Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Depp for Emperor, September 2, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl (Audio CD)
I am nearly fifty years old. A sober grown man. With children. Children with whom I have now sat through hundreds of movies. Many of which I have enjoyed. And I am not completely hardened in my sophistication. The opening music to The Lion King brought tears to my eyes when my little ones were but wee tots.
But still, these are after all just children's movies. In another life, I would never have seen them. And, really, one can't take such movies too seriously, can one?
And so, this summer, after the ritual badgering, I dutifully trudged into yet another Disney "adventure" movie. Named after that tired old ride in Anaheim I first went on in 1965. I mean really, how much can you expect?
And then, it happened. The swirling intoxication. The stunned feeling. What? Who? How? Was this a movie? Or a religious experience? Perhaps more like an addictive experience...
I cannot remember ever willingly paying to see any movie not starring a relative of mine more than twice, and I can count those movies on one hand. I have now seen "Pirates" four times. The only thing keeping me from seeing it again is the sense that this whole thing is just getting out of hand. I cannot get enough of it. It's like walking into a painting that you never want to come back out of. My children ask, with a note of concern in their voices, "Dad, you really like Pirates of the Caribbean a lot, don't you?"
And that Depp fellow. My God. I never had any idea who he was, but his name sounded like something created for a pubescent cover-boy for magazines published to hook thirteen year-old girls on make-up and bad music. Wasn't Depp the name of some hair-goo product back in the 60s?
I am a straight male. I have several good friends who are gay, but have never fantasized about any gender but the female. But now I understand how women can experience swooning crushes on male film stars. He is simply extraordinary. So sly, so seductive, so canny! I read an interview in which Depp said he went through a slight depression when he had to stop playing Captain Jack Sparrow. I can see why. His inventiveness and sheer pleasure in inhabiting the character come through in every frame. How can I admit to my children that I now troll through fan websites about a former teen heart-throb?
I often don't even watch the Academy Awards, and I certainly never have any emotional investment in who wins.
Except for this year.
Go Jack.
And, in a time when many big-budget movies are little more than a hodge-podge of loosely-connected "money shots" this movie puts all the pieces together, with a sense of fun and light-heartedness in special effects that are simply dazzling. I find myself laughing with dizzy appreciation when Barbossa barks out, "You'd best be believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner, you're in one!" and the grinning skeletons come into view, with Badelt's pounding score keeping time to the beat of their maniacal deck-swabbing. And then there's the scene of the pirate-ghouls slithering up from the darkened sea on the mooring cables of the Dauntless, like infernal cats stalking their prey.
And now to the music. I can just hear the effete aesthetes dismissing this score, as Mr. Zimmerman anticipates with his winking "overproduced by" credit on the cover-liner. "Bombastic." "Overdone." "Absurdly Stupendous."
Well, perhaps it is, for those who spend their lives evaluating such things. To me, it is absolutely transporting. I first listened to it while doing a work-out on a rowing machine and found that I tripled my usual distance. It was like mainlining some hazardous tachycardic amphetamine.
Once again, the children were wondering, "What's up with Daddy? Is he OK?"
Perhaps I am just losing my grip, having an adolescent movie get to me this way. But when those final credits roll, and Captain Jack narrows his eyes and says, "Now, bring me that horizon. Drink up me hearties, yo ho" and the music swells ... it is difficult to put into words the effect it has.
At this point my children have to yank me forcibly from the theater, lest I persist in watching the credits to the bitter end, and bid good-bye to the little monkey once more, wiping tears of exultation from my eyes.
This is not just another "entry" in the summer blockbust sweepstakes. It is an exquisite work of fantasy and inventiveness, a true classic, on the order of "The Wizard of Oz." I do hope Depp's performance garners not just awards, but a place in the pantheon, something we old fogies -- and our gently fogeying children decades hence -- will show to our children and grandchildren like a revealed treasure. I cannot recall any movie having such an effect on me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2007 5:39:29 AM PST
This was a really fun review. I looked for this reviewer in POTC2 but couldn't find him. To A Customer, write more reviews!
SScanlon

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 11:28:49 PM PST
emma rose says:
Thank you for writing that. You nailed what this crazy movie means to so many of us.

~A 20-year-old yokel who agreed with every word you said, but couldn't quite find them on his own

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 1:06:25 PM PST
kim91262 says:
yep. nail...hammer. Collision. You put into words what i felt when i watched the movie. And every single time it's on tv, i get sucked in and can not accomplish a single thing until they blast through the credits (shameful). and yep, even with the short cd, i get sucked into the music too, and i have also started working out to it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 9:58:03 AM PDT
AK says:
What's POTC?

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 10:32:25 AM PST
Netsirk says:
I giggled while reading this! Thanks for adding your thoughts - very accurate!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 10:33:27 AM PST
Netsirk says:
The title of the movie -- Pirates of the Caribbean

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 2:59:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2011 2:59:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 2:59:35 PM PDT
GreenCheese says:
Best review. Of anything. EVER. :)

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 8:47:08 PM PDT
Paul says:
What a dynamite review...now I don't have to admit to anyone I had the same experience. My secret is safe. THANKX for helping me out of the Depp closet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 10:15:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2011 8:31:41 AM PDT
AK says:
To all the commenters above: You are very kind, and your comments are appreciated. I wrote this review, (for the movie, not the music CD),after several glasses of wine, 8 years ago. I later noticed it was the top-rated review of the movie, out of thousands of reviews, garnering many hundreds of votes. Having received this ringing approval from the crowd, I decided to fix a typo in it -- a single character. The review was then relegated to the bottom of the list -- as a brand-new entry -- and all the votes for it were cancelled by the Amazon algorithm!

As I like to say, no good deed goes unpunished!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›