4.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Augie Tells it All, May 8, 2012
This review is from: This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike. (Hardcover)
My best friend was a little shocked when I explained that I'd read none of Augusten Burroughs' memoirs and had never even seen the movie. "I gather he had an unconventional upbringing," I said. My friend looked at me goggle-eyed.

So, I am not an Augusten Burroughs fan, and I'm significantly less a fan of the self-help genre. Why did I pick up this book? Well, it really was an unintimidating size, a factor which should never be underestimated. And the book has buzz. I like to read what people are talking about. But, perhaps most of all, I was expecting a self-help satire--I mean, look at the full title. But the joke was on me, because despite a little irreverent humor, Mr. Burroughs appears to be quite sincere in his advice giving.

Certainly, I paused a few times and wondered at his qualifications as an advice-provider, beyond, apparently, having made quite a few mistakes in his life. I didn't always agree with his suggestions, though most had the feel of good common sense that you sometimes need to hear from someone else. The author appears to be dispensing advice with kindness. What surprised me the most was that I kept turning pages, reading the book from cover to cover in an afternoon. It held my interest.

I think this was due to the breadth of topics covered. Some chapters were longer than others, but Mr. Burroughs kept things moving along swiftly. There was never a chance to grow bored. Each chapter is presented as a "How to," and they are as follows:

How to Ride an Elevator
How to Feel Like "S" word (It doesn't say that; edited to appease Amazon Powers That Be)
How to Find Love
How to Remain Unhealed
Why Having It All Is Not
How to Get Over Your Addiction to the Past
How to Be a Good Mental Patient
How to Make Yourself Uncomfortable (And Why You Should)
How to Finish Your Drink
How to Lose Someone You Love
How to Let a Child Die
How to Change the World by Yourself
This is Why

These may not seem like typical self-help topics, but I promise you, if there isn't something here that has resonance in your life, well, you lead a charmed life indeed. And, as you may gather by some of these chapter headings, some of it gets heavy. Difficult topics are handled with sensitivity.

I'm not entirely sure who this book is aimed at. I suppose if you're already a Burroughs fan, you'll just enjoy this visit with a well-meaning friend. And if you're a big consumer of self-help books, this is a buffet, with a little bit of everything. I'm neither, and this was not a book I really need to read--and yet, I don't regret having done so. Perhaps the advice will come in handy someday.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2012 3:52:50 PM PDT
This book has an interesting double peaked distribution.

If we analyze the 59 current reviews in terms of whether they are Amazon promoted (Vine, top reviewer's etc.) reviewer's, or the rest of us, we find:

5 star Amazon promoted reviewers reviews: 10

1 star Amazon promoted reviewers reviews: 0
1 star reviews other: 11

Weighted average Amazon promoted reviewers reviews: 3.64
Weighted average reviews other: 3.09

The Amazon promoted reviewers reviews are single peaked at the high level (5 star), while all other reviews are double peaked high and low, which means the two `random' populations are not the same. The rest of us are not evaluating the book the same way as are Amazon promoted reviewer's. Potential purchasers of this book should probably take a close look at the negative reviews to see if you fall into that population subset.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 11:48:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 11:49:30 AM PDT
A. Bergamini says:
No Name Texan,
I found your analysis very funny and hopefully you intended it to be so. For those of you who don't get the joke, it's that the sort of statistical analysis applied is meaningless due to the small sample size.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 3:05:52 PM PST
What the hell are you talking about? What the hell is an Amazon promoted review? Please be clear. Reviews for everything on the planet are one of the positive sides of our computer age living. You seem to be muddying the waters with this... what ever it is you are attempting to communicate. Do you honestly think people who read reviews only read the positives, what would be the point? Your comment is like Balderdash. By the way, I frickin' loved this book! When someone you know is dealing with something really difficult, and you actually really do care, this is a book you would hand them. Quite simply much of life is made up of what's in this book just never in such an orderly fashion, but the advice it is as real as it gets, even if perhaps each section isn't a perfect fit for everyone. Truth is, I just loved the honesty. Anyway, that's my take.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›