Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Podcasts and Audiobooks, November 23, 2009
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 2 GB MP3 Player (Black) (Electronics)
This player is great for all the general reasons you can probably see- it is small, has cheap additional storage via micro SD cards, etc, but one thing I love about it is the bookmarking for podcasts and audiobooks. You can resume where you left off on a track, so you are free to bounce around. All the other MP3 players I have had were terrible for books and podcasts because if i wanted to change to another track (or accidentally bumped the forward or back buttons) I would lose my place and have to scan forever to get back where I was. I felt like a prisoner to a track because I knew if I stopped listening 45 minutes into a book, I would never come back to it.

The only two cons I have on this player are the battery life and the sleep/wake options. This is mainly compared to my Walkman, so it may not be bad for most players of its size.

In terms of battery, my Walkman never really seemed to need to be recharged. I guess the occasional plug-in for transferring music was enough to keep it going. The Clip+ seems to always be almost dead and has gone dead on me a couple of times in workouts because the indicator isn't that good (goes from half to empty). That said, it's a rechargeable battery so it's no big deal, you just have to remember to charge it a bit more.

Regarding sleep/wake- the Walkman would go into sleep mode within seconds of stopping a track and i could leave it for days and when I came back and pressed play, it would start instantly- no logon, no hello, just the track playing right where i left off. The Clip does not turn off when you stop playing. There are options to set it to turn off or sleep automatically after a given duration, but when i have that on, it will sleep or turn off even if music is playing sometimes. If I am missing something, let me know, but that seems ridiculous. So I have to manually turn it off when I am done and when I turn it back on, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds to get back up and running.

These negatives are pretty minor and are well worth the advantages of the resume features in playback. It's a great little player.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2010 11:27:32 AM PDT
cindyk9012 says:
To address your second problem:

Go into Settings, then Power, then Auto Power. Set it to whatever you want. When you pause the player, it'll shut down after that amount of time. Sleep will make it power off automatically after a certain period of time, which is probably not what you want.

Hope it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2010 1:20:36 PM PDT
EP says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2010 7:49:23 PM PDT
T. Woods says:
It is supposed to shut off int the middle of the sleep/off function. That is the purpose. I use it everynight when I go to sleep. The pause/auto off is a different setting all together.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 5:41:12 PM PDT
Ali Julia says:
I am interested in listening to audio books, so I need the player to remember where I left off. I bought another mp3 which does not remember, I scanned many reviews until I found yours that mentions the bookmarking feature. thank you!!!

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:25:01 PM PST
J. M. Smith says:
The bookmark feature was the ONLY thing I have been looking for in all the reviews of every MP3 player I've looked into. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any mention of it - even within the product descriptions. Thank you so much for mentioning it!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 1:07:47 PM PST
TEXAS ROCKS! says:
This bookmarking is exactly what i need. I to have problems with my walkman and audio books. I am a little concerned with the battery life. What would you say is the total battery life? Also, do know of any other mp3 players with this type of bookmarking (non-apple please i hate iTunes)?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›