2.0 out of 5 stars Order the Individual Seasons separately, December 12, 2007
This review is from: Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
I love this show but I am returning this box set and decided to order the individual seasons separately for the following reasons:

1) Many of the DVDs are faulty and skip even when they are not physically scratched. I tested this with multiple DVD players which have never given me problems before. If you check other reviews this quality control issue is pretty common with the DVDs from this box set. From what I can tell the quality control on the original season sets is much better.

2) Disc 28 was missing and I got two copies of Disc 29 instead.

3) The corner of the collector's box was broken/damaged when i received it.

4) The discs are spread out through 6 scratch-prone cardboard-like sleeves for each character instead of by Season. Cute, but i don't want to have to open up a damn episode guide and look up the episode number to figure out which season i'm about to watch, while worrying about scratching my DVDs when taking them in and out of the sleeves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2009 1:46:35 AM PDT
Y. Bushehri says:
Did you order it from Amazon or another seller?

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:07:17 PM PDT
I fully agree with item #1 here. I had exactly the same problem. Or perhaps there are counterfeits in the pipeline.

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 11:57:58 AM PDT
J. Green says:
Probably a counterfeit. Unless you buy it from amazon directly or from a store, or have the seller provide pics you are at risk of receiving a chinese knock off. Happened with my complete set of The Wire.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 2:21:38 PM PST
Well I think the copies you bought are the same one's I bought, Chinese knock-off's! Several discs skip or aren't even readable from any dvd player. No booklet came with it like it says here. The image on the actual dvd looks a little grainy. Bought it for $50 from a guy on craigslist which kinda surprised me why he was selling it so cheap.

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 6:36:18 PM PST
R. Anderson says:
I ordered from a guy on ebay and have the same problem. If you look at the disk, there are visible dark spots where I guess the DVD writer missed spots or glitched while burning the data. I didn't get a booklet either so I have to look up what each episode is. At this point I will have to buy the original seasons used from somewhere to replace the discs that don't work. Such a waste.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 11:07:25 AM PST
This is why I stay away from Ebay & Craigslist

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 9:52:13 AM PDT
Paul Vu says:
Purchased from a seller from Amazon, definitely counterfeit. I had the same issue of a damaged corner on the box which lead me to inspect the packaging more thoroughly. The package labels look cheaply printed. I decided to use my amazon app to scan the bar code and no product was found.

Google "friends complete series scam" and a post from a forum should show up comparing the exact same counterfeit item I received compared side by side to the authentic version.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 11:12:54 AM PDT
V. Miranda says:
I have the same problem, many discs won't play and they are not scratched. The disc that won't play have a dark pattern on the back that makes them unreadable by the players. I bought my set at Sam's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 9:01:11 AM PDT
A. Hong says:
Just an FYI. Official DVD's are "Stamped", not "Burned". So if you ever get a disc that looks like it came from a DVD writer (clear visual areas that are burned/written) then that's your first indication that the DVD is a knockoff.

However, some well made knockoffs can also be stamped.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 5:59:27 AM PST
Rextrent says:
This is one of the reasons to always check the lower-star ratings when checking out a possible purchase.
"Thanks!" to all those to give credible and practicle opinion in reviews, be it one star or five.
Is the conclusion that this "all-series collection" is a bad buy and that seasons "should" be purch.separately?
Merry Christmas!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,025 customer reviews)

$202.98 $129.99