5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 3790T everything I expected and more, June 28, 2010
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 3790T 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Received the Garmin 3790T four days ago. I upgraded from a from a Garmin Nuvi 760. My first comment is Wow! The size and physical design of this beauty is amazing. That's the same word that comes out of most people mouth's when I show them my new toy. Physical beauty aside this new unit really is a huge step up from my 760.
The 800 x 480 pixel glass screen is incredibly clear and a huge enhance over my old unit. The multi-point screen works great. Everything about the 3970 is an improvement from the old 760.
One interesting point is the 3790 picks slightly different routes than the 760 used to. I assume this is the nuRoute/trafficTrends in action.
Hands down my favorite feature on the 3790 is Voice Command. When I originally bought this item I had concerns about how well this feature would work. Let me tell you it works great. I can navigate to some place, add stops or phone someone without ever having to pull over or take my hands off the wheel. What a huge safety improvement.
Another seemingly small item they improved that I really like is the zooming. The map zooms in as you slow down and out as you speed up. It does it very smoothly and provides the perfect amount of data for my tastes.
The traffic data is also very useful in urban areas and well presented. However this area contains my only complaint about the product. Using the traffic feature causes small little adds to occasionally pop up on the screen. They are unobtrusive and don't happen very often so far but I would prefer to find a way to turn them off.
All in all I love my new Nuvi. It is one of the best purchases I've made in years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2010 4:19:20 PM PDT
The ads were added a few years ago when the traffic stopped being a subscription service. I think getting ads in exchange for free traffic info is a reasonable trade-off. I think they found that few would pay for the ad-free service.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 4:56:03 AM PDT
Gol4Ram says:
One of these days, garmin would come up with all the best functions included in one product, albeit costly. But for GPS fanatics, cost is not a factor.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 5:48:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2010 5:59:18 AM PDT
PhotoshopCS5 says:
set your home location and activate voice comand. Say " Go Home" and then it will prompt you to "Drive" or "Walk" try and exit.

Also, do you notice that the traffic icon that shows up on the map page while powering it through your cars power port stays on the screen even after you disconnect the unit from the mount? It finally goes away if you power it off and back on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 8:52:33 PM PDT
GeneAlbert says:
I just ordered the 3790T and am awaiting its arrival. I have a question regarding the "T" traffic feature. I had a Garmin nuvi 1690 nuLink and while I had it (before I returned it), it would detect traffic problems in route, and would automatically re-route, avoiding the problem areas, as needed.

My son has a nuvi 255 and purchased the "T" traffic cable separately. It works O.K. in detecting the traffic problems, but does not automatically re-route. He has to reselect his destination and then the system does take the traffic problem ahead into consideration in its new routing. But, again, it does not do it automatically.

My question is this: does the 3790T do automatic re-routing if needed, as does the 1690 nuLink, or does it act like my son's nuvi 255 "T" traffic add on, which requires his re-selecting his destination before it re-routes around the problem areas?

By the way, I tried a TomTom Go 740 Live and it does do automatic re-routing as needed. I am considering buying the newer Go 740 TM. I have been told by TT customer service that the "T" traffic does do automatic re-routing, but I have not heard from any users that it does.

Thanks in advance for the favor of a reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2010 4:11:55 AM PDT
Joe Jazz says:
yes, it does do rerouting and does it really really well. We had a couple of trips, with me and wife in separate cars, and it gave me 15-20 min advantage on a 2hr trip through Boston traffic. If 3690 knows freeway's clogged it will walk you out on a local road for a couple of exits, and then put you back. It works!

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 4:40:23 PM PDT
Kevin says:
Great review. I went from a 760 to a 3790T as well, and absolutely love it. I'll add a few more positives:
-It finds my location MUCH faster than my 760 did.
-The mount is much more sturdy.
-Lots of nice traffic features. On a 6 lane road, this baby will tell you which 2 lanes are going in your direction a few miles down the road, and it also zooms in to show you a picture of the Highway signs to help at junctions. A symbol tells you if traffic flow ahead is green, yellow, or red.
- Small size allows you to easily slip it into a pocket when you leave the car. I went to NYC recently, and used it while walking. Nice!

And a few more negatives:
-The voice recognition feature does not work well for me at all. It's neat, but I end up typing 60% of the time after saying a word over and over again and then giving up.
-It takes a really long time to recalculate. Too long in some cases, causing me to miss a turn.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 11:47:37 PM PDT
WunderChivo says:
I will definitely agree with the rerouting reliability of this model. We were on a long roadtrip moving at a brisk 60mph along a main highway when suddenly the Garmin 3790t made us exit into a shopping district with a moderate amount of stoplight intersections, parallel to the highway.
We thought the machine was screwy at first, and we got tired of the stoplights and turned around to drive all the way back to the highway, right at the point the device originally had us exit.
To our chagrin, just as our car merged on the highway again, we found ourselves bogged down in 20mph traffic. Ug. We were better off with the stoplights! After slapping our foreheads we decided to listen to the Garmin reroute next time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 12:09:30 AM PDT
WunderChivo says:
I can't speak for everyone's experiences with the voice command function, but I found that it was somewhat sensitive to road noise, wind, radio chatter or music. In fact, if any 2 of those noisy factors were ongoing in the background and I started talking to a passenger, on rare occasion the VC mistakenly activated because it thought I was saying the words "Voice Command" through all that noise.
If I kept the noise pollution to a minimum before trying to use Voice Command I had no problem getting the device to understand my words.

From my experience, however, the device does recognize standard words far better than Names or random Store titles. I can't say whether this is a facet of the recognition program but a few times the device wouldn't understand unless I enunciated like an English professor, and often I still had to pick from a list of names it had approximated to the word I spoke (ex: "Best Buy" vs "Breakfast Inn").

That all said, the option to navigate by talking so I could leave my hands free for driving became addictive and helpful. I personally considered it a safety feature worth the extra cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 9:34:43 PM PDT
killshot308 says:
Hey all. I had a N760 until it was recently stolen and both my girlfriend and father have the 760 as gifts from me. They are great little units. On the back of the 760 models there is a copper input jack for an external antenna. I still have my external antenna. Is there a jack for an external on the 3790T? Someone somewhere had said that the new processor or whatever it is that Garmin is using now is much better at locating satellites and locking in quickly. Therefore, external antennas are not required. Anyone have input on that statement? I travel out of state every week for work to Anywhere, USA and in large downtown areas my 760 would basically not know where the hell it was without the external antenna. I live in Chicago too and having strong, accurate signals is imperative.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 8:51:45 PM PDT