1.0 out of 5 stars Camera will not always power on, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX50 16.2 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 2.7-inch LCD (Silver) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
This camera has a showstopper issue:-

Occasionally the camera will not turn on correctly.
The green LED will light up, but the lens will not come out and there is no power to the LCD screen.
The camera will not respond to any button (green LED remains lit) and one is forced to remove the battery and reinsert it to get the camera functioning again.

I was able to consistently reproduce this issue (3 times) by attempting to power on the camera every day. Typically the issue would happen on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th day. If the camera does power on correctly, then it seems to keep doing so until you put it away for a while.

The main reason for purchasing this camera was to have something on hand that you could quickly take photos with. If the camera doesn't power on correctly then your photo opportunity is probably gone by the time you "fix" the problem by reinserting the battery (along with the fact that the battery compartment doesn't look engineered with this amount of use mind).

Given that two other reviewers have also encountered this problem; I would recommend that would be buyers hold off any purchase for now........

I have sent my camera into Sony service and will update this review with any new findings...........

Other than that, this small camera is really nice; takes great video and reasonable pictures for the couple of weeks I had the camera in my possession.

Update 30-May-2012
==================
Sony repair center called 23-May-2012 and explained that they could not reproduce the problem. I let them know that they needed to leave it off for a day, turn it on etc and usually after 3-4 days they will see the issue. I expect that they turned it off/on a few times in a row; which if it works the first time will continue to work.

Not sure why they called, since they did not apparently care about the extra information I gave them. The tracking number of the returned package shows that it left their facility on 23-May-2012; so they didn't even wait one day to try again. They don't seem too interested in understanding what may be a flaw with their product (hopefully something that a firmware upgrade can solve down the road). I'm willing to help them; but they don't seem too interested..........

We now have the camera back again with no repair/investigation done. It worked the first and second day; but today again the camera hung when we powered it on. We haven't even taken any photos or video with it.

I'll call Sony Repair center again and have it sent back a second time...... Obviously not a very satisfied Sony customer at the moment.

Update 8-July-2012
==================

Another cycle with Sony repair center completed. Again, they sent the camera back to me unfixed with "problem not reproduced". I went through the same procedure and powered the camera on every day and on the 4th day, the power on hang issue was reproduced again. I took video footage for each day to demonstrate the issue with Sony.

Sony service center is scheduled to call me next week to discuss the issue further.....

We have had this camera since April and I starting to get very concerned that Sony is not serious in helping us with this fault....... It's really worthless to us if it cannot reliably power on; We can't get Sony to fix/acknowledge the issue; we can't return it now and we can't sell it so we may end up simply having to "write it off" and buy another brand.

I'll update the thread with any further progress.

Update 2-September-2012
=======================

We received the camera back from Sony repair center on 24-August-2012; this took much longer than the last two times we sent the camera in. So we were cautiously optimistic that Sony was looking into our problem a little more seriously and the DVD disc with HD video showing the issue probably helped convince them that we did have a problem (I guess they must be inundated with people going out of their way to send them goods that are working fine!).

Anyway, they did replace the logic board in the camera and it has now powered on every time without an issue over the last several days. I'd be curious to know if the new logic board includes a new firmware, but I couldn't find anyway to check this out.

Sony did eventually resolve the issue; primarily due to my persistence in sending back the camera multiple times. However it has taken around 4 months to get a working camera (now with 7 months warranty left). Other than that, it does look like a nice little compact camera!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2012 12:29:13 PM PDT
I have the same problem with mine! Very frustrating! Thx for the tip on taking out the battery. That worked for me as well.

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 6:59:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 4:55:54 AM PST
Dogboy says:
Exactly the same problem with our new WX50. I guessed removing the battery would help, and it did the first couple of times this happened. Now even that won't work. Will be taking back to store today. Too bad, because pictures were fabulous.

Update: November 2012
I liked the camera so much that I returned it and took a chance on another of the same model. The second one has been fine, and it's received a lot of use in the meantime. The only minor problem I've had is that the placement of the review button on the back of the camera is such that it's too easy to turn the camera on accidentally. I finally resolved this by finding a case that is hard on one side, and I always insert the camera with the back facing the hard surface. It's all worth it because the pictures from this little camera are really terrific.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 7:35:53 AM PDT
Garik Syhoi says:
I would record this issue on video, burned to DVD or CD and send it to Sony with your camera.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 9:44:24 AM PDT
Eric Peralta says:
I too have this problem. When it happens I also take the battery out.
It always seems to happen when you need the camera on as fast as possible. :-)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:55:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 3:55:45 AM PST
D. Cross says:
I have the same problem as well. I was hoping for a new firmware to fix this issue but it sounds like that will not correct the issue.
Thank you for posting and updating your review! Hopefully this issue has now been identified properly so other frustrated users can get this fixed by Sony Support quickly.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:16:38 AM PST
David Abbot says:
This comment isn't on this particular camera, but rather is a response to what the reviewer says about Sony's rather poor service. I bought a Sony camcorder, and then wanted to get a mic for it, because a decent external mic always works better than any manufacturer's on-board mic. So I took it to the Seattle area's two primary audio supply stores, but they couldn't get any of their mics to work with it. So I called Sony, and the guy I talked with (from his accent, I'd say he was in India) actually said that he could not find any information on what kind of mic would work with my new Sony camcorder. I asked if I could talk with his supervisor, and he said his supervisor was busy. So I returned the Sony, and bought a Canon, which takes any standard mic.

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 12:40:23 PM PST
Mari Seder says:
Similar problem. Cant get even get the lens to open. At first I though it was due to the charger failing. Perhaps or not. Dont know if the camera is fully charged, as the in process, the charging light stays on for only about 5 minutes. Very frustrating since I have the camera here in Mexico to take photographs .

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 11:32:40 AM PST
Diane W. says:
My camera is doing the same thing. I have it for 2 years

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 12:12:16 PM PDT
elden2010 says:
same problem here. It occasionally happens. Just keep pushing a few more times.

Satisfied with the camera otherwise.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 12:14:06 PM PDT
Tad L says:
It would be interesting to know the temperature at which the camera is being kept. I have had this problem only if I leave my camera in my work truck overnight, and it's been too cold to operate. The green light illuminates, then the camera does nothing and goes to sleep. My toddler splashed water at me as I took a pic of him in the pool and water got in the camera and I thought it was toast after that, and from time to time, it goes in the mode you are talking about, too. If it's really humid, or too cold, and brought inside, the condensation may be preventing proper function.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›