3.0 out of 5 stars Not Groundbreaking...But It Doesn't Claim To Be Either..., August 27, 2011
This review is from: Convert!: Designing Web Sites to Increase Traffic and Conversion (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Update****** 12/22/11***********
From time to time I go back and look at my reviews I have done. I do this because sometimes I change my opinion some or even greatly on some of the products I have reviewed. While I don't plan on switching my review to a 5 star review on this book, I do feel that my original assessment was way too harsh on the book itself.
With that in mind I would like to offer an apology to the Mr. Hunt (the author). I wasn't in a bad mood that day so I'm puzzled as to why I was so harsh. All I can do is say my evil twin took over. Sorry about that. So I want to rewrite the review. I looked at the book again (and also am currently building a website for a friend) and found it to have some points I found useful so I felt it was necessary to redo my review. So here goes....

I started reading the book, and of course the whole first chapter is a testimony from the writer why you can't live without his book. I can understand that. If you're browsing in a book store and come across it, it might convince you to buy it.
By the second chapter though I was getting a little anxious for Mr. Hunt to get on with it. He is supposed to be giving you fundamental information on search engine optimization. It is very fundamental. Much of this can be learned on the internet. But at least it is in concise arrangement here and all in a handy reference guide.

PROS: The charts are informative and concise. I appreciate how the information has all been gathered into one place. Mr. Hunt is a good writer so the book moves along at a smooth pace so it is easy to pick up the book and read it cover to cover.
CONS: While feeling like an infomercial at the start, the book does offer some interesting facts. Nothing earth shattering or new really though.
BOTTOM LINE: Worth buying for the target audience. While as I stated before, this info can be gotten on the net for free, it's still worth having this book in your library if you plan on doing anything involved in website design. Good, not great, but still worth reading. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2011 6:02:34 AM PDT
B Hunt says:
Hi Seth. I'm interested to know if you actually bought this book for yourself, because you're interested in the subject. Or did someone give it to you to review?

The reason I ask is because all 27 other reviewers strongly disagree. The book is the result of 2 years' research, and integrates some very powerful ideas that will be extremely useful to the majority of web designers, site owners, and marketers.

It doesn't claim to be earth-shatteringly original. Instead, it draws on many highly respected sources like Eugene Schwartz, John Caples, Claude Hopkins, and Drayton Bird.

Maybe it's just not a subject you're genuinely interested in. Or maybe you were just in a really bad mood.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 6:34:06 AM PDT
First off I would like to say I resent the fact you think the only reason I gave the book 1 star is because I was in a "bad mood." I wasn't in a bad mood at all. I am a member of Amazon Vine. They sent me this book free to review. I was honestly hoping it would have some insights I would find new and exciting. But I didn't find it to be so.

Now I'm not some awesome web designer. Every other reviewer has more experience than me. But being a beginner I thought I could offer a different perspective. I have trained using Robert Half Technologies. And I have more than 1 friend that has at least done some web design (see daytonagrayhound.com for an example) and they didn't think the book was worth buying either. I learned all that theory from about 3 months of web design study.

I guess in hindsight I wrongly assumed that the book would have some new revelations which it didn't. But as you pointed out it wasn't supposed to. All that being said though, I am a Vine Voice to give my honest opinion. And we all are entitled to our opinions. And I wouldn't spend money on this book. Sorry, its just how I feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 6:51:48 AM PDT
B. Hunt says:
Seth, I apologise for suggesting your mood could have influenced your decision to rate my book 1-star.

I get that you wouldn't spend money on this book. You *didn't* spend money on this book. Why? Because you're not in its target market.

Do you have to review everything they send you, even if it's in an area that's irrelevant to you? If you're not interested in making profits online, this book won't excite you, as it clearly didn't.

You say you "assumed the book would have some new revelations". Here's what other reviewers have said (this is just from page 1/3):

- "Convert teaches a new approach"
- "I don't recommend you get this book, I demand it."
- "it is a masterpiece"
- "the author's descriptions in this area break important new ground"
- "This book deserves to be on Amazon's bestseller list"
- "presents an excellent synthesis of ideas from many interrelated fields"
- "The ideas he shares are far from commonplace today, though I believe in the not-too-distant future better marketers will apply them almost universally."
- "The book get straight to the point"
- "seriously, this was an eye-opening book."
- "The second part of the book... is amazing"
- "the gold in the book are a couple of main concepts that I really can't describe as anything other than revolutionary"

If you learned more than is in my book after 3 months, you must be an outrageous genius, because I've been doing this for 17 years, and teaching it since 2004. Your mind is wasted on the Amazon Vine project. You should be creating new books, not insulting the authors who are trying to do their best with less intelligence.

Frankly, I'd question the validity of the whole process. You've been given a book to review on a topic that you're not interested in. You've insulted the work, you've insulted me as the author, and you're insulting the intelligence of the Amazon customer who's looking for genuine guidance.

- Ben

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:02:03 AM PDT
Wow 27 positive reviews with only one negative one and you are jumping all over me and insulting my intelligence. Seems like I'm not the one in a "bad mood."

Like I said, we are all entitled to our opinions. It's called free speech. So you are free to be insulting to me all you want. But I will still stick with my opinion. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:09:31 AM PDT
B. Hunt says:
I'm sorry, please don't be upset. I don't believe I've insulted your intelligence at all. I just think you're not in the target market for a marketing book, so you're not really qualified to review, and it makes me doubt the effectiveness of the program you're on. I get what's in it for you, but maybe it's not in the best interests of the Amazon customer.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 7:10:45 AM PDT
Even assuming anyone can "search for a minute on the net and find a course that will give you the same information" - which I doubt - Ben has done a top-notch job of taking a lot of information and explaining it in a way that a) makes sense and b) focuses on RESULTS.

I've been marketing online since 1999 - have spent tens of thousands of dollars on courses and mentoring and ebooks and memberships - and I have NEVER run across a book or course that more clearly describes what is involved in making a site successful (traffic, and conversions.)

This is a gem and worth WAY more than Mr. Hunt charges.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:27:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 4:39:59 AM PST
Well, everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:32:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2011 7:34:13 AM PDT
B. Hunt says:
Jeez, Seth! I don't see where you have been insulted here. You've trashed 2 years of my work, and you likened another reviewer to a Nazi, because they're voicing their opinion. Go and defend the things you care about. You clearly don't really care about this, unlike a lot of other people.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 7:36:10 AM PDT
I was not comparing her to a Nazi. I meant why am I being insulted for giving my opinion? It's a free country.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 8:15:50 AM PDT
I saw where Seth was insulted. If your book is so great, then why are you getting so worked up over Seth's opinion?? I think you are the one in a bad mood and insulting him. Did you think everyone would like it? Impossible
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

$29.99 $21.67