Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars The Kafka modem, March 5, 2012
This review is from: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 - High Speed Cable Modem (CMD31T) (Personal Computers)
You should know that Netgear does not sell this modem to individuals, only ISPs. At least that's what Netgear keeps telling me. It's pretty frightening when a company that is supposed to be a major internet player can't do a Google search to see that over 100 stores sell this modem directly to users.

My CMD31T died six weeks after it was purchased. One day it was working fine and the next day I had no internet connection with my ISP. First I called my ISP and did all the stuff they asked. Then my ISP sent out a technician with a network analyzer. My connection was fine, the modem was not. Then the nightmare begins.

The Netgear support number connects to a call center in India. Everyone there follows the script EXACTLY. The first Customer Service Representative (CSR) told me that Netgear does not do support for this modem, I have to call my ISP. I call my ISP to check and they confirmed that since this was a privately purchased modem that Netgear was responsible for support. The second CSR had me do a bunch of diagnostic steps. Nothing worked, but since I could still see the GUI in the modem, the modem MUST be fine. The third CSR told me to call the ISP and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, blew me off. The forth CSR said someone from Netgear would call me. I'm still waiting for an RMA so I can return this modem two weeks later.

BTW, forget any support if you run Linux. You can tell the CSR your IP address, DNS, and default route, (which are MUCH easier to find in Linux) but if you are not running windoze they tell you they can't do support.

The technician from the ISP recommended Arris or Motorola. I bought a Motorola modem because I might not ever get an RMA from Netgear.

If you buy this modem and it fails you will not get any support from Netgear.

9 March 2012 Update:

My first Email contact with Netgear was 22 February 2012. I have sent them my Amazon purchase receipt twice. Still no RMA from Netgear. I am sending an Email to Netgear Technical Support every few days telling them I still have not received an RMA. If I ever receive an RMA I will post how long it took.

So far my Motorola SURFboard SBG901 is working O.K. It's not DOCSIS 3.0 but at least it works.

22 March 2012 Update:

It looks like Netgear is never going to send me an RMA. The only response I get from Chithra or Vishnu or Simbhu or Arif is "Please wait so that they can get the necessary details from them to assist you better." I will be happy to post or forward any of these Emails from Netgear.

Netgear automatically closes any support case in seven days if you do not reply to their Email. They are hoping I will get tired of waiting and just write off the $90 I paid for the CMD31T. Please think twice before buying any Netgear product

24 March 2012 Update;

Check out the comment from Netgear!!! They won't respond to my support case but they sure as heckfire will try and spin bad PR!!! Oh, IPV6 is the problem? Then why has my Motorola modem worked perfectly the day after my Netgear modem failed? Maybe Motorola makes a better product than Netgear. Or maybe my ISP temporarily switched to IPV6 and then waited until I called to tell them I bought a Motorola modem and immediately switched back to IPV4 so the Motorola modem worked. Hmmm... I wonder?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2012 1:54:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2014 6:25:57 PM PST
Mark says:
I just bought the CMD31T tonight, 3/21/2012, at Fry's for $89. I noticed a lot of online places have it for $75 +/-. Don't know why you were having a problem finding it for purchase anywhere? I bought it to replace a 5-year-old Motorola Surfboard from Cox cable. So far this thing screams WAY faster than the Surfboard. I'm also running a Netgear N router, dual band, dual radio (WNDR4500 maybe?), so the 2 seem to work better together than other setups I have had. I have 16 different things running off the router. 4 wired and the rest wireless. No problems, but of course all 16 things aren't running at once. We can have like 6 or 7 things running at once though and there's no degradation to the connection. For instance, we'll have 3 laptops, 2 Roku's and an Xbox, all wireless, running at once. No problem and the Roku's are still getting HD performance.

EDIT: Well, here we are 2-20-14, nearly 2 years after I bought this modem and you know what? It's still going strong and running perfectly fine! I had some issues for awhile, but it turned out to be Cox Cable and not the modem. I switched back to the old Surfboard and it acted the same, so I knew it was them? Lots of drop-outs and shutting off for minutes at a time.

