5.0 out of 5 stars New To iPod - A Review for People with Large mp3 Collections, September 15, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL (Electronics)
I am quite new to the portable mp3 world, although I have about 250 gb of music on my computer. The only mp3 player I own is a 1 gb Samsung Pebble, which I use at the gym. This was the only mp3 player I thought I needed since both of the stereos in my vehicles have mp3 disc players. But then I started thinking...since my new Camry has an auxilary jack to hook up an mp3 device, wouldn't it be great to have one and get rid of those giant cd wallets?! The first task was to get permission from my wife to spend 250 bucks. After a little hesitation, she agreed. And then it was on to the research. Since I have such a large collection of music, the capacity of the device was number one on my list (as well as positive reviews & quality). I was pleasantly surprised to see that Apple had reissued the Classic in 160 gb form instead of the 120 gb. So after much personal debate between the Zune and the new 160 gb iPod Classic, the iPod won out.

Although the iPod is a fantastic little device with a large capacity, the software is not without its troubles. I downloaded the most current version of iTunes (verison 9) and immediately began importing my mp3 files from my hard drive. This process can take some time, but not much longer than any other media player. I was so excited to finally have the majority of my music all on one device; and have the cover art as well (I just think that is awesome)! After loading a large chunk of my files into iTunes, I noticed that only a handful of the albums had the cover art. I attempted using the "get cover art" function, but it didn't work. My only option was to track down the cover art online, right click, save, and then add the picture to the album file in iTunes. I know that it's not such a huge deal, but when you're dealing with A LOT of music, it can become quite a pain & time consuming. I later learned that the files have to be spelled exactly like they are in iTunes. And if they didn't come from iTunes in the first place, 9 times out of 10, the album art won't come up anyway. I would like to see a function that gets the cover art from other online sources, not just iTunes; and without a strict spelling criteria. There's no reason that the way I name my "The" bands should restrict the retrieval of cover art. An example being "Animals, The" instead of "The Animals."

So other than the minor annoyance with the cover art, the player itself is fantastic. I found the interface very user-friendly and intuitive, without much of a learning curve. Again, I am new to the world of iPod, but I can honestly say that I am very pleased. I wanted to write a review for people that have a large digital music collection that came mostly from ripping cd's to their computers. I am one of the people who still enjoy listening to an entire album, and is not satisfied by just downloading the single, so I still buy physical cd's & collect vinyl. I would definitely recommend the 160 gb iPod to any music fan with a large collection. Just remember to be patient when getting the artwork for all of those older albums. If you don't have a collection full of Taylor Swift, the Jonas Brothers, or Beyonce, iTunes just may not recognize your music!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2009 5:54:37 PM PDT
Salo says:
"There's no reason that the way I name my "The" bands should restrict the retrieval of cover art. An example being "Animals, The" instead of "The Animals."

There is no reason to do that to your artist names, and it's not surprising that iTunes wouldn't recognize them. Your best bet is to simply fix them.

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 10:43:15 PM PDT
Giant Panda says:
Ditto on the cover art. I have images downloaded by Windows Media Player called folder.jpg in each folder but iTunes refuses to recognize them. I just don't like the idea of sending Apple info on my entire music collection just to get the cover art that is freely available on the web. They require you to have an iTunes Store account to download cover art and use Genius. The store account requires a credit card. I bought an ipod to enjoy my music, not to give out my privacy for free.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 7:03:39 PM PDT
Dan M says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:03:44 PM PDT
earle117 says:
It has to do with whether or not the covers show up on his MP3 player, and the part that is handled on the computer is from using software required for his MP3 player as well, it has plenty of place in this review.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 4:35:52 AM PDT
For future reference regarding acquiring album art (because Itunes only acquires it about %50 of the time): Highlight all the tracks on the album and right click. Select "get info". You'll notice a little box for the album art. Google the album and select images at the top of the page. When you find one to your liking, left click and drag and drop it into that little box within the album menu. Select 'ok', and you're done. Itunes adds the image to each track.

You don't have to right click it and save it, then search it out and add it to your albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 1:30:17 PM PST

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 12:01:41 PM PST
Eonic Man says:
Two suggestions for those needing album art for iTunes using a Mac. IEATBRAINZ is a program that analyzes selected music from your iTunes library and updates the tag information (artist name, album name, song name, etc.) by listening to the first few seconds of the track. Clutter is a program that searches for album art using Amazon from a user selected country and adds the resulting image to iTunes. Between these two, it should be relatively easy to upgrade all of your songs to have proper tagging and artwork. Another program that maybe useful is PearLyric which will add the song lyrics to the iTunes library and will be displayed on the iPod as well. Hopefully this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 4:54:02 PM PDT
JustinoJS says:
I always title bands with a "The" prefix (ex The ABCs) as ABCs, The. To get iTunes to sort them under the appropriate first letter and not Ts (for "The"), all you have to do is click "Get Info," then select the "Sorting" tab and in the "Sort Artist" box enter the name by you wish iTunes and your iPod to sort it.

Ex. The Artist box may read "The ABCs" where the Sort Artist box reads "ABCs, The." This will sort The ABCs under the letter A.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2010 6:28:16 PM PDT
J. Salas says:
I've got a 300+ GB music collection, and yes, I found album art for almost everything in there before Apple even made their Cover Art freely downloadable (it used to be, you were not allowed to do that... so i still consider that I nice free perk from Apple when I'm not even buying anything from them.). Still, I find myself often "upgrading" cover art to better resolutions, or finding my own... here are my "go to" sources:

Album Art Exchange (Best quality album art on the internet, period)

Discogs (Very comprehensive)

Sloth Radio (Cover Art Agreegator - pulls from multiple sources, including Amazon)

I also like the 160gb. So much, that I have two of them.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 8:46:24 AM PST