3.0 out of 5 stars RATHER DISSAPOINTING... HOPE THE NEXT BOOK IS BETTER, January 10, 2008
This review is from: In Her Bed (The Dragons of Challon, Book 2) (Mass Market Paperback)
Ok, I realize that there are glowing reviews here and I am a fan of providing a rave review if the book has touched me.

I must say that I was disappointed with the book overall. I am torn about how to go about posting this. I cant say I DIDN'T like IN HER BED, but also I cant quite say that it was a fabulous book either. I absolutely loved A RESTLESS KNIGHT. Deborah MacGilliwray's writing style us absolutely marvelous. Her attention to historical detail and how she interweaves the development of the main protagonists is outstanding.

What can I say about IN HER BED? - it has fabulous secondary characters, the continuation of the story of Julian Challon and Tamlyn, as well as mixing humor and poignancy to the story. Even though the protagonists are likable enough - the story and development was rather unbelievable. I was rather disturbed by the way the Aithinne takes Damian as her sperm stud and how she drugs him to keep him there and ultimately drugs again to make him forget what has occurred. It was demeaning and unpleasant and even though her motives are well explained, I didn't care for that portion of the story. It is rather implausible that a man as virile and strong as our hero, Damian, for him not to be disturbed and not to show how his manly pride is bruised by how he has been abused... (forget the fact that he has visions of what has occurred to him... you can tell through the book that he knows that it is Aithinne that has "used " him as a stud). I persevered, as I love the Dragons of Challon and wanted to acquaint myself with Damian's and Aithinne's story. As I continued reading the story, I felt that I had already read it. Some of the incidents repeated this book had occurred in the first installment. Also, even though I truly don't mind fey and magical situations as well as storylines where characters have the kenning and ability envision past and future events, I felt that it was a little stretched here.

Still even though I have written mostly negative rather than positive - I did like the book... I enjoyed the continued story of Julian and Tamlyn, the secondary characters of Aithenne's triplet brothers whose escapades resemble the Three Stooges. Damian and Aithinne's story was a bit far fetched but the book was still beautifully written. That was the reason I persevered and finished reading it. I am looking forward in reading ONLY FOR ONE KNIGHT - the next installment in the Dragons of Challon. I guess A RESTLESS KNIGHT - spoiled me!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2008 5:10:47 AM PST
K. J. Brown says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 3:30:57 PM PST
It's silly to think everyone is going to enjoy the same books. I didn't read this book but I read the author's first and I know from it that her writing style is NOT for me. I didn't enjoy the book and will not be trying others by the author. We live in a country with free speech and not everyone is going to have the same tastes. People shouldn't be given so many negative votes for an honest opinion.

Posted on Feb 8, 2008 7:45:13 AM PST
Caroline S. says:
M. Hebdige--good review that sums up my thoughts about this book. I was BLOWN AWAY by Restless Knight and couldn't wait for In her Bed. I even read one of her contemporaries to tide me over while I waited. I was really disappointed by this book and annoyed by the almost word-for-word plagiarism of Restless Knight when the characters go to Berick. I think that's lazy. The experience wasn't different enough for Aithinne for it to have shown up again. I also wondered if the book ever hit an editor's desk because there were some irritating errors with reign/rein, fare/fair etc. I didn't care for the slapstick antics of the brothers. They reminded me of JarJar Binks.
I'll read the next one b/c I think MacGillivray is talented, but my expectations are quite a bit lower.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 6:18:10 PM PST
Book Sleuth says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 6:19:20 PM PST
Book Sleuth says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2008 6:01:30 PM PST
I am several years over the range for YA books at this point, although I did read some in college as due to the shorter length they were easier to finish between assigned class readings, and of course I enjoyed such books in high school. I recently graduated college and probably read about 90% adult books mainly historical romance and non-romance historical novels. I am 21 and will be turning 22 this spring and enjoy the majority of adult novels I read, thank you very much. Why would I want to read about a bunch of 14-15 year old high schoolers at my age? Just because I disliked this author's book does not make me immature or unworthy of reading adult books. Nor does the fact I reviewed teen novels when I was 17-18 make me unworthy of reading or reviewing adult novels 4 years later. I didn't like it. Get over it. You are never going to find a book everyone likes. I have the right to give my opinions to other customers just as you have the right to say how much you liked the book.

Posted on Apr 10, 2008 8:42:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 14, 2008 10:44:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008 9:32:18 PM PDT
Denni says:
I appreciate your honesty, helps others choose books that we will enjoy.

I hate slapstick, esp. in my reading. Therefore, I can avoid purchasing a wallbanger. For those of you who enjoy historical romance with slapstick...enjoy, I'm leaving you one more copy!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›