The only change I'm looking at now is that there are new models out that get twice the throughput that this one does? So I may upgrade to one in the future? The newest Motorola Surfboards are getting the highest ratings, and if you are interested, make sure to thoroughly research them? They are not created equal by any stretch? Even a single model number from one to the other has vastly different features and results! I forget the exact model numbers offhand, but say you're looking at the 6120 and the 6125, they can be completely different beasts even though they are in the same model family? A Volkswagen vs. a Corvette kind of difference.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 12:25:01 PM PDT
NETGEAR Team says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hello John,

Recently Comcast upgraded their systems to IPV6 in select areas, which caused the Internet connection to fail for a small percentage of our customers. We have been in touch with Comcast the last few days, and since then they have rolled back to the older system and all customers should be online. We are working with Comcast to ensure that such situations are avoided and our software running on the modem is able to negotiate any future upgrades to their systems.

Also, we apologize sincerely for the trouble you had with tech support. If you continue to have problems, please email us at amazon@netgear.com.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:58:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 6:03:05 AM PDT
Is IPv6 vs IPv4 actually the issue that's going on here? I bought our modem at Fry's as well for about the same price as M.Hamilton and all was fine for the first month or two and then we started getting intermittent drops. It was VERY frustrating. We had to pay $$ to have Comcast techs come out.

I mean straight up on the box it says it's compatible with Comcast - apparently it's not. And we're well within the first 6 months of use and it is incompatible?! I want a refund or a fix! Basically my symptoms would be that my signal would just drop - for no reason. Say like during a Netflix movie it could drop say 5x during one movie. Or uploading files for work - it'd drop, of course, several times - forcing me to start over and over and over and over again. Like it was just losing sync or something.

I must admit that the Online Support is HORRIBLE. Basically you write and you get a generic response followed a day or two later with another. I had "Chay Ann Garan" respond to me that was basically telling me to go

1. What is the Mac address of the modem that you have?
2. What is your Comcast account number?
3. Please try attaching the file if the settings page of your modem. However, if you are having difficulty attaching the file, please upload the image to www.filetolink.com and get the URL.

The problem was I can't get online with that modem at all anymore.

The last Comcast tech told us straight up, they had had a meeting and would not support that modem at all - this was mid April.

The experience is beyond frustrating.

And then to make it worse to respond with their info request (which I can't fulfil anyways) I can't email it back I had to go back in and resubmit a claim because they can't receive replys. WTF is that?!

Please DO NOT REPLY to the e-mail sent to your e-mail address. Instead, if you want to reply to the message above and have additional query, please click "NO" when the system ask you "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?"

When you select "YES", your case will be closed and a separate e-mail containing a survey link will be sent to you to measure your customer support experience.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

I will write your team at amazon@netgear.com and see if you can help me better than these people overseas that can not relate to my issue whatsoever.

Posted on May 4, 2012 6:08:04 AM PDT
I think the issue is likely this IPv6 vs IPv4. My Motorola (also a DOSIS 3.0) stopped working as well, which is why I bought this one.

We are temporarily renting a modem from Comcast while someone figures out WTF is going on because I'm sure there's a lot of people who bought either this or the Motorla and having similar issues. Maybe there's a firmware update they can push or something. Of course with the Comcast modem there's been not one drop in a month

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:50:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 3:51:35 PM PDT
Mark says:
I guess I got lucky with Cox? They actually had some kind of set up on their end for this modem (or at least I found a knowledgeable tech).

Also, some time ago I read an article like, "IPv6 is coming, what you need to know." Then I googled "what to tweak for IPv6" and made a few adjustments to Windows and my wireless setup. I have never had so much as a hiccup since then.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 9:39:21 AM PDT
This modem is available on Netgear's own online store: http://store.netgear.com/store/netgear/en_US/pd/productID.245863600
or http://tinyurl.com/NGCMD31T
Maybe a usefule URL to give to a tech rep.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 8:35:59 PM PDT
All this is very troubling. My surfboard died after two years so I wanted to change from a moto product. Got this netgear modem tonite from walmart and it appears to be working well but I just may return it if I have to jump through hoops in the future if it fails. Btw im a Charter customer and their customer service is abysmal. It took them 20 minutes to set up a replacement for my failed owned surfboard at no cost....until the very end of my call when they said there would be a leasing charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 8:45:39 PM PDT
Mark says:
Mine has been going strong for 6 months now and still no problems. Every company makes a lemon now and then.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:00:20 AM PDT
D. Mitchell says:
John; no doubt you did not imagine this event and negative experience with Neatgear (CMD31T) and I appreciate your post and updates.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 10:20:28 PM PST