1,940 of 2,131 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great device, user experience could be better, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model) (Electronics)
I've been using Roku 2 XS for a few days now and I must say I like the device, but there are quite a few hiccups. So first the good stuff.

* The Box is tiny and the setup is a breeze. I was up and streaming in under 5 mins.
* Netflix, Huluplus, Amazon and Pandora worked fine
* Streaming in 1080p worked fine without buffering (I use Xfinity) and the quality is superb
* The Ethernet option (available only in XS) is very helpful and the Quality of streaming is far better than wireless

and the not so good stuff:
* The Box does not have adequate memory and needs an external micro-SD card for more capacity
* The device re-booted a few times for me when switching between channels. I was initially very upset with this as the reboot process takes about 3-4 mins. I called support and they asked me to uninstall Angry Birds as it takes up huge amount of space. Did that and then on no re-boots. This sucks as Roku 2 advertises Angry Birds big time and the remote is designed for that, but the device is not capable without additional memory
* It is non-sense that I buy the high end XS version for Ethernet and HD support and I still have to buy HDMI cable and Ethernet cable separately!
* I mainly bought Roku for streaming International Channels and to my horror I found that most of the channels do not work in Roku 2!! Apparently Roku 2's video format is different to that of Roku 1. Roku support says that the Channel provider needs to fix it and the Channel provider's support say that Roku needs to fix it!!! So why advertise them and make me sign up for them then??
* Finally, many channels have sub-channels within them. Switching from One channel is only possible through menus and there are no short-cuts. It takes up to 5 to 6 button press to switch Channels and it obviously sucks.

Verdict:
If Roku is serious of competing with Apple TV and Content is the differentiator, then Roku needs to pay more attention to the content and ensure it works and make the user experience better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 106 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 12, 2011 12:31:41 AM PDT
VERY HELPFUL REVIEW! Sweeeeeet! I almost bought one. Now I see I need to wait until ROKU has the bugs worked out. I have the older models and they hang, crash from time to time. I will upgrade when they have the bugs worked out. Why pay more money for more of the same performance? Not cool that the device needs more memory in order to work.

I have a question: Will plugging a USB memory stick into the back of the ROKU solve that problem? Or is deleting angry birds the only solution? If you must delet Angry Birds, I think that will lead to Angry Customers.

Also, my old ROKU has a usb slot on it. Does anyone know what that is used for?

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 12:33:02 PM PDT
PC Junkie says:
You seriously complained that it didn't include an ethernet or hdmi cable? All in all a good review but come on, who doesn't have a dozen of these sitting in their closet? Company's throwing these items in, items that many won't even use, runs the price up for everyone. I'll happily buy my own so I can get the correct length (ethernet) and higher quality (hdmi).

I appreciate the rest of the information you provided. I'm still picking one up as this is an initial release of Roku 2 and they always do the necessary firmware upgrades. The original Roku sucked out of the box too if anyone remembers and I also NEVER expect the first release of anything to be perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 12:33:55 PM PDT
PC Junkie says:
The usb slot it used to watch movies or look at pictures from...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 8:23:04 PM PDT
Thanks. I'll have to try some pics on a usb stick. Originally, I believe paperwork siad usb was for maintenance on ROKU 1. I suppose the firmware upgrades may have changed the function of that port.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 6:31:42 AM PDT
The Roku 2 is still a great box it just has one MAJOR issue we have been talking about. I did find I could load a ton more channels with the Roku 2 than my 1. Ive only had the reboot thing once but i did disable the screen saver like some in the forums said to do and its all taken care of now. If I could get playon to work on it like it can for my ps3, 360,wii and Ipad it would be 100% yes buy for me. I have the roku in a room with no video game systems and use it to watch tv only. Angry birds is fun though.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 6:26:20 AM PDT
Alan says:
I bought the Apple TV because I didn't know there was anything else like it at the time. Then friends told me get the Roku and you can get MLB and other things I wanted free or greatly cheaper than anywhere else. Well they were all wrong. Both the Roku and Apple TV work okay if you don't already have an internet ready TV or DVD-player except that both promote certain movie providers like for Apple-TV it is iTunes and Netflix and Roku it is Hulu-Plus and Vudu and Netflix. My Samsung Blu-ray player has more choices for paid and free content over the internet than either Apple TV or the Roku. Why in the heck is that??? It didn't cost me a penny more than the same player without internet capability so I am really wondering why Roku, Apple TV, or Logitech set boxes are even worth anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 6:32:38 AM PDT
Alan says:
Apple TV has tons of optional storage capabilities especially if you use the one with the hard drive or have it on an Airport network. I have both the Roku and Apple TV and find little to recommend one over the other certainly not the actual performance in spite of what they are "supposed" to support. An really good internet connection is key otherwise it is all moot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 3:07:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 17, 2011 3:14:08 AM PDT
Ruby says:
Could you please tell me what model number your Samsung Blu-ray player is? Also I am wondering if I would need an internet ready TV to take advantage of the Samsung Blu-ray player? I have an old box type TV, would this Samsung still provide me with paid and free content over the internet?
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 3:36:08 AM PDT
Ruby says:
Could you please tell me what model number your Samsung Blu-ray player is?
Thank you.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 11:18:39 AM PDT
I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 that is great for netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon and a few other online streaming services but it cant compate to the Channels that the Roku has.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (3,511 customer reviews)
 (1,953)