5.0 out of 5 stars The Nicest TV Right Now, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Samsung UN46C8000 46-Inch 1080p 3D 240 Hz LED HDTV (2010 Model) (Electronics)
This TV is absolutely stunning. I was actually waiting for the C9000 to come out, but that TV's price is way over the limit. I found out that this TV which is the next step down and actually has the exact same technology as the C9000 minus the touchscreen remote (which can be bought seperately) and the slim profile, not a big deal considering the TV already looks beautiful and is half the price or less then a C9000!

In all honesty, I think this TV has one of the nicest pictures I've ever seen. One example is the pin-point dimming, which has garnered a lot of criticsm and skeptisism. I have seen the production TV model live and I must tell you, I think it's better then local-dimming and I'll tell you why... Unless there is a new panel that is made to fix the local-dimming "halo affect", this is currently the only way to get outradgeous contrast levels without that problem. The pin-point dimming on this TV dramatically lowers the dark spots on the screen in certain area's without a halo affect and actually goes completely pitch black when watching movies with dark screens just like a local-dimming TV. I think this TV actually excels at the dimming part over a local-dimming TV because it creates supurb black levels without any halo affects. That's a huge deal for me. Next is the color accuracy of this panel, I think the whites and colors on this TV are probably better then I've ever seen. Sure Plasma's can sometimes have better color temperatures, but they will not pop out of the screen with ambience like this TV shows. This TV is sharp looking and beautiful and it displays wonderful 3D and High-definition like never before.

Last, but not least... this tv is LOADED with features, easily making it one of the most feature rich TV's there is on the market. It's completely wireless, has 4-hdmi conenctions, has internet applications and streaming capabilities and best yet, it does it well! I have done a lot of research and have compared this TV with it's newest competitors and this one is it. Don't just take my word for it, go see it for yourselves and you'll just see what I am talking about.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2010 11:24:41 AM PDT
Kevin says:
Thanks for the review. I am torn between C8000 and B8500. I want to get C8000 for the 3D and if PQ is just a bit worse than B8500, i can bear with it, it is not like I'm a videophile and I would be able to tell the minor difference in PQ.

Have you ever seen B8500 and able to give a comparison to C8000?

Does it have build in WiFi? I do not think so but you said it is completely wireless, not sure what you mean by that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 12:31:54 PM PDT
Corey Fisher says:
The C8000 has way better picture quality and contrast IMO, the C8000 has built-in wifi, it will detect any wifi network and does not require a dongle, it is included. I looked at 8500 and it didn't even compare to this TV to be quite frank.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 2:04:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2010 2:15:48 PM PDT
Kevin says:
WOW..that is a bold statement to make that B8500 does not even compare to C8000, given that B8500 is highly praised everywhere online, CNET called it king of the LCD at this time.

But my main concern is, do you see flashlight effect at each corners during a dark scene in a darken room, flashlight effect plagued all of 2009 Samsung edge lit LED TV, even the new C7000 owner claimed the flashlight still exist. Some also claimed they saw C8000 display and did saw flashlight effect.

I will keep your feedback in mind, while looking for other official review to make my final call. Good that it has built in WiFi, Amazon doesn't even list it.

Have you get a chance to play around with precision dimming options, to think that edge lite works better than local dimming is hard to imagine, but I guess "precision dimming" on this model really works some magic for you to highly praise it.

Thanks for your info, anything else you can share with us who are also interested will be greatly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 10:43:48 PM PDT
Corey Fisher says:
Ya know what? I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the B8000 new Plasmas that are 3D... not the 8500 from last year? Actually, in reality though, I still like the C8000 better then the 8500 at my local best buy. The 8500 is a beautiful set, but I love the aesthetics of these newer sets and the PQ is not that much different IMO. I still think this TV has tremendous value and PQ, the 8500 still bothers me with the Halo affects, this TV does not have this problem and that's why I like it better... this TV also has no corner bleeding like the always-on edge-lit displays.

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 5:24:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2010 5:28:12 AM PDT
Corey,
I haven't seen the new C8000 yet so I am not going to comment about it. However, B8500's "halo affect" can be minimized to a point where you won't notice it at all if you don't mind fiddling around with the settings for a while. All it takes is some patience and some time dedication. Once you are done the only way you would notice it if you are looking at the screen directly from the side. I know it because I own one and I see no halo affect no matter how careful I look after spending some time on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 10:06:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2010 10:07:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 9:56:00 AM PDT
look at the image comparing the two sets here:

then reconsider whether you should care about Corey Fisher's opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2010 12:54:11 PM PDT
Corey Fisher says:
Thats not a very good comparison... first off, the camera is off angle, second, it was shot with a cheap cell phone camera. Also, the 8500 clearly has the "halo affect", while the C8000 does have a waterfall affect, both of these sets can be calibrated to diminish those affects. Not only that, the C8000 is several hundred dollars cheaper and has more features plus 3D. I think we should reconsider your opinion. I HAVE the set and its barely noticeable...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 5:21:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 5:42:39 AM PDT
Marcin,

I appreciate the link but first of all, I didn't have disagreements with Corey. I just noted that the halo affect on B8500 is a fixable problem. Not an easy process but it's definitely doable. It took me almost 1.5 month to get it just right with variety of contents.

Second of all, it's a horrible comparison as Corey said. The camera, the angle, the lighting are just wrong. Also, it's a very well known fact that TVs on Best Buy stand are intentionally and dramatically brightened to appeal customers. It's nowhere near what settings you would actually use in your home. That would be the reason even if they actually looked that bad. I have never seen my B8500 having so much halo affect even when it wasn't calibrated - regardless the angle. It's all about managing the perfect setting for the right LED's to turn on and off for perfect blacks with no halo affect. It completely messes up the control which LEDs to keep on and off when the brightness is so high. Your link can only be the example for that, if so.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 5:30:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 5:38:28 AM PDT
Corey,
I completely agree with you. It's a very misleading example. Since you have the new C8000 and I have the B8500 we can assure everyone these sets can be calibrated to diminish the both halo and waterfall affect to a non-noticeable degree.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›