5.0 out of 5 stars My GustBuster "Classic" Umbrella Review (VIDEO of "Metro"), January 26, 2010
This review is from: GustBuster Classic 48-Inch Automatic Golf Umbrella (Sports)
Length:: 1:56 Mins

<---Short Test Video of Metro 43 Inch, not the larger 48 Inch Classic.

The GustBuster 48 Inch classic stick style umbrella is probably the last umbrella you may need to buy. Granted you take good care of it and do not leave it on a bus or train.

The umbrella (automatic version) is easy to open, is light weight, and above all lives up to its "gust-busting" claims of very high winds.

Although I do wish it was just a wee bit larger, perhaps 52 inches, it is still large enough to shield most of your upper body in moderate downpours with light winds without having to play umbrella chicken with other folks passing by.

It is a nice one person umbrella...but not for two.

However, for a taller man, the lower legs may still catch some of the rain run off. But not too bad.

While I found the quality of the fabric just average, the handle, stick, and ribs of the product feel strong and stable; ready to tackle high winds. Each outer spoke attaches the upper canopy using elastic bands. The lower canopy seems to be more rigid and attached to the main frame.

When the wind does get under it, both canopies separate allowing the wind to just flow through the large holes, all while keeping you dry. The elastics let the upper canopy stretch upwards which seems to work the magic preventing the umbrella to invert.

The reason I am writing this review is because it passed its real test just yesterday when here on Staten Island, New York, we had heavy rain with wind gusts of up to 50 MPH. (the GustBuster claims it handles 55+ winds).

I figured this was a good opportunity to give it a try.

In between the Supreme Court building and 130 Stuyvesant Pl is like a wind tunnel on days like this. There are always destroyed umbrellas in the garbage bins on either side of the street.

My Gustbuster did its job impressively while everyone else around me had their umbrellas blown inside out.

Before the Gustbuster, I had a Hammacher Schlemmer "wind defying" umbrella which was sort of ok in light to medium winds (25 MPH or so), but did blow inside out on me twice, the second tearing part of the fabric off the ribs.

So, for folks who want a true wind resistant umbrella. Go with the Gustbuster. And also keep in mind that the classic stick style has the best overall quality build.

Just don't lean the umbrella into the wind (as if shielding yourself) since this does put pressure on the ribs, and try and keep it half-open to relief pressure and extend the life.

Don't walk into an EF 1 or higher tornado with it either, ha ha!

Also, the Metro 43 Inch version that I bought as a spare seems a bit flimsy and not as strong as the classic stick version...the parts on the metro feel somewhat cheaper. Didn't give that one the test yet though...

I'm not sure about the larger 62 inch umbrellas.

Hope my review was helpful for those considering this product.

=======
UPDATE! SEE SHORT VIDEO TEST Above ("METRO" MODEL)
=======

Just yesterday (3/13/10) we had extremely strong winds here on Staten Island, New York with reported gusts over 65 MPH.

I figured that this was yet another great opportunity to give my 2 Gustbusters another wind test.

My Classic 48 Inch umbrella performed the same as usual...but it was the smaller 43 Inch Metro that I wanted to test.

Although having somewhat of a lesser construction quality, it held up pretty good. The winds on Fox 5 news were reported around 30 to 35 MPH sustained with gusts of up to 60+ MPH.

The Metro did a very good job at holding together for the most part, but...a very strong gust, probably 55 to 60 MPH I'm guessing, did manage to cause it to finally invert, (not shown in video).

However, no major damage occurred and I just faced it back in to the wind to correct it again.

So, these umbrellas WILL invert, but only in gusts that are extremely high! I live right near the coastline so our winds were some of the stronger gusts. In these cases don't even bother using an umbrella since you're going to be wind-soaked anyway.

Overall, I still rate the Classic stick style at 5 stars (the Metro at 3 1/2 stars due to lesser quality) and trust me that they do perform as advertised. But do expect them to blow inside out in those rare 55+ gusts as it did in my test run.

After all they are labeled and wind tunnel tested at 55+ MPH, so that is pretty accurate and honest advertising.

Hope this update was helpful!

[Add comment]