Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars All the keys are in the right place., July 24, 2010
This review is from: Logitech Keyboard K120 (Personal Computers)
Finally! A basic keyboard where all the keys are in the right place, the layout is familiar, and my touch-typing fingers don't have to learn anything NEW.

What's with all the wrist rests, bubble shaped gigantic keyboards that take up the whole desk? Give me a basic keyboard that WORKS. Logitech continues the tradition of the basic IBM style keyboards with the logitech K120.

When you're typing for years and years, you get tired of companies switching keys around on you. Some of logitech's other models I had to pass up on because they swapped the Insert/Delete/Page up/Pg DN section and made it vertical. But on this keyboard, everything is proper and right.

The price is right: There's no reason to spend $50 on a keyboard unless you want to use your keyboard 45 feet away from the monitor - which is rather absurd for most uses. (perhaps if you have a 60" LCD TV with your computer hooked up to it). But if you're an old fashioned, sit up close, task-chair (not the dreadful "manager's chair") kind of person, this is the keyboard you want.

It's not fancy. Nothing extra. No wrist rest. No "media keys". No programmable function keys. And thank goodness! The only thing the basic microsoft keyboard has over this is it has the "calculator" button, which would really be cool to have on this. But really, there was nothing wrong with the way keyboards were before, and there's nothing wrong with this one now. I love this keyboard, right out of the box.

It's surprisingly quiet too.

Why did I get this keyboard?

My new netbook (Acer Aspire One) doesn't have any ps/2 ports - which is fine 'cause they're not really used much anymore.

BUT - all of my old keyboards use PS/2 connectors. So while I DID order a PS/2 to USB connector from Amazon - it's going to take a couple of weeks to get here and I didn't want to wait.

And who knows? Perhaps when the connector comes in, my fancy keyboards from yester-years may be overshadowed by this new, basic, no-nonsense, works instantly keyboard that I picked up for $12.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2010 3:52:49 PM PDT
C.E. says:
I'm really in it for how quiet the keyboard is. My keyboard right now is pretty loud and annoying.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 8:07:49 AM PDT
One of the things I liked about the Value 100 keyboard was the soft quiet touch, but standard, like the great old keyboards. I am hoping that this model will fill the same niche, and based on your review, it sounds likely. Thank you for the great review. I am curious about how your story ends. Did you use the K120, or did you return to your old keyboard using an adapter? Many of us are inclined to do the latter.

Regards,
proclus

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 8:07:30 AM PDT
I continued using it for about a month. But as I used it as a keyboard for my netbook, I needed the homekeys in front of me when I typed. So I switched to my old no numeric keypad ibm-m shorty keyboard circa 1992. Used that for many months. Now I just use the netbook keyboard (unless I'm in Excel, which I like working quickly in with the regular keyboard. Hope this helps! My mother uses the logitech and she loves it. (She touch types too)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 1:52:42 PM PDT
Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

Regards,
proclus

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 11:57:48 AM PDT
E. Richards says:
Question - how long is the USB cable? (I have a bluetooth keyboard for my media center PC, but sometimes its flaky and I want a cheap, wired keyboard for serious typing sitting close to the TV/monitor. The cord would need to be at least a couple feet...)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 8:15:57 PM PDT
Slides says:
Unfortunately, the cable is not very long. This is my only complaint.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 8:30:49 PM PDT
E. Richards says:
Thanks for getting back to me! I guess if I decide to get it, I'll have to factor in the cost of a USB extension cord. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 8:33:02 PM PDT
If you have dollar tree stores where you live, you can get usb ext. cords there for a buck. They sell them with two male ends, two female ends and the regular kind. So if you get one make sure it has one female end and one male end :o)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 8:24:41 AM PST
bobbyjoe says:
I agree that this keyboard feels really good, but people don't buy more expensive ones for the extra features, they buy them for the feel (sometimes). For example, you could sell your model m for ~$40 (its a lot of people's favorite), and buy the more comfortable logitech illuminated keyboard, or even get a mechanical keyboard for $100 (I have the leopold). Many mechanical keyboards feel better, last longer and have the same basic layout.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:14:16 AM PDT