3.0 out of 5 stars almost great., November 26, 2012
This review is from: E-3lue Cobra EMS109BK High Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi (Electronics)
well, this mouse does look rather nice, considering the price point. and i like the fact that you don't need extra drivers to use it. there are three things that i can find wrong with it, though.

1) The wheel is not great for gaming, mostly because it is kind of imprecise. it does not "click" while turning, but it does have some dull bumps, it's just that it is hard to get it to stop right where you want it. If you use the wheel for weapon switching, it's very easy to overshoot the weapon choice you are looking for, especially if you are just trying to go down one "click".

2) The side buttons are too similar in shape and size to tell apart by touch. I suspect I may learn to know which button my thumb is resting on my position alone, but I am used to having them feel substantially different, either by shape or some kid of raised mark, so you can tell instantly which you are about to click.

3) You can not turn off the damned blue light. It stays on even when you put your computer into sleep mode. Very annoying, especially if your computer is in your bedroom, like mine. I have to put something over it at night so I can sleep.

I suppose this is what you get for under $20. It's still usable, but it also seems like these issues could have been easily solved with some forethought.

UPDATE 1/10/2013:
I discovered something. Apparently, when I had this mouse plugged into my USB hub, it wouldn't turn off the blue light when the computer went to sleep, but when I plug it directly into the computer, it does. So I guess I was wrong about point #3. But, just beware when using a USB hub, it may not behave as expected.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 10:10:21 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:04:11 AM PST
Denise Mehl says:
LEDs can't "burn out". look it up. It's because the don't use filament. You can break an LED, but that can kinda be difficult. That's why they use millions of LEDs in time square, because they barely every have to repair them.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:23:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:24:53 PM PST
T. Dufrane says:
If you'd like to remove the blue LEDs, it's very easy to do (and was the first thing I did right after testing that mine worked). Remove the top two adhesive pads at the top section, and the bottom section of the yellow sticker in the middle bottom of the mouse (well, don't necessarily remove - but peel them back). You'll find 3 screws to remove. Pull the top half of the mouse off, and remove the connecting ribbon cable. You'll find 4 LEDs underneath. Snip them with wirecutters and never worry about the side LEDs again (however, make sure that the remaining leads are not touching, as you'll short the circuit and possibly damage the mouse). I didn't bother with the top one because that indicator is actually pretty useful in my opinion (plus is off at lowest DPI setting anyway). There is probably a fix for the wheel issue as well, such as (when you have it already disassembled) finding a compatible gear wheel with stiffer/longer teeth. I didn't look too far into the mechanism, but it seems like it'd be pretty easy to modify.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:01:37 PM PST
I'm pretty sure you can disable your usb ports manually through power options ---> what happens during sleep. and avoid this headache. i know i did with my last desktop because my speakers/mouse/keyboard would all stay lit up after sleeping the computer and i changed it.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:52:15 AM PST
Fernando P. says:
Excellent review that had the crucial information I needed, I weapon switch with the mouse scroller and the "click while turning" is essential not just for the accuracy in weapon switching but for other things like web surfing, the only time i want a smooth roller is when I'm photo editing but that's hardly ever the case.

Thanks for your review, you saved me 15 bucks.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:58:34 AM PST
thanks for the straight forward review

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 3:04:03 PM PST

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 9:56:22 PM PST
put lil piece of tape on the button to differntiate

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:25:31 AM PST
Hodlpu says:
This is very strange. My mouse wheel has a "click" when I scroll with it. I have no problem moving the mouse wheel at all for weapon switching. Perhaps you should contact the manufacturer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 9:36:09 PM PST