Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Blade Runner: The Final Cut. ~ Blu Ray Review, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Blade Runner: The Final Cut (BD) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Finally, the version I've been waiting for and many others as well. For years Blade Runner fans have been subject to the insane number of versions of Blade Runner and even the 5 disc Blu Ray copy that really is not worth the price you pay. The Final Cut is the version to have if you truly love the Blade Runner experience and have always hated the annoying voiceover by Harrison Ford that has plagued various copies of the film. Ridley Scott himself was able to have full artistic license with this film and you will not be disappointed. What you will be greeted with is a very clean, crisp HD version of the film and just the best single copy out there without all the extra discs of fluff and crappier versions. This version has the omitted voiceover, alternate ending without the "happy resolution" and the inclusion of the Unicorn dream. Any other reviews that knock the film are most likely fans of the voiceover which spoon feeds you information and takes away the lonely rainy feeling you get when watching the film for the first time. Plus in my opinion without the added commentary you are able to judge the film for yourself and not be guided through every single little plot detail. The acting is spot on and perhaps my personal favorite Ford role to date. If you are going to have any science fiction film on your shelf please get this version you will not be disappointed. 5 stars on audio, visual effects, crisp colors and picture quality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2011 5:43:51 AM PDT
P. Schultz says:
another "directors cut" pale in comparison to the original edition which we saw and loved when we the original appeared.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:57:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 4:58:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 1:11:42 PM PDT
In your review you say this "version has the omitted voiceover." Does that mean it has both the voiceoverless and voiceover versions?

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 4:22:22 AM PDT
M. Garland says:
I have always liked this movie a lot, and I'm a big Harrison Ford fan. This is one of his finest cinematic moments, I think, and I'm glad I got this "Final Director's Cut" Blu-ray. I pretty much decided to get it because of your review, and I'm glad I did. It's even better than I remembered, and the Blu-ray transfer is exquisite.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 3:17:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 3:20:59 AM PDT
Tracy Hodson says:
If you already have this 2007 Final Cut on regular DVD, please note the following before purchasing it again on Blu-ray: The restoration and digital transfer were done then for a regular DVD edition (not done for the Blu-ray edition), and this Blu-ray cut in no way differs from that one. It may look marginally better, but it was so meticulously done and overseen (and approved) by Ridley back in 2007 that it is hard to believe there is much more detail to be eked out from the image or the sound, which was entirely re-mixed for that DVD release. In a brief introduction to this edit, he states that this is his favorite version of Blade Runner, and notes the intensive work that went into it.

The edit differs in more ways than are noted in the review. The voice-over and "happy ending", gone since long before 2007, are of course absent (and were never intended to be there in the first place--those were studio decisions, not Ridley's), the unicorn shot is there, and there are several other changes. One notable change is to the dialogue between Bryant and Deckard during the Nexus 6 incident review; the description of what has happened is much clearer, there's no longer a mysteriously missing 5th Replicant that never gets explained, and Leon's role is explained more. Later, in the market, the dialogue between Deckard and the snake-dealer is less cryptic, we see the Go-Go dancers outside of Taffy Lewis' club, and most satisfyingly, they were able to use digital technology to replace the stunt woman's face with Joanna Cassidy's, so we see Zhora, not the Asian stunt woman, crashing through the glass during her death scene. The dialogue between Tyrell and Roy is finally easy to understand, so we know that Roy says, "I want more life, Father." It used to sound as though he called Tyrell another f-word. We also clearly hear him say, "I'm sorry, Sebastian," as he goes after him.

During the final sequences between Deckard and Pris, then Roy, there are editing changes that make it not only longer, but clearer and more grueling--Pris' death is extended and more awful. Inserts of the nail going through Roy's hand, for example, make it clear that he is beginning to lose sensation in his body and must stimulate some--we know how hard it is for him to keep going. And the shot of Deckard cowering in the corner, which is not where he actually is (he's climbing up through the ceiling), is there to show us how frightened and helpless he feels once he has dropped his gun. This whole sequence is both more poetic and more enlightening as to the states of mind of both characters. There are all sorts of subtle enhancements to the sound design and mix, too, which deepen the experience of the film.

There is no question that this is the most finely-tuned, well-crafted version of the film, and it's as close as Ridley could get to his original vision. All of these changes are extant on both the regular and Blu-ray editions of the 2007 Final Cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 7:40:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 7:46:41 PM PST
Justitia says:
@ Tracy Hodson -- Thank you for your very careful and considered remarks. Just want ot make sure I understood one point correctly -- this Blu Ray version is the identical Blu Ray version in the 5 disc Blu-ray collector's editopn 2007?

Actually, perhaps you could make your post a regular post and not just a comment here. It was mere luck I happened to read it.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 10:58:01 PM PST
Bill of Ill says:
If you have to complain about this version of the Blu Ray, pony up the extra money for the 4 or 5 disc version. Atleast we have that choice unlike certain directors of that era that just give us their definative version every few years and nothing else Hint Hint, George Lucas and to a lesser extent Walter Hill with the Warriors.

Posted on May 27, 2013 4:06:53 PM PDT
I don't see that you have ever answered the important question asked by Richard Shewmaker. You state that "This version has the omitted voiceover" yet the rest of your review indicates that it doesn't. Frankly,
I don't understand why anyone would not want this atmospheric narration. Contrary to your feeling that it "takes away the lonely rainy feeling," I feel that it adds that very thing. especially as narrated by Harrison Ford. I have watched the Director's version and I never want to see that again. I agree with those who would include this film among the greatest of films, but for me it would have to be the one with narration. I would guess that I am much, much older than you are and have for a very long time loved all those film noirs of earlier years. What I like about them most was the voiceovers that lent such a distinctive mood. What would DOUBLE INDEMNITY and so many others be without them?

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 3:11:12 PM PST
I want a version with the voice over. I want the original theatrical cut in blu-ray with high end sound. I want the version with the happy ending that leaves you trailing off into the unknown.

Trying to make Deckard into a replicant is to change the whole mood of his relationship with Rachael which was completely in violation of everything Deckard stood for.

Gaff: "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 12:11:01 AM PST
Interesting. I'm a huge PKD fan, and love Bladerunner.

That said, after having seen the various versions of the film, I have a different take than most on the voice-over.

I generally can do without that. I don't like the spoon feeding and think it doesn't add much.

However, I love the part where he narrates Batty's death starting with "I don't know why he saved my life", and ending with "All I could do was sit there and watch him die". To me, the "perfect" edition of Blade Runner would ONLY have that part of the Harrison Ford voice-over (for the mood, not the information).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›