4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a decent camera that takes sharp photos, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-FH25A 16.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue) (Camera)
I purchased this because I was very unhappy with the new Canon A3300 that I also purchased just a week before this one. I did extensive photo tests with both cameras because I felt the Canons overall sharpness was bad. Both cameras are 16mp and although i'm a Canon fan I have to say they failed on the A3300. Even with setting custom sharpness, contrast and saturation, the normal straight out of the box settings on the Panasonic were way better.

The two big problems with the canon were most photos even bright outdoors had way too much noise. The other problem was no matter what setting and focus type, only the center areas were in ok and i mean ok focus. All four corners of the photos were on the blurry side and that's just unacceptable. Compared to this Panasonic...wow, much better and much sharper. When fully zoomed in there was a bit of noise but its expected. Night shots depending on how you take them also have noise but again depending on how and what you can work around it a bit.

There are minor differences with the two cameras like the zoom smoothness was a bit better on the canon and the user interface and menu screens were also a bit better on the canon. Not a deal breaker at all because I'd rather have quality over cosmetic things. The other minor things i found were that the Panasonic has the af assist light very close to the top corner of the camera where you put your fingers. Also the on off and photo/play aren't buttons they are switches which i'm a little worried about breaking so we'll see how they last.

One of the biggest differences is that this camera is faster. I found that saving photos is almost instantaneous on the FH25 but on the canon it was about a 4 sec pause to save before you could take another (a "busy" icon shows up. Most of all the functions on the FH25 are faster and i like being able to grab the camera and take photos quickly.

Overall i'm all about quality and sharp photos and this camera does that. If you don't care about the spare battery cost or that the user interface and menus look like 20 years old, i think you'll be happy with this camera.

Photos for the most part are well exposed and using the full Ai seem to always come out perfect. There will be a slight bit of noise in certain shots but sharpness is never an issue. The whole thing about higher mega pixels is better isn't completely true, its all about the sensor size. Do some research about that as I did but believe me, this camera really does a great job. I've posted a few sample photos.

UPDATE 8-17-11
Still loving the picture quality of this small camera. I even tested out the new Canon SX230 and again this FH25 was sharper and photos were exposed better. The full iAuto setting is amazing and it really
does a great job, I've taken photos with it that I will be publishing in my second book next year. That's how good I feel the quality is.

Update: there are batteries available for only $10.00 making this camera a great choice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2011 9:00:24 AM PDT
Your comment regarding the battery is well taken and I appreciate it. For me, that's a deal breaker and I certainly am glad to know about it before buying. Thanks

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 11:38:53 AM PDT
chefmaster says:
The DMW-BCK7PP battery is now available in retail stores and Amazon.com. Just took a month, for some reason, for Panasonic to release it.

Posted on May 3, 2011 7:27:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 17, 2011 5:34:09 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2011 9:24:40 PM PDT
what kind of battery do i need for this camera?

Posted on May 8, 2011 1:27:25 PM PDT
This was an excellent comparison of the two cameras and the information provided about the battery is especially appreciated. I was just amazed and so appreciate the fact that you took the time to give such quality feedback so other folks could make a wise choice in the purchase of this type of electronics. I am not a camera wiz at all so I was focusing on the megapixels and speed of the cameras that I considered for purchase and of course the panasonic appears to be the leader in both areas. Again, thank you for your assistance in helping me to make a better decision.
R. Stewart

Posted on May 10, 2011 5:44:53 PM PDT
W. Hutton says:
Panasonic DMC-FH25A 16.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue) Thanks for the imformation. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that a special battery must be used. I will not purchase any camera that I must pay $50.00 for a special battery or that it must use a OEM battery. That is a deal breaker.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 12:13:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2011 12:15:08 PM PDT
Pankil Shah says:
Panasonic Lumix DMW-BCK7 Lithium-ion Battery Pack is available at amazon and ebay for 49.95.Panasonic DMW-BCK7 Lithium-Ion Battery for DMC-FX78 Camera Bestbuy lists the battery as $69.99 + tax

Posted on May 24, 2011 11:30:22 PM PDT
S. H. Roth says:
Thank you for your excellent and detailed review. I also care most about the picture quality. The price of the battery is incredible--it is almost cheaper to buy a second camera and have both the battery and camera as spares--but for me it is not a deal breaker, although your comments on the picture quality of the Canon A3300 are, which is the other camera I was considering.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 9:07:02 PM PDT
Smilin Sam says:
I read a review from someone who knows cameras inside and out, and he said that the on/off and photo/play buttons are metal in a metal enclosure, so it should not be a problem The rest of the camera housing is plastic, but those two buttons are metal.

Also, I found an OEM battery from www dot videodirect dot com that sells for $32.95 plus $11 shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 1:19:09 PM PDT
Judi says:
Thank you Scott, for such an excellent review. After reading all the reviews, I ordered this camera today for that great price. My other camera is a Canon Elf (6 yrs. old) and has just 6 Megs. I am not an avid picture taker, I use it mostly for vacations. So the battery was not an issue for me. I can't wait to get it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›