5.0 out of 5 stars Best Luggage Ever, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Samsonite Lift Spinner 25-Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage (Apparel)
My wife and I do retirement leisure travel several weeks a year. We are so tired of luggage handles that tear out because of poor design. That is what first attracted us to this luggage in a Samsonite Outlet Store. We really liked the luggage but the price was more than I was willing to pay. Later, I found this luggage on Amazon.com and bought two 25 inch ones and saved $100 total from the outlet price.
We just got back from a 3 week trip to Oregon and it was our first trip with the Samsonite Lift 25" Expandable Spinner Luggage and are more impressed than ever with it. The airline agent who checked us in for our flight commented on how well-built the handle was and also stated that is usually the first thing to go. The driver for the rental car shuttle admired and commented on how much he liked our luggage. So, did the hotel shuttle driver on our return trip. Everyone, including us, feel that this is the best luggage design ever. Not only does it have the integral handle on the top, it has a good handle on the bottom - a feature that my old back very much appreciates when putting the suitcase up on a bed or a luggage rack. Every suitcase that I buy will be a spinner because they are so much easier to handle and turn around in hotel elevators. We have had other spinner suitcases that the spinners broke when being pulled like a wheeled suitcase. Not these, they pulled well, spinned well, and did everything we asked of them.
The luggage was so light (8.6 lbs) that with two of these suitcases we could carry the amount of clothes that normally take in 3 suitcases in order to stay under the 50 lb airline limit. One less bag to hassle with was much appreciated. The design is well thought-out and the suitcase is sturdy even though light. It held up perfectly and still looks new after 3 weeks of airline and rental car travel and being dragged into and out of a different hotel almost every night. That is why I feel that this is the best luggage ever !Samsonite Lift Spinner 25 Inch Expandable Wheeled Luggage

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2012 12:47:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 10:41:30 PM PDT
Travelin' Ted, do you know if the dimensions listed include the wheels and handle? And if the 7.5 Depth is before expansion? I'm trying to discern if this suitcase will work for a 2 week italy trip and although I pack smart I like to have what I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 6:32:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 6:41:32 PM PDT
Travelin Ted says:
Mary Ann, I didn't check the published sizes. I just got my suitcase and measured it for you. What is important are the inside dimensions. My suitcase is exactly 25 inches long on the inside. Wheels and handle add another 3.5 inches. It is an even 18 inches wide. My suitcase is 11.5 inches deep unexpanded. The bottom doesn't expand but the top expands up to 13 inches deep.
By all means, take what you need but I don't know why you couldn't go for two weeks with it. My wife and I made a 3 week trip to the Southern Caribbean each of us with it and a small soft side carry-on bag. We took lots of clothes too because in addition to a week of shore touring, we took two one week cruises out of San Juan which meant formal clothing and shoes for four nights in addition to all the other stuff for 21 days of travel. We also take enough clothes we don't have to spend travel time doing laundry. We also carry a light luggage scale to make sure we are under the 50 pound limit for the return trip.
Packing efficiently using light clothing is important. We left the Northern Cold Climate in late January so we also had a 3-in-1 coat (waterproof outer with fleece inner that could be used separately or together) to pack once we got in the Caribbean. Space bags compress fleece and bulky items nice and flat. Stuffing shoes with socks or other small items helps. Rolling some items is more efficient than packing flat. Fold dress shirts or blouses to fit inside 1 gallon zip lock bags which keep them from wrinkling for some reason.
Another tip is what to use for your carry-on bag. I carry a nylon carry-on sized duffle bag that can be compressed and put in my suitcase when not needed. It can also be used as a dirty clothes bag (line it with a plastic bag to keep it clean) or a way to carry aboard a few extra items and souvenirs when a little extra space is needed. My wife carries a folding nylon bag that serves as her "purse" aboard a plane. She puts her real purse, camera, 3-1-1 TSA bag, and other items in it for boarding aircraft and it also hold other small items when extra space is needed.
After many trips with the rough airline handling, our suitcases still look like new. After 9 months of use, I still feel that it is the best luggage ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 10:07:07 PM PDT
Wow - THANK YOU so much for the information! I really appreciate it, A bit nervous about my first trip outside the US

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:10:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 6:14:40 AM PDT
Travelin Ted says:
You are welcome. For tips on packing this or any suitcase and to prevent tipping, see my comments on the review by C. Jake "Researcher ad infinitum". Enjoy your trip. -Travelin' Ted

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 8:39:14 AM PDT
Does the handle create lumps on the interior of the bag?
Thanks, Janet

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:30:54 AM PDT
Travelin Ted says:
No. The handles are an integral part of the fabric on the outside of the bag.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:10:53 PM PST
lizzie says:
What is the bag your wife uses as a purse & does it roll too?
Spinner 21 in horrid reviews; 25in sounds better not sure why; does entire zipper unzip 2in wider or just 3/4 of the bag as with the 21 inched?
People say wheels broke and it tipped over. Any problems with that? Going 5 weeks on Jan. 17th to india.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 10:43:22 AM PST
Thank you for your review. It answers all my questions, especially about the exact size. Very helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2014 5:04:06 PM PDT
Sheri Lange says:
Will it fit in the carry on?

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 5:56:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2014 6:02:46 AM PDT
Shelley says:
Love these suitcases! My husband and I have been to Europe and Islands using these suitcases as a carry on. They make traveling a breeze and are worth every penny!Please don't be fooled by the size. They holds a lot of clothes! Do some research of where you are going and just pack smart! You must check out Rick Steves web site! Packing smart for travel lets you enjoy the experience and will save you money! I used to check in a suitcase also! Forget about it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (241 customer reviews)

$360.00 $155.25 - $211.25