ARRAY(0xa7653cd8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Camera, Great Pictures and Videos, Great Price, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video Recording (Silver) (Electronics)
This was a quality purchase and I did a huge amount of research as well as visiting and speaking with reps at both Best Buy and Frys. And I would've actually bought on Amazon had I had more time before going on vacation but I bought it at Frys Electronics.

First off, I did many comparisons to other Canons recently released. This camera has all of the features of the 320HS except for the WiFi and the touch screen. This camera is identical except for those two features. And at the time of this purchase, those features were $30 more on that camera. But I also considered that the possibility of hardware failures increases the more features you add. Also, I didn't want to "miss a moment" waiting for the lag of a touch screen. I wanted to be able to push a button and have the picture snap. I also hate giving the camera to someone to snap a group photo and them not knowing where to touch on the screen. The traditional shutter button was a plus in my book.

As for other features, I did a side by side comparison of the 520HS, 320HS, 310HS and 530HS. I opted for a higher resolution and a lower optical zoom because but with the Digic5 processor because, for casual photos, 5x optical should be sufficient. If I want to get a higher resolution with a greater optical zoom, I will just upgrade to a DSLR camera.

I've also owned Canon's for many years and I was happy with previous versions. With the 110HS I took a couple hundred shots on a recent vacation and several videos in HD. The videos came out great with good sound quality for a point and shoot. And the photos were exceptional for the price point.

Personally I also like the auto focus features and the fact that it seems to calculate exposures and makes adjustments when I don't have the flash on. I did find that turning the flash off gives a much more natural look and with it on my photo subjects seemed to run "hot" so I opted to have it off except in low light situations. The button configuration to toggle the flash on and off is both ergonomic and intuitive.

Additionally, the menus are standard Canon-type, so if you are used to them, you will enjoy a familiar interface. If you are not used to Canon cameras, it won't take long to learn.

Also, the quality of the hardware is good overall, but it does have a sort of plastic-ish feel. Not bad, as it keeps it lightweight, but be aware that some may find it chintzy feeling. I, personally, think it feels light and nice. The battery lasted for about 2 days taking a combination of videos and pictures but I always kept it off and in the storage case (for power conservation) when not in use.

Finally, I do have to admit again that I bought the camera at Fry's Electronics in Burbank due to the fact that I was going on vacation the very next day. I bought the SquareTrade warranty direct from SquareTrade, which I felt was a great deal for about $50 bucks for 3 years. It's the same on Amazon's site or going through them but you cannot get the 2 year warranty if you go through SquareTrade directly and it seems you can get 2 years full coverage on Amazon, which I would have preferred.

All in all, this is a quality camera with a reasonable battery life, good quality pictures and videos with an intuitive interface. I give it 5-stars and am very happy with my purchase.

PS: I also got a SDHC 16 gig card, class 10 and it seems to be pretty speedy. I'd recommend getting one of those or larger as this camera does not include storage. Also look at picking up some sort of a case. I bought a CaseLogic case with a plush interior (from K-Mart for $10) and am happy with that as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 6:40:13 AM PDT
Could you, please, comment on the low-light performance of the 110 HS? I'm also curious which Elph you had before and how the pictures compare. My first Elph was the S400 model, which took exceptional pictures, regardless of the price point. I now have the SD1100IS, and I'm just not happy with it; I think the picture quality is significantly worse than what I used to get with the S400. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 1:12:32 AM PDT
M. Coleman says:
Vladimir: personally, I really like the low light capabilities of this product but it is hard for me to speak professionally as I am just not that experienced a photographer. I just went to my friend's movie premier and there was a question and answer period after the film. The theater was very dark and I didn't want the flash on so as not to distract and the pictures came out great. Also, I took some pictures of some friends in a darkened room without the flash and it adjusted the exposure. However, people do have to be relatively still or they come out a little blurry. I tried photos in the dark with and without flash and I liked the quality of no flash much better. I hope this helps. My previous Elph was very old, not even comparable to today's technology. But I was happy with it at the time about 4 years ago.

Posted on May 8, 2012 12:06:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 12:07:28 PM PDT
John G says:
hi,
Love the camera...but...the only problem i have is that when playing back a video on the camera the volume is super low, almost muffled and i have to put the camera speaker up to my hear to hear the sound. When i download the video to my computer for youtube, etc the sound is fantastic.

I contacted customer support at canon figuring maybe i am missing a setting, etc and they did a test on their 110hs camera while i was on the the phone with them and the sound was also super low....nothing can be done to increase it further.

anyone else having this problem ?

john

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:25:19 PM PDT
tnjgray says:
Same situation here. I think we first bought a S300 model and loved it. Finally wore it out. Then we bought a SD-something, 10MP and just tolerated it for about three years. Recently bought the 100HS from a big box store for just over $100, including case, and 4GB card. Love the 100HS. Don't know what it is about the HS models, but they are much better. I actually get excited about taking pictures with this new 100HS. For the money, you can't go wrong. I suspect the DIGIC 4 & now 5 sensors are far superior to that of the SD cameras.

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:54:38 PM PDT
P. Jacobs says:
I thought that 320HS has the "traditional shutter release button" as well as the touch-screen one. Am I wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:32:30 PM PDT
I hope someone can help me. I am torn between the 110 HS and the 300 or 310. I mostly want a good camera for taking photos of my toddler but I want it to be good enough for whatever I want to do. What difference does 12 megapixels versus 16 make?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:09:20 PM PDT
Ilya Refes says:
Allison, very few (if any) point-and-shoots will really be able to keep up with kids and pets. If this is your primary goal, I would steer you towards an entry-level DSLR.

However, if you are set on a compact then my advice would be to go for the 300. It is an excellent camera and you should be able to get one now at a very nice discount. it is a 2011 model. Do not worry about the megapixels unless you are planning to print wall-sized posters. You will NOT see a difference. In fact, the 12 megapixel sensor may even be better!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 8:35:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 8:39:15 PM PDT
M. Kato says:
John G,
I did not notice anyone having replied to your comment about the low volume of the video sound on the camera, so I felt that I should reply. I have noticed the same low volume problem with my Canon SD800 IS, my ELPH 100 HS, and my ELPH 110 HS, but I use the cameras mostly for still photos and only occasionally for videos, so I live with that substandard feature. My A620, a bigger 4-AA battery camera, was only slightly louder in volume. I never found any volume adjustment on these cameras. As you noted, the sound is fine on playback on the computer.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 3:25:51 PM PDT
obscurant says:
Does this camera, by any chance, have a microphone input for the video?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:23:41 PM PDT
M. Kato says:
obscurant,
No -- only AV digital out and HDMI ports for connection to TV or computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›