Improvement Arrived - Great Ap,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Vanity Fair Magazine (App)I'm a VF print subscriber so I was very excited when I received my Kindle Fire to start reading the magazine without lugging the heavy publication around with me. Boy, was I disappointed. There are several things wrong and people should know before downloading this app:
1. Just because you are a print subscriber, you don't get automatic access to the electronic edition - this is ridiculous. I have lots of other magazines who give you free access to the electronic edition and some even allow you to opt out of the printed publication (with a refund or an extension on your existing subscription) because it is more cost effective for them to produce an electronic magazine, than a printed publication. If you are a print subscriber you will need to call VF and pay an additional amount of money to get access to the electronic edition.
2. The app does not give you access to anything else that the magazine does not have. The only benefit is if you wish to purchase something from an ad, sometimes, if you hold your finger on the ad, it will take you to the online store. There is no way of knowing if this link is built into the ad (unlike other publications who normally have a bulls-eye or some other target on the page to indicate this). The downside is if you are scrolling through, you might have your finger on an advertisement for a little too long and you will be redirected to a store to purchase the product in the advertisement! Annoying!!
3. It is cheaper to subscribe directly via VF.com than it is via the app. I just renewed my subscription and it was $29.99 for 2 years with the electronic media - presently it's $19.99 for 1 year of electronic media only (through the app)
4. The Kindle Fire app does not have access to the content the iPad app does - which is very disappointing, especially when the Oscars were on. They need to beef up their Kindle app to compare.
5. Each time you open the app, you will be asked to log in. This is very frustrating - especially in light of point number 2!! I've spoken withe VF's people about this and they don't know why it's happening or how to fix it.
Apart from the above, the magazine does look exactly the same as it does in print (minus the perfume testers and the other inserts - ie the March 2012 electronic issue is missing the "Game Changer" insert.
I do like the scroll down ability for larger articles and I really enjoy the page numbering of the individual articles in the bottom left hand corner.
If they can address the above issues, it will be a really great app. Here's just hoping they are teething problems and will be addressed in the next upgrade!
Update August 26, 2012
I've used the app now for a while and thankfully VF have addressed most of the issues above. I now look forward to getting my monthly VF fix on my Kindle Fire. Thanks for a great ap!