Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars After the initial "wow" factor the frustrations mount., November 11, 2011
This review is from: NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary) (Video Game)
This is a review from a big fan of "classic" NBA, the great teams and great players from days gone by. So as you would expect I looked forward to this title with much eagerness and got it on day one. And when I first played it I was in awe of the packaging, the cosmetic touches used to recreate some of the great all-time teams and rivalries in NBA history. The graphics are great for a basketball game (aside from the occasionally odd animation or player rendering) and the presentation is heads-and-shoulders above any sports game that I have ever played.

But when I got past the cosmetic some intense frustration with the game play quickly followed. Much like last year's iteration the passing system is just incredibly bad. I know they wanted to create a sense that in order to acquire steals you needed to play the passing lanes etc., and they wanted the defenses you play to be operating in this way as well to enhance realism. The problem is that you have no ability to determine what sort of pass you throw (bounce pass, lob, etc.) and so you are left up to the mercy of the game's passing logic to try and make the best pass available for a given situation, only it makes absolutely horrible choices most of the time. You will see a a wide open teammate and attempt to pass him the ball with the PG (not a poor passer and not on the run but at a complete stop) only to have it sail over his head or to a player on the opposing team. This makes running a fast-breaking offense like the 80's Lakers anywhere near efficiently a nearly impossible task. Hell, simply running a conservative offense I still garnered double digit turnovers each game.

Another significant problem is the seemingly sheer randomness of most button presses when attempting to do pretty much anything in this game. You think by pressing a button designated "shoot" you would then release a shot, but often that is not the case as you may find yourself thrust into an animation where you shove your shoulder into another player to create space (where you really didn't seem to need any additional space I might add) and not shoot the ball but rather hang on to it until you press it at least two more times (the other press causes you to then pump fake) by which time you have been blown for a three second lane violation. This is far from a rare occurrence as random animations seem to be the rule of the day in NBA 2k12, and despite what is advertised I have found them to rarely be "interruptible".

Driving the lane is usually an effort in futility as there is apparently an invisible force field that the opposing teams players can extend past their bodies to prevent your player from going past. I am playing with Michael Jordan on one memorable occasion and I have the baseline and plenty of room to get by the other player and he doesn't move his feet and cut me off (at least according to what I saw) I merely am unable to proceed past him and instead shoot a fall away jumper. Supposedly you can use "isomotion" dribble moves to penetrate, but I found these to be so maddeningly complicated and inconsistent (this particular motion does this one move this time and then another move another time etc.) that I have given up anything beyond the most basic.

Also the game is extremely glitchy. Teams that I have unlocked via the "Legends" mode will later be re-locked with it no longer registering that I did indeed won those games and unlocked those teams. I put in code that was available with purchase to unlock a couple of teams (and that was tedious as the server was down for like two weeks) and now I find I have to redo the entire process.

Those are perhaps minor complaints compared to the sheer frustration this game is to play at times. Passing and shooting the ball are the basics for any basketball game and when you can't get that right then all the packaging in the world isn't going to make it a good game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 4:51:55 AM PST
Helpful Joe says:

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 3:04:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 6, 2012 3:05:59 AM PST]

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:53:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 9:02:17 AM PDT
The frustrations with this game are overwhelming. It has become impossible for me to win the the NBA Finals during association mode. I easily took a 3-0 lead in the series and now can't get through a quarter without shutting off my system from frustration. I watched a guy on the opposing team pull down a rebound in the paint and stand there, for six seconds, before making a layup. The shot clock ticked from 24 when he got the board, down to 18 before he released the ball, standing in the paint the whole time. I've owned every NBA2k since 2K8, this game is seriously flawed. If you drive hard to the hoop, you better pray you make it, or else you are getting called for a DEFENSIVE foul. That's right, the shooter can be called for a defensive foul. If the other team gets a rebound while you are still falling, and you touch anybody during your fall (usually the man that knocked you over) you get called for a defensive foul. This has totally changed my playing style as I'm afraid to drive the lane, for fear of a DEFENSIVE foul. Are you kidding me?!? As for the person that says you are not basketball minded, ridiculous. I agree with your review entirely. This is the best ball game out, which makes the flaws very, very hard to accept. I wouldn't give this game over 3 stars, even though I play daily. Freezes are rampant, and you're exactly on point with people doing the most random things while shooting. I've had people standing still dive in for a layup, or people driving the lane pull up unexpectedly for a jumper. In both situations I expected the opposite. Very disappointed overall. Ready for EA Sports to come back. In the words of Ron Simmons: DAMN!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 5:00:04 PM PDT
Michael Bell says:
You raise a very good point regarding the game freezing up. I thought this was just an issue with my system as I have had it for a few years so I didn't mention it in my list of frustrations. If this has been experienced by more than just me then it certainly should be added to the list as I have had to do a hard reboot on my PS3 on several occasions due to it locking up.

This seemed to happen only during the half-time shows and was so frequent that I was in a state of dread every time the buzzer for the half sounded. It got to the point where I would stop and save the game a few seconds before the half and then come back and restart it just in case it decided to freeze up. The kicker is, this didn't help at all as if the game froze up and I rebooted and restarted the game from the save point, when half-time came it would still freeze up. There was literally no way around it and so I would just have to sim that particular game in order to continue my season. Ridiculous.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›