3.0 out of 5 stars Not an improvement..., September 27, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart FP-12 Elite Collection 12-Cup Food Processor (Kitchen)
I've owned various models of Cuisinarts for many years and have always considered them the Cadillac of food processors. Recently I gave away my DLC-2014 model to a relative and upgraded to the FP-14DC, their newest model. I'm beginning to think I may have been too hasty. The most obvious difference between the newer and older model is the design of the workbowl. Cuisinarts have always had straight-sided bowls, but the FP-14DC's bowl is flared -- wider at the top than at the bottom. Presumably the company's engineers determined that the newer design performs better -- or at least as well -- as the older design, but that hasn't been my experience. One problem is that food seems to collect in the seam between the side and bottom of the bowl much more readily than in older models. I used it the other day to chop about two cups of walnuts. When I dumped the chopped nuts out of the bowl, I saw that two or three tablespoons of walnut powder had collected and jammed in the seam. I had to use my index finger to scrape it out. Not a big deal, but annoying nevertheless. Another, more serious problem as far as I'm concerned is the newer model's dough-making performance. I've been making bread and pizza dough in a food processor for years and it's always worked great -- add the flour, water, yeast, and salt, turn the processor on, and almost immediately the dough comes together in a ball and gets kneaded as the processor spins it around the workbowl. Well, I tried my standard pizza dough recipe, which I've made hundreds of times in older models (of the same bowl capacity), and was horrified to see that the dough failed to form a ball. Instead, the machine simply plastered the dough sround the side of the bowl while the blade spun ineffectively at the bottom. I had to stop the machine and go in with a spatula to scrape down the side of the bowl and coax the dough into a ball before it would properly "catch" on the blade when the machine was turned back on. And when I finally pulled the kneaded dough out of the bowl, there was a lot left behind in the bottom-side seam as noted above. Not good. I also noticed the dough blade has reverted to being made of plastic, as it was in Cuisinarts of many years past; the blade on the previous DLC-2014 model was stainless steel. Seems like a step down in quality. I haven't had enough experience yet with the FP-14C to write it off completely, but so far I'm not impressed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2009 5:30:57 PM PST
G. Likong says:
I still Have the old DLC-7 and never had success with the "so-called dough blade" So I use the metal blade with no complaints and it makes great Pizza dough, I think the problem with the plastic dough blade is it isn't long enough and the resideual dough stays on the side and doesn't incorporate. try it with the metal chopping blade instead.
Might work.
Pizza in Ewa Beach, HI

Posted on Nov 23, 2009 5:31:34 PM PST
G. Likong says:
Might work.
Pizza in Ewa Beach, HI

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2009 3:22:14 AM PST
Sam J. says:
It has a lot to do with the amount of flour you are using or so I have read. Use the dough blade when using at least 3 cups of flour (or maximum capacity). Like you said, the metal blade works great for everything else.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 2:51:16 PM PST
I can understand how some can be disappointed. You axcitedly buy the latest and greatest. You wait with baited breath, it comes in and you try recipes that worked perfectly with the previous models and BAM failure. While this is heart breaking it is also not a big surprise. As was said the bowl design is different. This to me means you may have to do things a little differently with this new machine than you do with the old ones. For example nuts. Well, I wouldn't dump them in and then turn the machine on. I would start the machine and drop them in a few at a time. As for dough, I have never had much luck with dough in a food processor. However, what I do know is that with most mixers you put in the dry ingredients, start it up and slowly add the liquid and wait for a ball to form and it pulls away and cleans the bowl. You don't just dump it all in and turn on the machine, this is not a bread machine. The other issue I have with the commentor is that flour depending on the weather can require more or less liquid. You have to adjust for this. This is why bread recipes usually give a range for the liquid. This is also why you add the liquid slowly until the dough forms a ball and cleans the bowl. It sounds like you needed a little extra water, this is not an issue with the food processor.

I wish you the best of luck and given time I think you will come to understand this new machine. I would suggest looking at recipes similar to the ones you want to make and try adjusting your preporation instructions based on that. This is a new machine with a slightly different design.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 12:27:55 AM PST
I just watched the video for the new machine and notice that she always pulses first, she says "to get it started." You might find that this will help with the problem of the dough not catching when you just dump in all the ingredients and turn it on. Also, I think Carol Barnett's comment is correct about adding the liquid slowly. The lady on the DVD also did that.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 8:23:31 AM PDT
carsan says:
I used the pizza dough recipe in the Cuisiart manual and the pizza dough was perfect. Give that recipe a try.
I do hate the machine for grating cheese! Both times I grated parmasian cheese, the back of the top pop off while running! Cheese flew around the kitchen! Poor design for the shredding blades.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (409 customer reviews)

$425.00 $194.99 - $600.05