5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Writer McCullough Makes 19th Century Paris Come ALIVE - FIVE STARS !!!!!, May 24, 2011
This review is from: The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris (Hardcover)
Every time David McCullough puts his fingers to the typewriter that he uses to write with, he seems to transform our understanding of the topic he is studying. Whether it was President Harry Truman or for me Mornings on Horseback, I have walked away from his books with an enlightened feel for the topic that I have only been able to achieve with very few authors. James Michener is one who comes to mind immediately.

With this book, The Greater Journey, the author has now thoroughly engaged the reader with a topic seldom written about but very deserving of study. It is only natural that we as Americans feel we live in a self centered world; after all we have 2 vast oceans that have protected our shores from invasion for several centuries, and probably will for several more. It simply does not occur to us that since our beginnings, many Americans have chosen to spend considerable time abroad, and in some cases decades of their lives.

During the 1800's and specifically from 1830 until 1900, there was a wave of intellectual migration that headed not west to America, but east to Paris, France from America. Keep in mind that we now sit in a country that is preeminent in the world, financially, intellectually, and probably culturally as well. Back then, we were just forming as a nation. The Indian wars were still in process, and the Civil War would also take place, which became the second re-creation of the United States. McCullough is totally aware of this comparison and makes wise use of it throughout this 456 page book composed of 14 distinct chapters separated into 3 parts, followed by a wonderful epilogue, and a very useful bibliography. The author understands history, and is always mindful of the relative positions of different nations. During this period we were not yet the top dog that we were to become after World War I. Europe still controlled the world's greatest universities and they were already centuries old.

If you are going to read this book in a physical format as opposed to the Kindle digital version, you are in for a treat because the paper chosen is exquisite, and the font selection is superb. If you are an older reader as I am, you will appreciate the time that was taken to design the book appropriately for readers that still relish a physically well made book, and that's what we have here.

This is the story of a 70 year period in the history of Paris, and the scores of Americans who occupied it, lived there, and helped participate in the transformation of what is called the city of light. It is also the story of scores of for want of a better word can be called expatriate Americans, although many of them did return to their native United States at different times.

McCullough is one of the few authors who truly captures the essence of an environment and then proceeds to envelop it with a reality that absorbs and perhaps even demands our attention as readers. His description of the relationship between James Fennimore Cooper and Samuel F.B. Morse and their joy in living in this magnificent city and the effects it had on their work will remain in the reader's soul for many years after the book is put back on the shelf. When Morse painted his masterpiece, it was done in Paris, and perhaps after reading this book, one realizes it could only have been done in Paris.

The city of lights already had vast boulevards, and extraordinary parks decades before the United States designed them. Indeed, New York City's Central Park which would be created later in the century would take much from Paris, and other European cities. The Americans who would go to Paris and spend years there would recall later after returning to the United States the joy of the parks, the energy of the city itself and the sheer unequalled cultural delights that embodied Paris. Visually we can still see much of this in the work of the Impressionist School of painting.

I found the author's handling of Mary Cassatt, who was a Philadelphia born daughter of American socialites who went on to be an illustrious painter as a principal part of the Impressionist school, to be particularly well done. Her relationship to Edgar Degas the renowned painter of the ballet and horses, as well as landscaping is thoroughly chronicled in the book. McCullough's ability to weave life into life, with Paris as the focal point constantly holding the book together in such a way that the reader feels compelled to continue to read, not pausing to eat is what in the end keeps the author at the pinnacle of his profession today.

It is obvious that this book was a labor of love for the author. It comes shining through with the admiration that McCullough holds for both Oliver Wendell Homes the American medical student in Paris, and Ralph Waldo Emerson, a name we all recognize. He even takes the time to take us through the time that Mark Twain spent in this wonderful city.

Not only was Paris transformed by the Americans that occupied it during this century, but Paris itself went through extraordinary changes and development. Kings re-invented the city several times during this century. Vast numbers of poor were displaced and sent to the country. It was invaded during this period as well. Later vast tree lined streets and boulevards would be created that became the envy of Europe. The Louvre would be increased in size enormously in an attempt to make it the most important museum on the entire continent, and France would succeed in this effort.

