5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of on board microphone vs. ATR3350 microphone on Canon HF200, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone (Electronics)
Length:: 5:05 Mins

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

I test the microphone on a Canon HF200 camcorder at the beach with both Ocean and Creek noise in the background. The difference is quite remarkable. Don't turn your speakers up too loud, as the volume changes quite a bit when I go from on board to lavalier microphone. Note that I had to actually LOWER the volume during edit because the Audio Technica mic would have clipped, otherwise.

During video editing I made the following adjustments:

Sound track +4db (to compensate for excessively quiet on board microphone)
Just the ATR3350 segment -3.4db (to compensate for the Audio Technica microphone being so loud)

Final analysis: If I was using JUST the lavalier microphone, no adjustments neccessary and it would have been right on the money. At $24 (today's price on Amazon) it's a no-brainer. If you have issues with volume narrating your videos and your camcorder has a microphone in port, go for it.

Note: This microphone is mono, so you'll need to correct it in edit (for me it was making left channel into both left and right. Very easy to do.)

Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2010 2:38:59 PM PDT
The microphone makes a big difference. Now I just need to find someone who sells it to an Australian address. Have not been able find a retailer that ships this product to Australia.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 2:57:49 PM PDT
Sheri Jacks says:
Adding this video review really cemented my decision to purchase this microphone. I have NO experience with microphones, but this video helped me to determine what I was looking for in a microphone and this is it!
Thank you, Kenneth Tin, for taking the time to submit this video review!

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 7:58:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2010 8:20:54 AM PDT
Thanks Ken.. I bought this through your link so hopefully you got some credit for it. I haven't used it yet, but your actual comparison demonstration on video was convincing enough. It would have been better if at the beginning of the second part you showed a closeup of what you were holding. I had to watch it twice (on full screen) to see the mic in your hand because it did not show up against your dark clothes.

Btw: your link to http://www.abettertrip.com does not work, but http://abettertrip.com does if I leave off the "www."

Just tryingto be helpful ... good luck to you!

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 12:57:44 PM PDT
Thank for making the useful video, very cool.

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 3:13:14 AM PST
Excellent review. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 9:39:30 AM PST
Excellent review - thank you sir!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 5:39:55 PM PST
Ken says:
Thank you so much. I've got that squared away now :)

Posted on May 1, 2011 7:35:15 AM PDT
Review says:
Now THIS is an accurate, demonstrative, and informative review. I wish more people would review products this way. I didn't know if the microphone would cancel out background noise, or how long the cord was, or if I was going to have to shout. Coincidentally, I have to shoot by the lake which sometimes has rushing water in the background. This was a phenomenal demonstration! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted on May 28, 2011 12:20:36 PM PDT
jj says:
I agree with everyone else, very helpful! I wish he would also suggest one that has a battery light indicator, which is a good point he brought up. And one where the camera guy can listen to the sound---nothing like getting home and having poor or NO sound. And one where I can input two lavaliers---if that is possible---into my external on the camera. Excellent review!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 9:27:57 PM PDT
Jack Nation says:
A good video review but I am wondering why the background noise of the waves sounds a bit compressed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›