Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Perfect., June 21, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4-Inch Tablet (16 GB, Titanium Bronze) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Samsung's Galaxy Tab S is a premium piece of hardware at a premium price. Let's get this out of the way quickly, is the screen quality better than what you will find on an iPad mini? Sure, they both have wonderful screens, but Samsung's screen is better (boasting a higher resolution). But when I looked at my iPad mini side to side with the Samsung, I couldn't detect a difference in terms of pixelation. But I do find the Samsung screen to be more colorful and bold. But I find this with Samsung's phones, as well. Again, you would be hard pressed to find a better screen. Couple the screen size with the form factor of this tablet, which is just right to fit in one hand comfortably, Samsung has a winner. I found myself going to this for reading, the screen giving text just enough pop and space that I didn't find myself needing to increase the text size out of necessity.

The screen and its weight appear to be optimal; there is a lovely balance to what's inside this tablet. It feels level in your hand, and sturdy without sacrificing its lightness. Samsung, stealing from its own design on their line of phones, has given this tablet the same backing as the S5 (well, the dotting is spaced a little bit further apart. The backing doesn't make this a fingerprint magnet, lovely. It also gives it a nice tactile feel against the fingers and palm. The quality with this table is evident. The buttons, off/on, volume, while not being recessed are built close enough to the frame that they are not a hinderance to the palm while holding the tablet or to the fingertips when they need to be utilized.

How does the tablet perform? And what about content? On both fronts Samsung has decided to beef things up. The tablet has a great if not excellent processor. You can multitask till your fingers cramp and the processor won't even bog you down in the least. I don't know why I want more power behind this tablet when it goes pretty hard in that category. I detected no hiccups in performance when running videos, or streaming. Also, when I loaded up a bunch of files, and pictures, they were read quickly off the micro SD. I'm using a 64, but this tablet can hold up to 128. Samsung has also decided to provide its own bits of media. "Bits" might be the wrong word, there are some hearty chunks with Samsung's Papergarden. It's Samsung's way of offering low prices or free content to owners of the tablet. It is also Samsung's way of trying to get you to not even think about an iPad or Apple's ecosystem. Will that work? Depends on what you want to get out of your tablet experience. I find myself loving the openness of Android.

Samsung has crafted an awesome tablet. The form factor is ideal, just feeling extremely natural for one handed use. At first, this tablet may seem underwhelming. But that may be due to how natural it feels, nearly an extension of the hand. I felt from opening the box that I was using something familiar but experiencing something new.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2014 3:22:14 PM PDT
Hey Buddy, one question: Does it support AC3 audio codec? I think this a major drawback on the latest Samsung Tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 3:48:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2014 3:49:01 PM PDT
A* says:
Here are the supported audio formats from Samsung's mouth:MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, Vorbis and FLAC.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 7:56:00 PM PDT
G.G. says:
Hi, am looking to buy a 8" high display LTE tablet, my options are limited as of now (ipad mini with retina), what you suggest shall I wait for the Tab S LTE version or ipad is also a good option ? except the ram other specs are not bothering me so wanted to know if rm is playing any spoiler for iPad ?

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 10:41:54 PM PDT
D. Snow says:
> shall I wait for the Tab S LTE version or ipad is also a good option

Definitely wait for the Tab S LTE version. iPad Mini is way inferior to Galaxy Tab S:

-iPad has poor quality LCD screen
-iPad comes with only 1GB RAM, Tab S comes with 3GB
-iPad has no slot for memory expansion
-iPad front and rear cameras are inferior to Tab S cameras
-iPad runs iOS 7, which is primitive when compared to Android 4.4

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 8:10:57 AM PDT
I have to agree with D. Snow on this one. There are plenty of youtube links with first looks with the Tab S. Check them out. I'll also provide a link to a side by side comparison of the iPad vs. the Tab S. Take a good look at it. The reviewer seems to be heavily biased toward the Tab S over the iPad, but when comparing each product side by side, it's difficult to be unbiased toward a product which is clearly better in nearly every category. If you need an LTE tablet and can wait, the Tab S line will blow you away. I already have mine on pre-order from Amazon, and can't wait for its arrival so I can pass down my aging Galaxy Tab 2 Plus to one of my kids.

Here's that link...

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 12:58:11 PM PDT
Do you know what kind of processor the Tab S uses? Also, are the blacks truly black? Like in a dark room there would be little too no backlight? the 100,000 contrast ratio is great but it's not infinite, and I was wondering about that. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 7:01:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2014 7:03:26 PM PDT
The Tab S comes in two variants. The wifi only version sports Samsung's Octa Core processor which is essentially 2 chips with 4 cores each, while the LTE version will ship with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800, which is used in feature phones like the Galaxy Note 3. Whichever processor you use, it's going to be fast.

If you've used an AMOLED screen on a phone, then you have an idea what this tablet will look like in the dark. One of the major selling points of the Tab S series of tablets is the AMOLED screen. At 359 pixels per inch, the Tab S 8.4 out-pixels the retina iPad Mini by 10%, while also boasting less power consumption. If my Note 3 is any indication, the blacks on this screen will be inky black like you will never achieve on an LCD screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 8:12:44 PM PDT
Yeah, I'm aware of the octa core definition. Samsung has several variants of it but so far no I formation on which is it. Some say 5420, some say 5800. I was just wondering if I can stand 5420 again.
I have never used an AMOLED device before, so I am extremely intrigued about it. Samsung says 100,000, but that's not infinite like the S5 or Note 3. I just want to know if I can throw down 499 for the 10.5 version.

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 1:16:08 PM PDT
Oom Schalk says:
Thanks for the review. How would you rate the sound quality and the speakers?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2014 4:08:27 PM PDT
A* says:
The speakers are loud. They sound really clear to the ear. But I do find if you blast them, like most speakers, it tends to sound a little muddy. But for the most part, way above average.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›