Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet the official iPhone killer!, August 16, 2013
I needed a lighter phone than my Google Nexus and was very close to getting an iPhone 5 due to the size and weight, but thankfully a colleague told me about the S4 mini before switching over! This phone is absolutely awesome. I am one of those people who HATE big screen phones, so this is a Godsend for me. It's fast. Perfect size. Light. Built extremely well for a "mini" model. Many many features. It's the perfect iPhone killer and has a much lower radiation output too.

Its SAR rating (radiation level) is hardly 0.33 watts per kilogram of body mass (on a scale of 0 to 1.60!). Phones with such a low SAR rating are very rare, and much lower than the iPhone 5 which is a whopping 1.6 watts per kilogram!

The best part, it's UNLOCKED so you can use tethering all you want with no extra charges. Just be warned, LTE may not work on many carriers so check that ahead of time. Mine runs on AT&T HSPA+ and I'm happy with the speed.

Don't listen to the bad reviews here. People complaining about the Micro SIM are just delusional, any major carrier will provide a new SIM for free. Just make sure you get a SAMSUNG SEALED PHONE or send it back! The first one I received was not sealed and wasn't even LTE. Amazon exchanged it for the right one. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2013 1:46:16 PM PDT
Hello Sam,

Your comment is good. I am between Iphone and this S4 Mini. Then, you say that S4 mini is better than it. Mmmm, I guess i will buy it!!!....greetings!!!

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 7:49:33 AM PDT
Thanks for the info. I purchased an s4 mini i9195 from WorldWide distributers but I am having trouble getting a spare battery for it. All the batteries for sale here and on Ebay have two slots as guides at the contact end - they won't fit in my phone. My guides are like half circle cuts.

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 7:35:50 PM PDT
Can you explain what AT&T HSPA+ is? I have at&t service but don't know what that is and I don't wanna buy the Mini if it'll be as slow as 3g....thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2013 12:55:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2013 12:56:25 AM PST
SickSix says:
HSPA+ is non-LTE 4G. It's quite a bit quicker than standard 3G (on AT&T in my area with my S4 Mini, I hit 12Mb/s download and around 2Mb/s upload regularly - it's about as fast as AT&T's U-verse "max" plan for home internet) and doesn't seem to drain the battery nearly as bad as LTE. Then again, it all depends on the network in your area, how many people are pegging the towers nearest to you, and the signal strength you receive on your device. In my area, I have full bars until I get near town, about 12 miles away, and I live in a small population area; but in any case, your mileage may vary.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 1:26:12 PM PST
lon... says:
So they do have this phone sealed in the box, right? I thought they would only ship the phones with already opened boxes...tks!

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 6:53:47 AM PST
Question: did your phone have an Orange (France) pre-installed software or it was pure unlocked phone? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 7:37:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2014 7:49:03 PM PDT
Where are you getting that low SAR rating? According to Samsung the SAR ratings for the GT-I9195 are much higher in the United States.
Head SAR : 0.89 W/Kg
Body SAR : 1.38 W/Kg
www.samsung.com/sar/sarMain?site_cd=global&prd_mdl_name=GT-I9195

For most (all?) other countries, the SAR rating for the same phone is closer to 0.3 W/Kg. I don't understand the reason for the large difference. Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 5:46:55 AM PDT
Be sure to compare 4G models. In 3G SAR is significantly lower. In US with A&T you don't use 4G so the 0.3 W/Kg sounds reasonable.

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 11:06:28 PM PDT
I Really agree with you.... I totally liked the phone.
But you should be very carefull from whom you buy it. When you receive it, CHECK THE MODEL # BEHIND THE BATTERY.
And you should listen to the bad reviews, because maybe they got the wrong or an used phone, as you and I both got at first.
It's more important to CHECK THE SELLER, rather than the phone.

Mine is working HSPA+ in Claro Ecuador. I have an old unlimited data plan, but I just cut the sim and it's working ok.

I first bought one from "Quality_Services_Best_Practices" and got a cheap used GSM cell (GTS7562), packaged as an i9195.
I had to return it to Amazon, and had to buy the same phone from a different seller (Wireless Experts, Inc.)

Quoting Sam "Just make sure you get a SAMSUNG SEALED PHONE or send it back!"

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 7:00:52 PM PDT
Cindy says:
Ok, so I bought this phone about a week ago and am starting to think it was not unlocked. When I turn it on, there's a Cosmote logo that comes on when I turn it on..it is really bugging me..another strange thing is that the internet logo is green instead of the little earth globe..someone please help...that cosmote.com greek cellphone provider logo is soo annoying!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›