5.0 out of 5 stars An Updated Alice, June 18, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - PC (Video Game)
I just received the game and installed it this evening. I spent close to two hours working my way through the first level and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

First, I'm running it in Windows XP (SP3) on a 1.77 AMD Athlon 64 processor(3500+), with 2GB RAM, and a 7600GT Nvidia video card. For a machine that just meets the minimum requirements, the game runs fairly well. There are a few framerate issues, and it can lag with multiple enemies on the screen. Otherwise, I haven't had a major problem yet. There are minor dialogue cut scenes in which the dialogue skips and repeats itself (the parts where Alice recovers memories), but with the subtitles on, it's not anything to get upset about.

The visuals are gorgeous. The game has some really impressive scenery, and I would say that it's almost worth the cost of admission just for that alone.

The story will seem familiar to anyone who's played the original. It's been expanded somewhat, but it's definitely a continuation of the original, rather than a retread.

Gameplay is virtually the same as in the first, but with some updated actions. Without reading the manual, there's not much of a learning curve for familiar players. The dodge maneuver is particularly cool-looking, and there are some new enemies to deal with, so I don't feel as if this is a slavish remake of the first game.

My final verdict is that it's a nice continuation of the story from the original. There's enough new content to make it feel new to me, while still maintaining continuity. It runs on a fairly old setup, which is very refreshing, considering that Unreal Tournament 3 wouldn't run on this system. The graphics are great, and I give it an overall four out of five on first impressions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2011 11:35:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2011 11:37:13 AM PDT
Wicasawakan says:
Wow, you need to get some upgraded specs. haha You won't be able to play many games pretty soon. Lmao
Nice review BTW. I've been dragging my feet buying it and will be picking it up in a few days.
I have Vista and 3 gb RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 5550 card. The card was only $80 but it played Fable 3 beautifully so I'm happy with it for now. It even played Batman Arkham Asylum with one or two specs lowered. Can't ask for much more than that from a bargain card.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 9:52:29 AM PDT
Taco Mike says:
Can't argue with that; I've intended to upgrade or replace that desktop for about 2 years now, and just never had the money or time. I wasn't even going to buy Alice, because I figured my machine wouldn't run it, but my friend bought it, and then found out it was on Steam, so he traded me his copy for a guitar pedal, which, IMHO was a great deal.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (271 customer reviews)

$19.99 $9.99