1,936 of 2,127 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great device, user experience could be better, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model) (Electronics)
I've been using Roku 2 XS for a few days now and I must say I like the device, but there are quite a few hiccups. So first the good stuff.

* The Box is tiny and the setup is a breeze. I was up and streaming in under 5 mins.
* Netflix, Huluplus, Amazon and Pandora worked fine
* Streaming in 1080p worked fine without buffering (I use Xfinity) and the quality is superb
* The Ethernet option (available only in XS) is very helpful and the Quality of streaming is far better than wireless

and the not so good stuff:
* The Box does not have adequate memory and needs an external micro-SD card for more capacity
* The device re-booted a few times for me when switching between channels. I was initially very upset with this as the reboot process takes about 3-4 mins. I called support and they asked me to uninstall Angry Birds as it takes up huge amount of space. Did that and then on no re-boots. This sucks as Roku 2 advertises Angry Birds big time and the remote is designed for that, but the device is not capable without additional memory
* It is non-sense that I buy the high end XS version for Ethernet and HD support and I still have to buy HDMI cable and Ethernet cable separately!
* I mainly bought Roku for streaming International Channels and to my horror I found that most of the channels do not work in Roku 2!! Apparently Roku 2's video format is different to that of Roku 1. Roku support says that the Channel provider needs to fix it and the Channel provider's support say that Roku needs to fix it!!! So why advertise them and make me sign up for them then??
* Finally, many channels have sub-channels within them. Switching from One channel is only possible through menus and there are no short-cuts. It takes up to 5 to 6 button press to switch Channels and it obviously sucks.

Verdict:
If Roku is serious of competing with Apple TV and Content is the differentiator, then Roku needs to pay more attention to the content and ensure it works and make the user experience better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 7:51:23 AM PDT
P. Stein says:
Agree. Nice review.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 7:15:40 AM PDT
Im just mad Playon doest work anymore. Roku doesnt support it but it works great on my old Roku but not at all on Roku 2. I do like the expansion slot for adding more channels and games though.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 7:26:32 AM PDT
Have you tried to original Roku? Works great. I am on the fence about getting the Roku2 right now. I will wait until the fix the bugs. Until then, get the original Roku.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 7:43:29 AM PDT
Yes I had a Roku 1 and bought the Roku 2 day one since I was in the 30 day return for the first box. I love everything about the new one except I cant use playon. Playon gave me 90% of what I watched on the Roku. I hope they fix something soon. If you use a media server do not buy Roku 2... It kills it. Alot of other private channels dont work now too but none I really care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 11:02:09 AM PDT
Roku and Roku 2 are already far better than Apple TV for streaming...far more flexible, far more options and features...easy to stream your itunes movies and music that you purchase from the iTunes store. Why would you buy a limited, underperforming apple TV when you can have a far better, open device like the Roku2? plugging storage shouldnt be that big of an issue for you if you are looking to really use this device, it should be expected. Hows your Apple TV storage? duh!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 5:26:46 PM PDT
SHELDON says:
Agree Roku is a better streaming device... still don't know why they can't add support for local media. Just make a media server app like boxee did and have it reside on a computer to serve up local media to the Roku. AppleTV isn't that bad though :)...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 5:45:03 PM PDT
Playon worked fine with Roku 1 but doesnt work with Roku 2 for some reason. It was a great media server. I dont know of any other program that works like that yet. Nowheretv is great though. It fills a bit of the gaps for me. Roku has so much more content that Apple. I dont even think they can compete with Roku at this point.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 7:32:22 PM PDT
Vinay Gopan says:
Mahesh - Are you suggesting that this doesn't work with any of the online streaming companies like YuppTV or Channellive.tv? Thanks and appreciate your response.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 7:58:40 AM PDT
Mahesh says:
Channel Live does not work, so I moved to Yupp TV. Yupp TV stops working every alternate day. Roku support still say that they don't know anything about Yupp TV issues and their only suggestion is I reset the device every time I have a problem, even though I told them that did not work. Yupp TV support tell me that Roku is fixing it, while Roku tell me they are not doing anything!!!

Meanwhile, I still get occasional reboots when switching between Netflix, amazon and other channels.. Overall seems like a rushed product! Stay with Roku 1 until these issues are put to bed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (3,466 customer reviews)
 (1,920)