4.0 out of 5 stars " The Urban rendition of Romeo and Juliet", June 5, 2006
This review is from: Romeo Must Die (DVD)
There seems to be several films regarding this one. A story about corruption and property deals, a story about fathers and their children, a tentative Romeo and Juliet romance and of course martial arts and guns.

For those who like cross-culture, "Romeo Must Die", is for you! Jet Li who was fresh from "Lethal Weapon 4" really delivers in this action-packed movie. Playing Han was a big one for him. Aaliyah(1979-2001), the R&B sensation really got her acting chops in gear playing the alluring Trish O'Day, who is being shadowed by the bumbling Maurice, played by the funny, Anthony Anderson, but I personally would hoped for more of Michael Wong and less of Anthony Anderson (his constant 'Dim Sum' refrain being quite irritating) but the actors act, the plot moves and the film is enjoyable enough.

I'd enjoyed the X-ray effects of the movie whenever a fight was going to happen. I liked the part when Han refused to a fight a woman, he used Trish to fight her with. It looked more of a swing dance to me. Since Trish's words backed him up, the enemy was impaled through the heart. And after the final fight, Trish's father (Delroy Lindo), wanted to meet Han for himself, and I 'm glad he got that chance, I think it was silly for him to demand a handshake from him, but hey, he wanted to who the "cat" was, and make sure he did. Han never declined any offer only to know who the troublemaker behind the "war" was.

Before anyone remember seeing Aaliyah in "Queen of the Damned" (which I personal dislike), look into this film first. I Love Jet Li, but this film is not as good as 'Kiss of the Dragon' but better than 'The One' and 'Cradle 2 the Grave' but inferior to Jet Li's Hong Kong movies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2007 10:43:59 PM PDT
I personally have only two major beefs with this movie. The first is with the fight scenes. Granted, there is one amazing one (Li fending off prison guards while chained upside down from a ceiling), and the one where he brings Aaliyah into the fight is cute. But what I didn't like, particularly in the climactic battle, is the use of computer enhancements to the fight, which is something Jet Li does NOT need. It's like taking a gorgeous woman & giving her breast implants, just totally unnecessary. Also, I thought the movie was cowardly in remaining ambiguous to Li & Aaliyah's relationship in the film, never outwardly showing them as more than close friends. I'm all for implications over exploitation, but it really seemed like the producers didn't want to show a Chinese guy with a black girl here, which sucks. I give the film 3 stars plus I agree with you on this review in particular the last paragraph, it isn't Li's best, but it got him over in America, and that's great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 7:03:56 AM PDT
Jenny J.J.I. says:
O! Al don't be too harsh, I loved this movie. But I do agree with you in regards to the fights. Some of the supposedly "real fights" are just not only real, but not that exciting; so they re-invent the martial arts genre and feature some of the most unbelievable, frustratingly fake kung fu any person with there right mine can see and also frustrating because Jet Li is a very good martial artist, but he isn't allowed to display his techniques here. I have to say that it's good to see an Asian fall in love with an African American. Not many Asians would even think about dating one let alone get involve with one because of our `demeanor'. I have to admit that Russell Wong is mighty fine in this movie. But the relationship between or attraction between Aaliyah and Jet Li should of have been a little more convincing so I also stand by your assessment to that. The producers did act shy in that area and like I said they could have added more intensity between them two. I see that you like to dig in deep into my pages hmmmmm.....what's going on? Anyway I appreciate you taking the time and also the effort on reading them, many thanks Al ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (267 customer reviews)

$5.97 $4.68