5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful to read and think about. Better to share and talk about., October 27, 2006
This review is from: Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future (Hardcover)
While many people will rail against Newt Gingrich and this book without ever bothering to read it, I recommend that every American read this short, easy-to-read, and very informative book. It is not advocating a theocracy in any way. What Speaker Gingrich is warning against is that banning any possible mention of God from public life and education will distort the understanding of history.

He says of this book, "Its purpose is neither theological, nor an effort to proselytize on behalf of any religious worldview. All Americans - both those who believe in God and those who do not share this belief - are equal in rights and duties under our Constitution and equal in deserving the respect of their fellow citizens." (page 130)

Gingrich goes on, "Instead, the purpose of this book is to rediscover the historic source of American liberty and to rediscover the founding generation's understanding of what is required to sustain liberty in a free society. And to do this is to truly discover anew the centrality of God in American history and in the ongoing story of American liberty." (page 131)

The author simply takes us on a walking tour of some major monuments around the National Mall in Washington D. C. and around Arlington National Cemetery. He gives us a little background on the man being memorialized including his statements about God, faith, and religion. The article also gives us some information about the monument, how it came to be and what we see when we visit there. We learn that even those that are often cited as not being religious did attend church services, and in the case of Jefferson, IN THE CAPITOL! The back of the book has a map of the area, a small chapter on how to take the walking tour of these monuments, and some photographs of these places.

Speaker Gingrich opens the book with a good article about the work by a minority to sterilize the public square of all references to God as if the discussion of religion, God, and faith were not a part of the very fabric of our nation. While it would be easy to believe that their efforts are ridiculous and could never result in the re-writing of history and the sandblasting of our monuments, some have already expressed a desire to do so. And the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has already ruled that "UNDER GOD" cannot be said in the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools (although, I believe, that ruling is currently enjoined while under appeal).

This is a very good book to read and think about. More important, it is a good book to share, give as a gift, and to talk about. Since the vast majority of us want to be able to talk about what matters to us and how we make our decisions about important matters, which may very well include our faith, we cannot let a small minority of self-appointed censors restrict us. Certainly, we must remain tolerant of all faiths and even the lack of faith (which is often a faith of sorts), but we must also assert our right to speak and pray and teach as we see fit. To pretend that our founders did not talk about God or pray or read the Bible is to pervert and distort history. And this constitutes a miseducation of our young people. We need to stand up to this and make sure it is corrected.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2006 4:21:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:05:56 AM PST
C. Scanlon says:
Newt whitewashes the tombs of the prophets to hide their revolutionary words of freedom. His policies are ungodly and deadly imperialism worldwide and the cancellation of our founders' hard fought freedoms inalienably given us by the Creator as part of our nature. Newt is a bald faced liar and a hypocrite.

I quote the current edition of YOUR review:

'He says of this book, "Its purpose is neither theological, nor an effort to proselytize on behalf of any religious worldview. All Americans - both those who believe in Go and those who do not share this belief - are equal in rights and duties under our Constitution and equal in deserving the respect of their fellow citizens." (page 130)'

By Go does he refer to the popular Chinese boardgame once pursued by BASIC programmers back when computers were simply fun? Or was that Newt's typo as in his hypocrisy he cannot complete the Divine Name?

Yet he does not choke on lying about the current shredded nature of our once great and respected and honored and defended and PRACTICED US Constitution, which he began to shred twenty years ago before fleeing DC in disgrace and which the current SEATED administration discards as "an old piece of paper" which it need not follow.

For truth rather than Newt's hypocritical lies, please see the excellent Eric Alterman's When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences in particular the Reagan and Papa Bush years. For true Christian theology study the Rev. Father John Dear's Jesus the Rebel and Disarming the Heart: Toward a Vow of Nonviolence to learn why no true Christian can support Newt's militarist policies of these past twenty years.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2006 5:37:06 PM PDT
So you don't like Newt and can't understand a typo when you see one. What does any of this vitriol on your part have to do with the point of the book or my review?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2006 11:57:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:05:54 AM PST
Your review is wrong.

Newt's decades long spewing of vitriol which spelt among others the death of innocent Christian people in Nicaragua twenty yeares ago
was wrong and ungodly and it is blasphemy for this man to claim to promote Godliness before publicly renouncing and begging forgiveness for his own profound sins against humanity and against God.

