3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the 3rd Addition, September 5, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Settlers of Catan (Toy)
We are avid players of Settlers (and love it), but this newest addition has some flaws that make us wish we would have bought the 3rd addition. We have had the game for about 8 months, and the interlocking border (instead of the regular hexagon pieces in the 3rd addition) have never fit right. It takes three people to get everything into place, and even then the border warps and the pieces pop out. They interlock like a puzzle piece, and they are starting to wear out, so we have finally given up on getting everything together correctly. If you were worried about the 3rd addition getting bumped and jumbled, you simply had to set up the game on a tablecloth or piece of fabric. This newer addition is impossible to setup correctly, especially as it ages.

Also note you cannot use your old expansion packs with the newer addition, as the pieces are different. You now have to pay for all the newer versions of the expansion packs, how convenient.

We still love this game and will play it regularly, it just seems the "advancements" were not tested or well planned. It is also bothersome that they made the newer additions incompatible with the old expansions, you can easily spend $150 on this game and the expansions, and you would expect that investment to last... it is a board game after all!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2008 1:06:16 PM PST
I have to agree with R. Major. The new tiles are much cheaper than the old ones, and don't fit nearly so well: with our set, the border pops off the table a little, making it difficult to fit the pieces nicely inside, and it is, overall, much more difficult to put the whole thing together with the border than it was with the previous edition. I do think they've made several improvements with the new version (such as the tray to put stuff in, and the inclusion of the border at the start), but it seems that quality has decreased somewhat.

Posted on Jan 23, 2009 1:08:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2009 1:20:08 PM PST
Buddy says:
I requested this game for Christmas, having played the 3rd edition many times with friends. I had read this review and was apprehensive about the border, but my game pieces fit together perfectly. I play with friends at the bar, and it was nice to be able to move the board around to make room for drinks and food.

I understand that the issue of the board warping and puzzle pieces not fitting happens over time, but it seems to me that using a utility knife to remove the puzzle tabs would solve that problem. The border wouldn't lock anymore of course, but neither did the 3rd edition.

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 8:43:24 PM PDT
M. Eve says:
Just received the 4th edition for Father's Day. I learned Settlers playing with friends who had the original game. The origianl tiles were much heavier and stabler. Really seems foolish to cut corners to save a couple of dollars in the final price. Also, straight out of the box, the border was warped and was worse than no border so we didn't use it. A big thumbs up for the game, a big thumbs down for reducing the quality of the pieces.

Posted on Oct 17, 2009 7:11:03 PM PDT
We also had the problem of the border (and tiles) being slightly warped and not fitting together well. We eventually decided to gently force them to warp the other way until they were quite flat. This worked very well, and after a few corrections, the pieces remained flat for good. I never had an earlier edition, so I don't have anything to compare to, but I love the game so much that I may consider picking up an earlier version so I can compare them!!

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 8:58:32 PM PST
just ol me says:

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 4:48:02 PM PST
China Reader says:
I got this game for Christmas and we just played it for the first time today. I was forewarned about the borders and found them to be just as was said - not flat and the hex terrain tiles would slip under them. I glued them to a piece of corkboard that I cut out which cuts down on the travel-ability but we don't take games anywhere but our house. If you are adept with a saw, you could do better probably with a piece of wood or plywood. Be warned that you should make sure the tiles fit in well before the glue sets! We found the fit a little tight and had to file down the tiles. Seems ridiculous after paying $40 or whatever for the game. It is a great game, though. Our 10 year old daughter "won" but wouldn't play her development card giving her the 10th victory point because she didn't want the game to end! Never had the previous edition so I don't know any better.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 9:38:26 AM PST
Kent Miller says:
I guess we're lucky - for whatever its worth, we don't have any problems with our board assembly. The border works fine and the hex pieces are nice & tight - assembles easy and puts up easily. We've probably played about a dozen games. Maybe it gets looser with use?

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 4:49:09 PM PDT
Joey Hess says:
Sounds like they've ruined it for me. The heft and quality of the original edition made the game for me.

Also, this border eliminates the best house rule, which was to mix the water hexes in with the land and randomly deal a board with a unique shaped landmass, and often separate islands too.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:26:25 AM PDT
Len says:
Just as the other commenters have noted, they cheaped out on the tile thickness and the frame. It is warped out of the box and really annoying. If you are going to cut corners, that's OK, but make sure it works! I would not recommend buying this game. There are other Euro games, and with better quality out there...

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:10:54 PM PST
Ragnar says:
Sadly, the 3rd Edition is now out of print, and people are charging outrageous prices for it (I've seen $180 just for the 5-6 player expansion).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,675 customer reviews)
 (1,376)