The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars The one to beat....better than my Garmin and my Nike GPS., November 28, 2011
This review is from: MOTOACTV 8 GB GPS Fitness Tracker and Music Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So a little about me. I am a recreational runner and not a hardcore running enthusiast. I run anywhere from 12 to 18 miles a week. I run 5k races on occasion for fun with other family members. So I would say I'm probably your typical "trying to stay in shape" recreational runner.

I have tried several other GPS running watches and the MOTOACTV is by far the best experience in my book. The first watch I purchased was the Nike Sportband. It was not very good. The screen went out on me after several months and I was limited to only Nike shoes where I could put the pod into the sole. It was not very sweat resistant and I kept having problems with sweat getting into the USB plug in. The watch did not have GPS so the distance calculations were not as accurate as I would have liked either. Overall not impressed. The MOTOACTV is so much better I almost feel ashamed to compare them.

The next watch I got was the Garmin 305. I felt like I was wearing a toaster oven on my wrist that thing was so big! It seemed like it took quite some time to acquire satellites as I was always waiting for it to lock on with the GPS. It was also not very comfortable to wear. The included software was pretty bare bones and, while it provides good info, was not all that user friendly or "immersive". It was nice to have the heart rate monitor but being a recreational runner I never felt like I needed it or really was making any good use out of it. Overall the Garmin performs basic functions well but the MOTOACTV really just out-classes the Garmin with all the functions at it's disposal including the more user friendly experience, small size, awesome screen, music playing ability, etc.

This brings me to my most recent purchase prior to the MOTOACTV....the Nike Sportwatch GPS. This is Nike's big entry into the GPS running watch world. It looks cool, but is bulky compared to the MOTOACTV. It picks up GPS signals reasonably fast but the MOTOACTV was just as fast if not faster. The Nike has a "touchscreen" but I would call it more of a "mash my finger into the screen hard until something happens" screen. There are times when I literally had to poke much harder than I should have to get the screen to recognize my tap. That's not much fun when you're out running at night and you are concentrating more on trying to mash your finger into the screen so it lights up than you are on the road ahead. The MOTOACTV touch screen has responded quickly and accurately to all my touches without the need to mash my finger into it. While the Nike does have GPS if you are on a treadmill or something similar you still have the little nike pod that goes in the sole of the shoe so that limited my shoe choices somewhat. The nike plus site is probably the best thing going for the Nike watch right now and is aesthetically pleasing and provides good info. The Nike sportwatch GPS is not a bad watch but you get so much more with the MOTOACTV and the actual experience is more immersive due in large part to the awesome screen.

The MOTOACTV has a great little screen.....I know I have mentioned that several other times in the review but it is so nice I wanted to mention it again. The touchscreen works flawlessly. The screen is vibrant and bright (you can actually set the brightness level). You get all the relevant run data you need right on the screen during your run....and how cool is it that you can see a little map of your run as you go. Being able to sync wirelessly is another feature that is awesome....also I'm a big android fan and it is a great app. You can sync your itunes songs and it even has a "smart" music player so it can try to determine what songs motivate you to perform better...seems to pick up my "aggresive" song selections fairly well. The MOTOACTV.COM site provides a lot of great info and training planning. I still like the Nike site a little better, mainly from an aesthetic perspective, but I fully expect the MOTOACTV site to blossom and get better as Motorola really seems to take user feedback into consideration for things like this. There are a nice selction of accessories either available now or coming soon including a pair of wireless headphones that have a heartrate monitor built in! It will be nice to have the option to track my heartrate without having to wear one of those godawful heart beat bands around my chest. Another thing that may not matter to some is the audio quality....it's pretty darn impressive. I'm not an audiophile by any means but the same song played on this sounds just as good as on my ipod touch. Also, the watch and arm bands are very comfortable and should not be an issue for longer runs....although I usually only do a 5k at most.

During the past several years I have been using the running watches mentioned above and they have all had their issues. I know this is somewhat of a long review but I have been using running watch type devices like this for several years now and really wanted to at least provide some type of comparison between the other watches I have used and the MOTOACTV. The MOTOACTV comes as close as I have experienced to being the ideal running device, both from a functionality and "fun to use" perspective. Nothing is perfect and some may find issue with some things that don't bother me but I have to say I am really impressed with Motorolas entry into the running device world. While this device may be a little more expensive than some other options you get what you pay for and the added expense is more than worth it in my opinion. It actually makes me want to run just so I can use the cool little features of the MOTOACTV. In this users opinion it's highly recommended.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:31:01 AM PST
Thanks, Bearcat -- looks like MOTOACTV is a really good fit for your purposes. Agree that you will likely see improvements to the Web portal over the coming months. We're getting a lot of requests and suggestions from owners like you that the team is considering.

If you need help or want to join a group of other MOTOACTV owners, please visit us on the Motorola Owners' Forums (https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/motoactv) where there is a growing MOTOACTV community.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 9:31:01 AM PST

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 8:52:20 PM PST
New to this -- can an audio book be loaded and listened to?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 9:40:48 AM PST
Sure. I would probably use drag-and-drop to make sure I got my chapters loaded correctly.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:47:19 PM PDT
Jim Keith says:
How does the gps caccuracy compare to others? Specifically compared to the iPhone? I use my iPhone to track my runs, but when I run at the track it gets off by about a tenth of a mile for each mile run. I'm intrigued by the motoactv, but it's got to have a better gps to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 10:19:06 AM PDT
M. Rodriguez says:
Good review. Although I think there is a bias-ness to the 5-star rating. You got this thing for free. Would you have paid $200 for it?

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 6:40:56 AM PDT
Since this review has so many readers, I wanted to post here that we are delighted to announce that the MOTOACTVTM App will be available for all Android smartphones (Android 2.1 and later) - starting Monday, April 2nd. Plus, it has been updated and packed with new features, such as the ability to launch your planned workouts from your Android smartphone and track progress of your personal fitness goals on your phone.

You also get the great Bluetooth® enabled functionality between your MOTOACTV and Android smartphone such as receiving notifications of incoming calls, ability to redial calls from the MOTOACTV, see calendar notifications and receive text messages.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 5:05:04 PM PDT
J. Holman says:
Hi Matt.. I just received my MOTOACTV (awesome product!) , but it appears that Audible (amazon) audiobooks won't sync. It says, "copied successfully: 0 files" and "Not copied: 1 files are unsupported" I checked the format and they appear to have a .aa extension. Any thoughts? I'd imagine a lot of users download audio books from Audible.com? I'm not sure where to drag and drop the file(s)? I have listened to audible books on my Android phone, but I'm not sure if the MOTOACTV player recognizes the file?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 5:20:49 PM PDT
J. Holman says:
Hi again, I found the forum and added my request for Audible Audiobook support. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 3:21:40 PM PDT
sfvegan says:
Great review thanks

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:22:58 PM PST
Aimee says:
I'm considering this watch, since I recently switched from iPhone to Android (samsung galaxy 3). The phone is wayyy too big to carry on runs, so I've lost my favorite GPS running app. Will this watch work with any Android phone, or only Motorola phones?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›