1,942 of 2,133 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great device, user experience could be better, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model) (Electronics)
I've been using Roku 2 XS for a few days now and I must say I like the device, but there are quite a few hiccups. So first the good stuff.

* The Box is tiny and the setup is a breeze. I was up and streaming in under 5 mins.
* Netflix, Huluplus, Amazon and Pandora worked fine
* Streaming in 1080p worked fine without buffering (I use Xfinity) and the quality is superb
* The Ethernet option (available only in XS) is very helpful and the Quality of streaming is far better than wireless

and the not so good stuff:
* The Box does not have adequate memory and needs an external micro-SD card for more capacity
* The device re-booted a few times for me when switching between channels. I was initially very upset with this as the reboot process takes about 3-4 mins. I called support and they asked me to uninstall Angry Birds as it takes up huge amount of space. Did that and then on no re-boots. This sucks as Roku 2 advertises Angry Birds big time and the remote is designed for that, but the device is not capable without additional memory
* It is non-sense that I buy the high end XS version for Ethernet and HD support and I still have to buy HDMI cable and Ethernet cable separately!
* I mainly bought Roku for streaming International Channels and to my horror I found that most of the channels do not work in Roku 2!! Apparently Roku 2's video format is different to that of Roku 1. Roku support says that the Channel provider needs to fix it and the Channel provider's support say that Roku needs to fix it!!! So why advertise them and make me sign up for them then??
* Finally, many channels have sub-channels within them. Switching from One channel is only possible through menus and there are no short-cuts. It takes up to 5 to 6 button press to switch Channels and it obviously sucks.

Verdict:
If Roku is serious of competing with Apple TV and Content is the differentiator, then Roku needs to pay more attention to the content and ensure it works and make the user experience better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 41-50 of 107 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:41:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 12:46:39 AM PDT
ivysdad says:
Most people are going to keep the box within a foot of the tv, I think providing a cheap 6 foot cable is adequate. If people want to buy another than so be it but it costs these companies a dollar for a cable that you will pay 15 for. Ethernet cable same story, why go buy one when they cost pennies to these guys. When I worked for Directv all of our HD boxes came with an hdmi and ethernet cable in the box and people were thrilled we provided them.

Anyway I was considering buying one so my daughter could watch Netflix in her room instead of on her laptop and the addition of Angry Birds is a plus but 99 dollars seems steep when you can purchase a Sony Bluray player with built in wifi and 3D ready that has Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube and media player to home pc for the same price. I own a Sony that cost me 80 dollars and it works perfectly, I'm thinking she'll stick with Angry Birds on her Evo phone and I'll get another Sony Bluray player for her room.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 7:13:21 AM PDT
Joe says:
Mahesh..Is this issue resolved. I am want to stream channel live and they are offering 2HD free of charge if you sign up for 6 months (not 2XS) and they are claiming it works well. I would like to get 1080P...I am hoping if it works on 2HD, should work on 2XS as well.. Any recent updates ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 8:52:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 8:54:49 AM PDT
E. Stoddard says:
@ Joe:

The issue about reboots? Never had this problem with my Roku 2XS. I'm fairly certain this is because I ordered the 2XS from Roku along with their offered $5 micro-SD card, giving me extra storage. The Roku 2HD will only do 720p (HD), but that is currently the highest output from vendors. Still, 1080p might come in the future, and if you want to be ready for that, you would need either the 2XD or 2XS.

Here is a simple breakdown of the models:

2HD - 720p, wireless only, IR Remote
2XD - 1080p, wireless only, IR Remote
2XS - 1080p, wireless and ethernet port, USB, Special Wii-like Game Remote (Bluetooth)

I have the 2XS model because, while the wireless works pretty good, an ethernet connected box is a little better when loading - a personal preference for me. I've used it both ways and the wireless seems a bit faster than my older first generation Roku XD. I've had no reboot or Angry Birds problems whatsoever with the micro-SD card installed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 6:46:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 6:47:57 PM PDT
Riznstar says:
OH YES IT DOES REQUIRE A CREDIT CARD!!!!!!
I just bought a Roku 2. It is a brick until you give them a live credit card, name address and phone number
that you agree to be sold for marketing purposes. If you do not agree to ALL this , They Say
"Please pack up Roku and return it prepaid to point of purchase."
I found it interesting that the terms and conditions were not posted in the home page of the web site.
They were inside the "Activation " area that you are directed to AFTER purchase. (roku.com/link )BTW

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 8:23:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 9:27:22 AM PDT
E. Stoddard says:
@Riznstar:

I didn't remember having to use a credit card to use the Roku, itself, but I did, apparently, to use the Roku Channel Store when I setup a Roku account. This is not any different than Amazon.com, NewEgg.com, Xbox Live and PayPal.com for that matter, or millions of other online vendors. Very common practice.

