1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! READ UPDATE!!, September 5, 2008
This review is from: Tidy Cats Cat Litter, Breeze, Litter Box Kit System, 1 Kit (Grocery)
I purchased 2 of these systems for my 5 cats (we have 3 other litter boxes). One of my cats injested some of the litter pellets and has been in the veterinarian hospital in bad shape for the last 3 days. After xrays, and sedatives, enemas and iv fluids and blood tests, the vet removed 9 pellets, found a raging UTI and his kidney values are through the roof! I called the manufacturer to find out what was in the pellets and was told: zeolite, silica, cement, and polysomethingorother.
Their website does not tell you that, just says no problem if your cat ingest - it'll will pass thru. Not so! I already have a vet bill in excess of $500 it is climbing because they have to keep him there!!
Update September 15, 2008
Vet bill in excess of $1000, kidney failure and Freddie died on Saturday, September 13, 2008.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2008 4:40:52 PM PDT
nobby1701 says:
I'm currently using Feline Pine for my four cats with a special tray that allows the used compressed pine dust pellets to fall through when they get wet. I use it because it is considered by vets and breeders to be the safest of all litters. I was seriously close to ordering this set until I read that your cat got sick on them. I'm not taking any chances with my boys, even if the youngest loves to throw pellets around the room.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 9:03:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2008 9:05:46 PM PDT
A friend told me about this system and I was considering. I am so sorry for your cat's loss but you may have saved many other lives with your information. I told my friend about your cat and to be careful with her pets. I'm not going to risk it. My dog loves to eat the "kitty cookies" and I have been able to keep her away from the boxes since I discovered her interest. I won't take a chance that any animal, dog or cat, would eat these pellets. Their welfare is my first priority. Regarding Feline Pine, we use something very similar at the animal shelter where I volunteer because it is almost dust free. With cats being prone to upper respiratory infections, this helps a lot. Easier on our HEPA filters and HVAC system too.

Posted on Sep 21, 2008 11:50:18 PM PDT
I also use Feline Pine and my cat is living with CRF and can saturate his litter box while I'm at work. I was considering getting this box for him because in theory it sounds like a great idea. But I cannot risk his health over the pellets. I am so sorry for your loss. I heard of a similar type box that uses safflower seeds as litter. Perhaps someone who's already purchased this box might try that (don't know if they'd work but it would be worth a try).

Posted on Oct 11, 2008 10:51:49 AM PDT
I was almost convinced that I was going to buy this system until I saw your comment. Even the possibility that my cats might suffer at all using this makes it impossible for me to purchase. I am so sorry for your loss but I so appreciate your honesty. If you aren't familiar with Rainbow Bridge, please look for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 5:38:32 PM PDT
daoca says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 5:41:01 PM PDT
daoca says:
Hi. I'm just wondering what "special tray" you're using. I use Feline Pine and have been hand-sifting out the "dust" that's created when the pellets get wet. A tray that does this sounds much easier! Thanks very much for any info you can provide!

Posted on Nov 15, 2008 1:24:34 AM PST
chesmi says:
JanFla, I just read this and I'm so, so sorry to hear of you loss. How horrible this must have been for you. You have my deepest sympathies.

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 1:49:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2008 1:51:53 PM PST
I'm sorry about Freddie. I was considering this system because of the price (the hubby has been skeptical since day 1 since there are pads to buy), but now I'm convinced to stay the heck away if there's even the remotest chance that one of my cats could get sick from the chemical in the compressed pellets. I also have a ferret who likes to play in the cat box, so now it's even MORE of a no-go. It sounds like the chemical they use to compress wood for outdoor decks. Poly-anything always reminds me of epoxy or paints that give off toxic fumes. I think I'd rather spend more money to not have to scoop and to be able to sleep at night.

So add 2 more cats and a ferret to the list your Freddie has saved.

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 10:35:51 AM PST
Ty De Long says:
If you have evidence that his happened, could you please post the name of your veterinarian? We just switched to Tidy Cat Breeze a couple of weeks ago and now my cat has a serious GI blockage right now but my vet says there is no evidence of a problem with the litter. I would love to be able to contact your vet to give our doctor some information. Would you please post the name??

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 3:25:53 AM PST
Dark Helmet says:
While this is indeed tragic, I don't see what the litterbox had to do with your cat's kidney infection. UTIs in male cats are extremely serious and they can die within hours of a complete blockage. It's likely that your cat simply happened to ingest some of the pellets before he died of the effects of the infection.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (2,666 customer reviews)
 (2,062)