An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
16,210 of 16,496 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing new Kindle is nearly perfect except for ads in the non-ad version, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
So far, I love my new Paperwhite Kindle. I've been using an aging keyboard Kindle 2, waiting for a version with a built-in light like this. Amazon really got it right with the light on this one.

The high resolution screen is noticeably easier to read, and the user interface is well thought out.

The form factor is also an amazing improvement. I like the tactile feel of the Kindle's back, although I'm awaiting shipment of Amazon's leather case because I like to take my Kindle everywhere and this device feels small and delicate, and I've liked the old Amazon leather case on my old Kindle.

The one thing keeping me from giving this product a 5-star review is a software issue that really irks me: I paid the extra $20 to have a Kindle without advertising, yet the entire bottom half of the home screen in cover view is taken up with Amazon's recommendations for me to buy new books. This is advertising, and it is totally unacceptable in a product that costs extra just to avoid advertising. Targeted advertising is still advertising, and there's not enough space on this screen to make any amount of advertising okay with me.

If I ever want to see what Amazon recommends for me, I'll visit the Amazon Store and look myself. The end result of this unsolicited advertising on my home screen is that I have to scroll past it to see more than three of the titles on my device, whereas if the ad was gone, I could see six titles right away on the home screen. Given the way the Kindle's user interface is designed, going to the home screen is necessary to get just about anywhere else, so this advertising block causes me to have to scroll past it over and over again, gumming up my otherwise smooth user experience on the device.

Amazon could easily make this optional with a software update, and I hope they do so very soon. At the very least, this unsolicited, mandatory advertising on the home screen needs to be explicitly disclosed on the sales pages. Had I known that there would still be advertising I could not remove on my device, I might not have paid $20 to avoid advertising.

Until Amazon gives us the option to disable these "recommendations" on the home screen, I've used parental controls to just disable the store completely on my Kindle. That does make the ads go away, but it's not really a convenient solution, because if I ever actually want to buy something on my Kindle, I'll need to type in a password and re-enable the store. I'll more likely use a different device for all purchases. This forced advertising, then, really backfires in my case because instead of enticing me to buy more books right on my Kindle, it's prompted me to shut the store down completely on the Kindle.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:22:57 AM PDT
Thank you for your feedback.

We wanted to let you know that in the coming weeks, a free software update will be coming to Kindle Paperwhite. Among other features, we're adding a setting that will allow customers to control whether or not personalized recommendations appear on the device homepage.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

Edit - We delivered this software update in early November 2012 as an automatic download when you are connected to Wi-Fi. The option to turn off Recommended Content can be found under Menu > Settings > Device Options > Personalize your Kindle. You can download the latest software update for Kindle Paperwhite here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-5?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201064850&qid=1352570642&sr=1-5.

Thank you again for your feedback.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 23 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 345 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 6:05:19 PM PDT
I agree that you should have the option to disable this. However, there is a way to view your titles without Amazon recommendations, albeit, without the graphical display of your book covers. Go to the options icon from the home screen (furthest to the right) and select "List View." This will only list your books without recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 9:03:13 PM PDT
Chad Bush says:
Thank you Michael... I was aware of that, which is why I specified cover view in my description of this problem. In fact, another solution, which removes the recommendations even in cover view, is to disable the store completely using the parental control settings. I've done this, since I like cover view, especially with the new higher resolution screen. It would be nice to be able to specifically disable only the advertising without resorting to crippling other features of the Kindle such as cover view and the store, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:24:03 AM PDT
Bob R. says:
Has anyone tried to get their $20 back? Since, apparently paying the $20 either before or after the purchase does nothing to remove ads. What's going on?

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 2:19:37 PM PDT
Spot on review. The last paragraph says it all. I think Amazon will listen. I too paid the extra $20 and your sentiments reflect mine exactly.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:39:45 PM PDT
Gregory Lee says:
I agree completely with you that the covers of recommendations on the home screen is advertising and should not be there when we have paid extra for a PW without advertising. It's very irritating.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 5:41:48 PM PDT
DoDurham says:
So this isn't a glitch? They didn't send you the wrong version? I paid the$20 as well and i don't want ANY advertising...just the pics of the classic authors that I currently see on my Kindle keyboard. I'm going to be very disappointed if I have to deal with ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 8:47:19 AM PDT
A. Kasper says:
I am so relieved to see others as urked by the targeted ads as I am! I have always coughed up the extra money so I don't have to look at advertising when I read, and as an avid reader with an appreciation for the classics, "best sellers" rarely (if ever) equates to great read. I find it offensive that Amazon decided for me that I want 50 shades of crap on my kindle home screen for months on end.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:46:38 PM PDT
Charles B. says:
Amen. I paid the $20 for no adds and can only see 3 titles or collections on the home screen in the non-list mode. Half of the screen for a targeted add on a no-ad Kindle is wrong. Further I like to put my books in collections except the one or two I am reading. In the Collections view, it shows the collections first and books not in a connection afterwards. With more than three collections, I must scroll to see the book I am reading on the second page.

An Amazon.com official commented on this review   (What's this?)
Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:22:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2013 3:47:00 PM PDT
Thank you for your feedback.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

Thank you again for your feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 2:43:31 PM PDT
Timothy Hoff says:
This is great news. It will make the Paperwhite all the more enjoyable!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Chad Bush
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Tucson, Arizona