******************************************************************************
Here is the Roku Support FAQ:

Do I need to place a payment method on file to create an account?

Roku Support
posted this on Jul-19 23:50

Yes, to create a Roku account you'll need to place a payment method on file. Your Roku account will let you access the Roku Channel Store, which has hundreds of channels to select from, many at no additional charge.

Go here if you want to see it yourself (copy and paste into a browser address bar):

Your credit card is not charged unless you order a Roku specific channel in their Roku channel store. I have NEVER paid Roku ANY service fees whatsoever. Too, they are bound by laws not to make your financial information public; they might share your name and address with partners, but that is all they can do.

Look, whenever you use your credit card ANYWHERE, the merchant has your credit information, whether it be at a physical store or on the Internet. If they want to use it fraudulently, it would certainly be possible. I use a software program to keep track of all my credit card transactions from my creditors websites, and I check regularly. Again, I have NEVER had any additional charge from Roku. I don't use any Roku specific channels. My channels are Netflix, Amazon Video and HuluPlus, with Netflix and HuluPlus being the only services I pay directly to Netflix and HuluPlus - nothing to do with Roku.

So, don't freak out. Your life will not end if you use your credit to activate a Roku member account. The credit card thing was such a non-issue that I forgot I even had to use one during the activation of my Roku account when I setup my first Roku box. I own two boxes, a Roku XD and the newer Roku 2XS. You only setup your account ONCE, not matter how many Roku boxes you use!

*******************************************************************************
Addition: Also, I found this at http://support.roku.com/entries/20293391-are-there-monthly-fees-to-use-the-roku-player:

Are there monthly fees to use the Roku player?

Roku Support
posted this on Jul-19 22:59

No. Many Roku channels offer you high-quality entertainment for free. However, depending on which channels you want to watch, pay-per-view or subscription fees may apply. For example, if you're new to Netflix and want access to thousands of movies and TV shows, you'll need a Netflix unlimited plan, starting at $8.99/month. If you're already a Netflix customer, however, you can start watching right away! With an MLB.TV subscription, you'll get access to thousands of live and on-demand Major League baseball games. Other channels, like Amazon Instant Video and UFC, offer pay-per-view access to their programming. Learn more about our channel partners.

***********************************************************************************

If you have more questions, please go to www.Roku.com and click on your model of Roku when asked and and click the Support link. This will get you to a set of FAQs for your player.

I already had Netflix and HuluPlus accounts before I ever bought my Roku player, which is another reason I don't remember having to use a credit card in the Roku Channel Store. Still, setting up an account using a credit card is no big deal. Almost all sites that offer pay-per-view programming, which Roku does with Amazon Instant Video, requires an active account backed by a credit card. And try using Paypal.com without having an active credit card on file!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 7:51:55 PM PDT
R. Diamond says:
@ Riznstar
You can actually call Roku up on the phone if you don't wish to use a credit card to activate. (This will really take some time via phone)
I just go ahead and activate using the card then immediately delete it from my payment option on the roku site once I'm activated. I've done this twice (Have 2 Rokus). Never seen any charge of any kind from Roku. Been a user of Roku for a year now. I've not seen anyone ever complain about their CC being misused by Roku in any shape or form. I find it interesting that many individuals that complain about the CC section have Amazon Accounts, Itunes Accounts and several other online accounts that have a CC on file. The credit card would only ever be needed if you were to subscribe to a channel that requires a monthly access fee. They are all clearly defined and you won't be ordering anything unintentionally. You can even pin protect channel ordering in your Roku profile so your kids can't order anything. Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc are there own separate thing and don't have anything to do with this arrangement.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 1:54:32 PM PST
Karthik says:
Nice review Mahesh. I was very much tempted to buy this Roku 2 XS model until I read your review. I searched around and found out from anandtech.com that Roku has changed its internal SOC for Roku2 which brings in all this in-compatibilities & limitations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 7:30:27 AM PST
J. ANTONACCI says:
The original Roku does support local media. I have a 2TB HDD attached to my Roku XD. It works fantastic once you transcode movies for Roku.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:45:47 AM PST
Siskoray says:

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 5:05:48 PM PST
I have been a owner of Roku 2 and it works great with all of the south asian channels. Roku frequently releases firmware updates so, don't go by just one review. Both Yupptv and channel live works great.

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (3,584 customer reviews)
 (1,999)