Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Enable QAM Tuner for Better Picture & HD Channel Support, December 7, 2013
This review is from: Seiki SE32HY10 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (2014 Model) (Electronics)
Got this TV on thanksgiving night for $98 to use in an extra room. First one I received had a bad pixel but Amazon sent a new one to me really quick - be sure to check for stuck / dead pixels on your unit after initial setup.

Once I received the 2nd unit, I hung it on the wall rather easily as the TV is so light. Then I hooked it up to the cable coax, I was off and running. The picture was not so great and I wasn't getting high def channels. After a bit of googling, I found that the tuner necessary to get high def channels without a cable box comes disabled on this TV. After enabling the tuner it makes a giant difference. The TV goes from kind of washed out to looking great. (see below for directions)

As far as the hardware goes, the tv is light, has a small bezel and is pretty good. The remote is kind of weak and feels flimsy but it does the job.

How to enable QAM using the remote:

1. Press Menu button
2. Press 0 four times
3. Select "Others"
4. Select "Other settings"
5. Select "Cable QAM"
10. Rescan channels

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2013 9:45:47 AM PST
Thank you for the QAM info. I was wondering how to do this, but hadn't had a chance to research it yet. Thanks for the helpful step-by-step process!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 1:50:31 PM PST
were you able to set up the QAM within the setup wizard? I am experiencing the same issues, however I cannot get out of the set up wizard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 5:40:26 PM PST
Dave says:
I went through and completed the setup wizard first, then followed the steps I outlined above. I had no errors/problems getting through the setup wizard initially. Good luck.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 9:32:49 AM PST
Jack Hilton says:
I just bought a 65" Seiki (SE65GY25). I am on cable TV, but it does not require a cable box. Using your method, I was able to enable the QAM tuner.
The picture is fantastic, but if I try to manually enter channel #s on the remote (most of mine start with 8, and are 3 digits), the TV doesn't tune. If I enter 80 on the remote, it tunes to 801.
I also have a problem when using the 'Ch. List' button on the remote. The window comes up, but after a minute or so, the window locks, and the TV turns off, then back on.
I emailed Seiki customer service, and was told the following: "We cannot assist you with QAM issues if it was not a default option in the television menu, and was enabled by the end user."
Seriously?!?!

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 10:54:49 AM PDT
Akyrimos says:
I followed up until other settings, but I can't find it on the list.

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 7:53:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2014 7:54:37 PM PST
Darren Smith says:
I followed Steps 1-4, but when I got to Step 5, there was no "Select Cable QAM" option. So where do I go from here???

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2014 9:53:09 PM PST
I'm worse off than you-I didn't have qam choice and started trying other choices-next thing I know the screen was flashing colors, and I couldn't get out of it. This is on the 20" model. I'm hoping leaving it unplugged will re-set the tv. It only found analog channels from cable co.The TV that I replaced was an Insignia from "best buy" from 2008 and had no channel recognition problems. Anyway what model did you buy and any suggestions?
Thanx,
Ted

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 1:59:58 PM PST
S. Harper says:
Not all these TVs have the QAM built in. (Mine did not.) In that case these steps don't work. "Other settings" is not a choice in the sets without QAM.

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 3:43:35 AM PST
What does QAM stand for?

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 10:59:58 AM PST
l4r4v0c10 says:
My boyfriend got the same samsung tv and went mad over it. He's a FIFA and COD addict and has three TVs setup along with full-rotating mounts from this brand called FlexiMounts. It's pretty cool the way he can move them around. And not too overpriced either, so a pretty decent buy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›