17 of 19 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Take Ivy (Hardcover)
I only came to know about this book from a recent article in the New York Times. Being a fashion deseigner who dies for nostalgia, I bought the book, not knowing exactly what to expect, and I liked it ... a lot. Before writing my review, I went through all 10 reviews already filed. Almost all the negative remarks are correct ... but out of context (see later why). Let me go through the main ones:
1. Photo quality: As one reviewer said, the present book is a recreation of the original. This means the publisher deliberately left everything as the original, except the language (English translation of the Japanese). So ... how could we expect 2010 quality for photos taken in 1965?????
2. Captions: These were the reactions of 4 Japanese men who were being introduced to a culture (and fashion) entierly different from their's. One remark (page 132) tells all, and I quote: "As a Japanese man, I struggle to conceive of "campus wear" or 'college fashion.' ... we Japanese have been put under the spell of having to wear school uniform ...", end of quote!!!
3. Old, bringing nothings new: who said anything about new things? It is a reacreation of a book published in 1965, about Ivy fasion, of 1965!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the mistake is that the publisher did not explain clearly enough to the reader that everything in the origianl 1965 edition was kept as is (except the language), and therefor the quality of photos, context of captions, etc. should be seen under this light.
Having said this I would like to comment on the content of the ORIGINAL photos, captions, etc.:
1. As one reviewer commented, the book does not represent equally the 8 universities, for unexplained reasons.
2. The photographer seems a bit lazy!!! Having examined the photos, it is obvious that he would post himself in one corner, and just shoots passers-by; or he would go the restaurant of Darmouth and takes five or 6 shots; or he would follow 3 guys around and shoot them from the side, the front, and the back!!!!! It is also obvious that the editing did not try to avoid this when selecting the photos to be published (unless there was nothing else!!!)
4. While obviously the focus was on the photos, the captions should have been longer and better.
5. As for the fashion, I love it!! Just compare those gorgeous guys to today's college students ... what taste ... what class ... so natural ... so at ease ... so nostalgic !!!
It is no wonder that the current fascination with ivy, prep, etc. (with a new book "The ivy Look", being released in May 2011), comes after decades of ugly college styles!!!
Vive le Ivy!!!
If you are interested in fashion or nostalgia (or both!!) ... buy the book!! At $14 it is a bargain!!