2.0 out of 5 stars go for the wifi verson, February 23, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Bundle (Video Game)
The Vita itself is a great system but the 3g version is a ripoff. The reason to buy this bundle would to be get a memory stick, a free game, and the ability to access 3g when and if you ever wanted. The problem with the bundle is that to get your "free" game you have to sign up for a month of 3g. Well no problem you say, sony is generously giving me a free month of it so I can use that to download the game. Wrong, sony gives you your 2nd month free you have to pay at least 15.00 for the first month. Then at the end of the 30 days they will email you a voucher for Super Stardust Delta.( The game is a 208mb download so if youre going to download it with 3g save your data) you end up spending $15 for a $10 game. So make sure you and add $15 to that $50 value.
Well thats fine with me you might say I plan on getting 3g to play all the awesome online games. That's fine as long as youre playing turn based games. No online shooters or fighting for you. Sony and ATT are only alowing psn messaging, web browing, and asynchronous multiplayer (turn based) on 3g. Everything else wifi only. The system is great but do yourself a favor buy the wifi version and spend the extra 50 on an overpriced memory stick.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2012 5:24:39 PM PST
kem says:
Its too bad more people don't realize what a ripoff the 3g bundle truly is. At&t and sony knew that noone would want to buy the 3g model by itself once they realized how pitiful it is in terms of online gaming and how it sucks up battery life (even faster than wifi!) so they bundled it with a bunch of stuff to get people to buy it. The vita is a great device but the 3g version is definitely a bad deal.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:05:41 PM PST
S. Schmidt says:
Yeah the 3G seems to be a ripoff. I still have never been impressed with AT&T. I've seen mixed reviews on the online play. I got the impression from some that you can't really play an online game, but it is only used to update leaderboards and what not. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, it seems to make the 3G less useful anyway. Not that you could play much based on the data limit.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 12:25:55 PM PST
Gnordy says:
I bought a 3G version. I like that I have the option. Been using the Near function quite a bit while I am out and about. Gotten tons of "Game Goods". I have also been keeping in touch with people on my friends list, which is much more convenient than doing it on my PS3. I probably won't activate every month, but I certainly don't regret the purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 2:03:35 PM PST
nkilburne says:
I like my 3G version as well! Near is fun to have when you're out and about and it's great using 3G to send and receive PSN messages. Heck, you can even upload high scores for games like SSD and Lumines wherever you are!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 7:47:53 PM PST
CC Me says:
wow...upload high scores...thats great, not. so its worth paying at a minimum $15/month to upload high scores and text your friends? on a device 4times as big as an iphone? errr...no thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 9:09:51 AM PST
Gnordy says:
Most people pay AT&T $20 a month just to text message, which I think is crazy. I think that puts in perspective someone that wants to spend $15 a month to message and more on the Vita. This is not exactly a new concept, the 3G iPad has the exact same plan and that seems to have worked out all right.

I agree this plan is not for everyone, but I don't understand why having a choice is viewed as a negative. Don't want 3G? Get WiFi, problem solved.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:04:23 AM PST
I totally agree.... Get the WiFi model and go get a wireless wifi hotspot from verizon, sprint or clear (or whatever service that is offered in your area) and you will be doing yourself a better service for on the go. When I saw the data rate plans I was shocked that there was no unlimited plan (then again its ATT) for 40$ a month you can barely watch a movie on netflix, download a psp sized game and a few hours worth of good online gaming.... Dont even think about online shooters.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:11:35 PM PST
thePOCKET says:
data caps are 20mb per session, so it's impossible to use it on one download anyway >.>

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 12:30:46 PM PST
birddog says:
Narrow minded approach! I have the 3G version, so am I biased, no...why my son bought wifi only version, so I can compare. Frankly it's up to you!!! 1st of all, You get Super Stardust Delta PLUS the DLC - so it's total is $15. Cost: Wifi $249.99, 8GB $29.99 (for comparison's sake) + Super Stardust Delta (& DLC) $15 - total is $295 (which my son ended up doing and he said "Dad, why didn't I just get the 3G version?"). 3G/Wifi is $299.99 plus the $15 for 1st month data - however I get another month and previously mentioned SSD game for a WHOPPING (hint of sarcasim) $20 MORE - now I have the option for 3G while driving in the car or not. I get two months (essentially $7.50/month) to try it out. I'm not in a hurry for SSD even though it looks very cool. Also, if I burn out on the Vita, I have some resale value in the 3G model. I'm NOT going to use 3G for big downloads anyway. Don't bash the rating just because YOU don't like 3G. Go do a review on the Wifi only version but give it an honest review. Also people should learn to do apples to apples comparison's and find it's really NOT a bad deal either way. Oh yea, my 3G is turned off in my settings so no battery burn! Good luck in making your own INFORMED decision. Last point I'd like to make - I have verizon and a rooted phone with wifi hotspot on....sooooo you see I'm not biased to 3G - I have all my options open on this. :)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 8:50:40 AM PST
Cruz Arrieta says:
I completely agree. It much better use the extra money for buying an overpriced memory stick
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›