McCullough intertwines the story of Paris, its growth, its impact on the Americans and what the Americans brought back to America as a result, into a book in such an imaginative way that the reader will find himself revisiting this book from time to time. In the end the book is riveting, and this is a phrase I find myself continuing to use every time I pick up a book written by this author.

Many lives are captured in this masterpiece. They include George Healy the portrait painter, Nathaniel Hawthorne whose writings still continue to occupy many a college freshman's late nights, and future American Senator Charles Sumner who would have his views on slavery refined while living in Paris. Indeed he became an abolitionist as a result of his Parisian experience.

CONCLUSION:

Prior to reading The Greater Journey, I believed I had a good understanding of 19th century Paris. Having studied the art of that period, going to the Louvre, and sitting in on lectures dealing with Paris in the 1800's, I looked forward to seeing what this author could add to the story. I did not expect what I got, which was to have him blow away my understanding and replace it with something that came alive and stood on many different legs of understanding, but isn't that what great writing can do. It can simply make things come alive again. You feel as though you are there, and McCullough puts us right there in the thick of the action.

Although it is not the whole story, if you have any interest at all in understanding the transformative art period that was the Impressionist movement it is vividly captured here in the lives of Augustus Saint-Gaudens with John Singer Sargent, and Mary Cassatt. David McCullough is already an acclaimed author with two Pulitzers and two national Book Awards, and it looks like with this book, he's got another Pulitzer coming down the pike. Thank you for reading this review.

Richard C. Stoyeck

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2011 2:18:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 2:19:21 PM PDT
L. Latine says:
Mr. Stoyeck's review is one of the best I have ever read. I planned to buy the book anyway because I am a francophile and have lived in Paris, but after reading his review I can hardly wait to read David McCullough's new book. Thank you Mr. Stoyeck for your erudition and your excellent reviewl.

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:06:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2011 3:06:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 6:56:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 6:59:34 PM PDT
I join in the thanks for Mr. Stoyeck's review. Along with his assessment of the writing itself, I particularly enjoyed the comments on the paper and font selections--two of the reasons I won't be jumping on the e-book bandwagon any time soon.

Posted on May 26, 2011 10:51:13 AM PDT
T-Bone says:
This review...was...AWESOME! Thanks, pal

Posted on May 26, 2011 11:19:53 AM PDT
William says:

Posted on May 29, 2011 5:06:25 AM PDT
V. L. Wilson says:
I recommend reading this fantastic review either before or during the reading of this lengthy book. So far I've read about a hundred pages and am far from being riveted. This review is so helpful. I pre-ordered the book, the pictures are beautiful, print is excellent, and I'm sure that by the end, I'll have learned something new. I have in my library all but two of McCullough's books and loved them, especially 'Mornings On Horseback" and "John Adams", and of course, works by Ambrose, Toland, Michener....but this book .....I needed your review Mr. Stoyeck - thanks so much!

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 9:58:13 AM PDT
V. L. Wilson says:
I finished reading the book last night, thanks only to your wonderful review, Mr. Stoyeck! The final chapters were the best for me, an armchair traveller! I perked up considerably when inventions, the world's fairs in Paris, building and architecture were described. Imagine the cars in 1895! My sister just returned from Paris and was amazed at how huge the Eiffel Tower is - fortunately Mr. McCullough included facts on this effort and the statue of liberty, etc. You deserve the Pulitzer prize for your review!

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 3:19:28 PM PDT
Tonight I saw an hour long talk with the author on the TV-show of Charlie Rose/Bloomberg channel) and became impressed of the enthusiastic storyteller of history and of his love for lifelong education of our human kind.
Thanks for your review and congratulations with a great author and humanist.
-dr. S Berdal,Norway

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 9:42:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2011 9:43:18 AM PDT
Wow! I love David McCullough's writing but was hemming about purchasing the book because of the Kindle price (yea I know wrong forum) but after reading your review, I decided to splurge a bit and buy the Kindle version despite the price. David McCullough is a true American Master and he deserves such praise.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 7:28:34 AM PDT
Webster says:
Thank you for this lengthy well thought out review, I will buy this book instead of downloading it to my kindle. I'm interested in the arts and look forward to reading " The Great Journey"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (591 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01