The book therefore is also wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2006 1:53:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2006 4:00:01 AM PST
Again, you don't like Newt. I assume you have NOT bothered to read the book. So, it will be hard for you to know that my review is wrong. You simply don't like Newt and don't like my approval of his book (and in my review I say NOTHING about Newt as a person). You apparently are not American (the way you spelled spelt indicates and English education in English). You also have a strange notion that Christians cannot wage war on other Christians. But do you suppose the Sandinistas were Christian in any way? Really?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2006 6:47:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:05:52 AM PST
C. Scanlon says:
Twenty years ago I worked with the Sandinistas (note your mispelling revealing your utter ignorance in this and in all things) and sacred Churchwomen, Christian and Sandinista, close friends with whom I prayed, who were blown to bits by illegal claymore bombs illegally supplied by Newt

Nothing about God in the man; everything satanic. A liar and a thief

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2006 4:04:42 AM PST
Of course, the Sandinistas never killed anybody, right? Ortega and his thugs are full of light and truth? But what this has to do with Newt's book on the role of faith in the history of America (which I doubt seriously is your country) is unclear to me.

If I advise you about the bad health effects of smoking, you cannot rightly argue that my statements against smoking are wrong because I smoke (I don't). My personal behavior is beside the point. While you hate Newt (and I suspect America), that is not relevant to the point he is making. And his point about the role of faith in our public debates (including the abolition os slavery) is clearly true.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2006 2:23:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:03:48 AM PST
C. Scanlon says:
Clearly you have been brainwashed by the liars and thieves of our age: the GOP and there is no way to let light into your tightly wound paradigm. Please read anything by Ernesto Cardenal for starters, and then Sergio Ramirez, Giocanda Belli, etc., etc., (I can give you more including on the killing of American engineer BEn Linder blessed by papa Bush and PAt Robertson, for God's sake!) to begin to open your eyes from the uneasy hypnotic slumber you have permitted yourself to enter.

I pray thee awaken

I love America and weep at its being taken hostage by such greedy and lethal corporate forces through the stealing of our once free and open elections in which each vote got counted fairly and truly and now the stealing of generations to come of our national treasury to support personal and corporate greed.

Newt and his clones enslave us all with their shredding of our US COnstitution they falsely swore to defend and uphold and the annihilation of our voting processes.

Newt stood alone in massacrinbg innocent Nicaraguans. I lived in that courageous nation under imperialist attack by newt and his hired thugs. Newt is responsible for their genocide and GOd whom he now claims to respect will hold him personally responsible for all eternity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2006 10:06:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2006 8:13:09 PM PST
I will no longer respond to you because you are obviously advocating your own agenda.

For someone who got all over me about typos, you sure have problems of your own. And I reject completely the "liberation theology" promoted by Cardenal and his ilk.

Again, I doubt you are a citizen of the United States of America. Are you?

Our voting process is fine. It is your Sandinistas and their Communist buddies that have problems with free, fair, and open elections.

Good-bye and have a nice life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2006 11:17:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:06:10 AM PST
C. Scanlon says:
Rejecting the true practice and Faith of Jesus Christ aligns you with the false faith of newt and of bush. By their fruit shall thee know them, and their fruit stinks to the almighty, who has ultimate word and holy judgment. THe sight of newt and bush's genocidal imperial wars in Nicaragua and Iraq, respectively, do not bode well, and expose their blasphemous hypocrisy in declaring their false and empty and deceptive faith. GOd is not fooled, nor pleased.

"Fare"?
SO why is former President Daniel ORtega now so close again to RE-ELECTION. In 1984 he was elected in internationally observed proceedings declared free, FAIR, and open by all international observors and bodies, including the United Nations. We cannot say the same about our Kangaroo COurt controlled and Diebold sold elections, which the whole world doubts.

I have been a citizen of these United States of America longer than you, sir, and wow, do I miss my country as it was and as it was to be before these corporate puppets like newt and bush took over by force and by deception.

You refuse to read the REverend Father Cardenal, Archbihop Romero, etc.? This is your loss and an indication of your eager self-lobotomization in the name of newt.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2006 10:10:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2007 10:05:50 AM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Craig Matteson
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Saline, MI