3,145 of 3,184 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality K3 Cover with Handy Light, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Burnt Orange (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
Length:: 1:31 Mins

I bought the burnt orange color cover so I can spot my Kindle where ever I leave it easily--and hopefully not misplace it! The cover is good quality leather, and even with the cover on, I can slip the K3 into my small purse without squeezing it in--something I could not do with my coverless Kindle 2.

For an easy purchase without having to buy a separate book light, the Kindle 3 lighted cover is a good choice. The light works _great_ reading in bed. I can see all of the lighted screen just fine with the upper right corner a bit brighter. In any of the customer cover videos/pics on Amazon, the camera picks up and exaggerates the brightness of the light in the upper right corner. In real life, it's much less distinct and I don't notice it as I read.

January 2011 UPDATE: The VIDEO shows the cover inside and out without the Kindle, and how the light fits seamlessly and pulls out. I had to keep it short to fit with Amazon's video guidelines. I have a longer lighted cover video on Youtube that continues with connecting the Kindle to the cover, and a demo of using the light in a dark room--see the "UnrulyGuides" Youtube channel for that.

Pluses: Built in light that slips securely out of the way, no batteries to replace, better clips/fit than past covers that connect to Kindle, adequate to light the entire screen, no looking for a booklight, no clipping a booklight to my Kindle and scratching or damaging it, the book light LEDs point down towards the screen, so no bright lights in your eyes.

Minuses: The cover's weight doubles the weight of the Kindle 3 in your hand, the book light stays in one corner and doesn't move around the Kindle, uses more Kindle battery life (it's powered by the Kindle 3 -- and I noticed a definite drain on the battery from using the light). BTW, this cover will NOT fit a Kindle 1 or Kindle 2.

UPDATE: I've used the Kindle light for some months now, and the battery life goes down noticeably as you use the light (esp. if you keep the wireless "On"). Last night I read with the light for about 2 hours after a full charge and today the battery looks down about 15%. At that rate of use (with no wireless constantly "On" and regular reading in the daylight), I estimate the battery will need charging after approx. 1 week.

If the overall cover+Kindle weight is an issue for you--more than protecting your Kindle and the handy light--then this cover is not for you.

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover alone = 233 grams or 8.2 oz

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover + Kindle 3 = 447 grams or 15.75 oz. (almost 1 lb.)

Thickness: Kindle cover + Kindle 3 = 3/4 inch

Cover Measurements (with Kindle inside):

Front: 7 3/4" x 5 1/8" (closer to 3/16")
Back: SAME as front
Spine: 7/8"
Open side (to the right) with Kindle inside: 3/4"

I have to say I'm getting used to the weight with the cover as I use it. The piece of mind of extra Kindle protection, plus a handy light whenever you need it, is worth the trade off for me. '

November 20th UPDATE:

**Still love the cover** and having the light handy without having to think about needing a light _is better than ever_. One thing however, is that the hooks to connect the cover are not sturdy enough, IMO, to take the cover on and off often. The Kindle "wiggles" a bit on the connectors, and be careful not to pull the Kindle forward or up off the back of the cover to avoid bending or breaking the metal connectors. Despite this, I am very happy with this cover after using it almost 3 months now.

December 27th UPDATE: A commenter asked about replacing the LED light -- a really good question.

First of all, we know there's no batteries required, so that is not a concern at all. If the cover light dims, it would be because the Kindle needs recharging. However, the Amazon CS Rep I spoke to said there's no way to replace the LED light, but shouldn't be necessary. So I asked "How long should the light last?," and she said for the life of your Kindle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2010 4:46:59 PM PDT
misaacka says:
FYI, the lighted cover weighs in at 220 grams or 7.8 ounces.

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 6:09:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2010 6:10:42 PM PDT
Kathryn says:
Is the burnt orange color true to that shown on the Amazon page? I am thinking of the burgundy red but it looks brighter than burgundy on my computer screen. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 6:30:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2010 6:37:06 PM PDT
misaacka says:
@Kathryn: I'd describe my burnt orange cover as like the insides of a pumpkin pie. Warm and delicious. It's not a bright, fresh orange, more coppery. I think I might treat mine with a bit of leather conditioner to burnish it a bit. But for now, I'm enjoying the pumpkin pie. ETA: I think the color is very close to what's shown in Amazon's "slanted-spines" photo, in which the lighting is less direct. I also thought about the burgundy, but decided that it just seemed too berry-ish.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 8:33:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2010 8:34:06 PM PDT
Kathryn says:
Thanks for the info. I too like having a brighter color cover so I can find my Kindle around the house.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 1:55:39 PM PDT
Any chance there'll be a video showing the light being used... I want to see how readable the bottom of the page is with this light... And how long does the batte life of the k3 lasts when you use it with this cover (let's say the whole time you're using the k3 you're also using this)?

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 6:28:10 AM PDT
Dee says:
can somebody post a pghoto of the back of the case with the booklight. Is it completely hidden?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 7:47:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 7:51:28 PM PDT
BumbleB says:
I used an electronic kitchen scale and I got 214 grams or 7.55 oz for the lighted cover and 447 or 15.75 oz for the lighted cover with the Kindle 3 inside. Scales vary, but you should get a pretty good idea between this weight and the one misaacka posted earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 7:50:35 PM PDT
BumbleB says:
Kathryn, I compared mine with the screen and in person it's a shade deeper in color -- but hard to say since computer monitors/settings vary. I agree with misaacka, and I think it looks alot like the pumpkin in a can of Libby's pumpkin pie mix. Nice, attractive color--not a neon bright--but a cheerful color.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:02:10 AM PDT
Matt H says:
discussing color. I noticed that the picture for the non-lighted case looks a bit darker and closer to what a couple of you are describing. Is this accurate? I couldn't imagine the lighted/nonlighted being different colors just that the lighted cover has a more direct light source. If anybody could confirm that would be awesome. Direct product links below.

Thanks!
non lighted
Kindle Leather Cover, Burnt Orange (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)
lighted
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Burnt Orange (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 9:03:27 AM PDT
Hey what's going on in your photos? It looks like a word game.. how do you do that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (905 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $99.98
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

BumbleB
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: NW USA