1.0 out of 5 stars They literally don't make 'em like they used to, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Rockport Men's Northfield Waterproof Oxford (Apparel)
Check out the reviews on this product and you'll notice that while the average is high, the *recent* reviews are rather poor. Why? Rockport decided to increase their profit by drastically downgrading the quality of the shoe. The soles are no longer made of high quality materials, but are now made of cheap foam rubber designed to wear out in less than a year (and they do).

Not only does this make them cheaper to manufacture, but it also means you'll have to replace them more often. Good for you, Rockport. The timing of the shoe going down hill and the purchase of Rockport by Adidas seems to somewhat coincide. In the absence of ability to improve their product or manufacturing processes, I guess the only way the Adidas MBAs can keep paying themselves mid-six-figures a year for doing nothing is by selling an increasingly inferior product and screwing their customers. This kind of BS is what passes for business innovation these days, and why corporate profits stay healthy despite a moribund economy as we keep getting less and less for our money, a "hidden inflation" nobody wants to talk about. The only people benefiting are the management class who orchestrate this charade.

Sorry for the rant in the middle of a shoe review, but the reason these shoes now suck and some of the problems with our economy are one in the same. These shoes seem cheap, but it's a false economy we pay for on the second and third pair of shoes we need to buy to make these last as long as they used to. Rant aside, you'll do yourself a favor if you vote with your dollar to buy a shoe made by a company that has some respect for its customers.

UPDATE: I'd hoped that maybe I could at least have the soles replaced, and "build" a decent shoe that way. Experiment failed. Everything on the shoe is made so cheaply that the whole thing is starting to wear out, even though the shoe is only a few months old! There is a tear in a seam in the upper, the laces are shot (ok, that could be fixed) and the treads are already almost entirely worn off. So, it's now official: I will never buy another pair of Rockports again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2014 5:15:49 AM PST
Jake says:
Jonathan, I just received these shoes, their my first pair of Rockports. Your preaching to the choir on this subject. I've been saying buy American for YEARS, now look you can't anymore, we've reached the bottom. As far as these shoes go, you got me thinking I should return them as it sounds like they won't last.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 5:32:09 AM PST
Geez. I have an older pair of these and they are great. Now, I don't know what to do. Thanks for putting this out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 2:03:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2014 11:14:13 AM PDT
If it helps, I decided to give them one last test shot with the plan that, once the treads are gone, I would see if I could have the shoe resoled with a decent bottom. (I still love the uppers on this shoe.) I was going to then update the review with the results of my experiment. It would be great if we could buy the shoe and then stick it to Adidas by just having proper soles put on by a shoe repair place. I'll let you know how that goes, but in the meanwhile I can tell you that only two months in to what my be my last ever pair of Rockports, the soles are already halfway worn down. Maybe I walk like an idiot, but I've NEVER had a shoe wear down so quickly.

UPDATE: Experiment failed. Everything on the shoe is made so cheaply that the whole thing is starting to wear out, even though the shoe is only a few months old! There is a tear in a seam in the upper, the laces are shot (ok, that could be fixed) and the treads are already almost entirely worn off. Disgusting. So, it's now official: I will never buy another pair of Rockports again.

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 7:28:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2014 7:35:42 AM PDT
Henway says:
Good review. I had a pair of Rockport Feldsbar men's shoes, and they lasted for 8 years. They had a Vibram sole, good padding in the heel and tongue, 6 holes for laces instead of 4, and plenty of toe room. The color was great. Basically, they were a great shoe, and lasted almost forever.

Then I bought a pair of Northfields and they are terrible, and have worn out in less than a year. They were uncomfortable the first day I wore them.

I now need a new pair of shoes, and don't want to give more of my money to Adidas. My question is what is a good shoe to buy as a replacement for this shoe. I have considered Timberlands, but they are not that comfortable. I also have considered Merrells or Clarks. Anything but this Adida shoe.

I think Rockport is making money because the shoes wear out in 8-12 months, and people just act like cattle and buy another pair.

If anyone knows of a good replacement shoe, post your response here.

Posted on May 1, 2014 9:56:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2014 9:56:38 AM PDT
TechnicGeek says:
What is your opinion on Steve Madden brand of shoes?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 11:12:33 AM PDT
Never tried them, though they are made in China, just like Rockports. And the founder, Steve Madden, is a convicted felon. So, I'd say going from Adidas to Madden would be a lateral move.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 5:54:58 AM PDT
TechnicGeek says:
Today is everything made in China but every time quality of product may vary. It seems like Rockports were of good quality and then gone downhill trying to reduce production costs.

It seems companies start good at first and after developing enough reputation in market starting to compromise on quality. Is it trend or what?

Do you have American shoe production companies in USA that still manufactures shoes domestically and not offshore?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 8:16:53 AM PDT
Jake says:
Boris it's a race to the bottom with these companies, they have no shame. I regret getting these shoes. When they wear out, I'm going to do a lot more research. Danner, Red Wing are a couple of manufactures I'll be looking at.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 9:49:48 AM PDT
TechnicGeek says:
That's because they undercut each other, isn't it? Once one company starts this, then others follow suit so they have no choice but to undercut and compensate with cheapened quality products, unless they form mutual duopoly where they agree to share markets leaving prices stable which eventually could benefit them and customers?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 10:33:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2014 10:33:55 AM PDT
Agreed. It would be nice if one company would decide to do the right thing, but they may be correct in assuming that the average American consumer is too ignorant and short sighted to choose long term Quality over short term crap.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (779 customer reviews)

$110.00 $66.00
Reviewer

Jonathan Birge
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Cambridge, MA