able to look over her work free of charge and I am glad i have not contributed to her finacial well being.
I would place her in the same category as those crackpot revisionists who deny the Jewish holocaust and promote the beneficial effects of British colonialism in India.
Anyone interested in the australian aborigines should ask an australian aborigine what they think of her work.........as well as a the host of scientists and historians who are shocked at her perverse view and conclusions.
Due to the shocking and inaccurate nature of her political views couched in science I would submit that all her other work must be suspect as well unless this particular work is an aberation caused by some sort of mental breakdown or recent neurological damage.
In any event if you are a serious student of history you would be well served to skip this deluded and unfortunate publication.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2011 2:09:25 PM PST
this is a rant and unlikely to persuade any interested person who reads it. how about rewriting it with some real information and insight, and less fury.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 12:33:05 AM PST
no, thank you.

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 1:22:02 AM PDT
That is interesting. I was looking into a good, easily understandable book that describes the history in great detail. This book seemed ok with some of the people giving it high marks but your comment is an interesting one. Claiming someone is a revisionist is a pretty big accusation that is worth looking into more, specially since its my first book and I don't want to be easily led to any deductions. What makes you think that this is a revisionist work? I want to know.

Posted on May 10, 2011 4:05:45 PM PDT
T. Pranger says:
While an entertaining read, this review provides me with no useful information, no specific examples or references and no credentials to support the validity of the claims made. I would have appreciated having such information if this book is as horrendous as the reviewer claims. Previous response from the reviewer to an inquiry for support for the claims made makes me believe that there is no such support to be found.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 4:59:44 PM PST
Daisy says:
I havent read the book but it is the text for a unit on Indigenous studies so I wanted to check it out. One question I would ask all of you is to have a think about how a culture with oral rather than written traditions gets to have their voice and perspective on history and identity? Our history has such a political focus, who gets to write what, so if you really want another perspective on what is spoken and what is censored, try Prof. Regina Ganter's book 'Mixed Relations' University of Western Australia Press. In my opinion this book should be ready by all Australians. The Mati Harege project in 1988 is an example of how historians here do not want to acknowledge that Australia had a long history of contact before Europeans came. While B A Miron's review is passionate, that does not mean it is not valuable or informative and I also applaud her or him for just spilling out thoughts that we can take or leave.
I am an on the ground Australian, I know a fair bit about culture from working in the outback for years, and you have the academics trying to teach about culture from books written by other academics. All my years of learning about history and massacres from the people themselves, hasn't made it into many books, though Blood on the Wattle is one, 'White Divers' of Broome by John Bailey another good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 1:47:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 1:50:34 PM PST
Ajax says:
In response, in this case, I happily defer to Daisy's opinion above. Thank you Daisy for your insight and very pertinent information.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 9:24:08 AM PST
E. Schiro says:
Hi everybody,
I read your interesting comments and I'd appreciate whether you could then suggest a good book on the history of Australian Aborigens.
Eliana

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 3:36:36 AM PDT
Yes, someone please make some suggestions.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 12:01:24 PM PDT
J. Hurd says:
I agree with others here who would appreciate a more informative explanation of what is wrong with this book and what titles would be better to read. I am not Australian and have never been to Australia. I live in the U.S. and have studied Native American history and culture for many years. I know next to nothing about Australian Aboriginals and would like to learn. Knowing what I do about Native American History and how it has been written, I can appreciate the difficulty in finding a book I can trust about Aboriginals. Unfortunately your review does nothing to help me understand what exactly is wrong with this book or what titles to look for instead.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:35:07 AM PDT
Ajax says:
Has ANYONE reading these comments and asking for OTHER sources to choose even bothered to look at Daisy's entry? When I deferred to her I believed it to be adequate indication that she had answered the question of other sources very well. As well, maybe those complaining of my "review" should actually crack a dictionary and read the definition of a review. The author of a review for anything is not required or compelled to compare the item reviewed to any other item nor are they required by any tradition or form to suggest other material. That said, I don't really think anyone should actually consider the comments made in a venue like this as an actual review mostly because there are no credentials necessary and anyone can say anything they want regardless of their ulterior motives and/or vested interests. They are really more like unpaid amateur subjective comments. So, my opinions are just that, opinions, for this book and by extension in this case, the author....................by all means, read it yourself and draw your own conclusions if you care to. My only suggestion would be to find it in a library for free and avoid feeling foolish for having spent money on it afterward.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›