5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, great set (UPDATED: Blu-ray Edition), November 19, 2005
This review is from: E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (Ultimate Gift Boxed Set) (DVD)
This Review Was Written for the 20th Anniversary DVD Version of the Film:
Let me explain something that I feel a lot of people are forgetting. This set doesn't only include the new version, but the old as well. That's a great deal, since you can choose which one you would like to see. If you hate the new effects and CGI, don't watch it. It's that simple.

Now don't get me wrong. I think the newer version is very silly, and I wonder if Spielberg really thought it looked good when he did it. Maybe if he were to do it in around 10 years, it wouldn't look so animated.

I did like the deleted bathroom scene though, even though it was done with CGI. It would have been nice to have seen that in the original, but I guess that would be having my cake and eating it too.

There is nothing flawed about this set, it simply just gives some options that not everyone will want to choose. If you enjoy the movie, you will enjoy this set. It's a classic that hasn't lost it's flavor after all these years.

UPDATE:
Since writing this review 9 years ago, some things have changed (believe it or not). With the release of Blu-ray and Amazon Instant Video, this has caused some confusion over which version(s) are featured on each format. I currently own the Blu-ray edition that Amazon lists as "Multi-format" and has a blue cover that says "Anniversary Edition" at the top and it contains only the ORIGINAL 1982 version of the film (which is undoubtedly the superior version of the two, since it omits the "not ready for prime time" CGI effects that many believe ruined this classic movie.

As noted above, I did enjoy the scene with ET in the bathroom that was added to the 20th anniversary edition and it IS included on this 30th anniversary blu-ray edition as a deleted scene (along with one other scene where Elliot's mom is asked where Elliot is on Halloween).

The blu-ray transfer is fantastic and it was wonderful to see they decided to use the original 1982 version as opposed to the 2002 version with the added effects. Of course it would have been nice to include both, if for nothing else, to serve as a comparison. But if I had to choose, I am happy to see they dropped the 2002 edition.

I hope this clears up any confusion my original review may have caused. Amazon does not separate their reviews based on different versions and my original review is pretty outdated here in 2014. 32 years later, this film is still just as touching and magical as ever and this blu-ray edition really brings it to life for a new generation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2009 3:57:14 PM PDT
B. Albertson says:
Actually, this DVD does NOT contain both the original and the anniversary edition. I don't know where you got yours, but the only way you can see the original as far as I know is in the limited edition boxed set, not on this DVD.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 1:35:54 PM PDT
I agree with you when you say E.T. looks animated in some of the scenes in the 20th anniversary edition. For example, in the cornfield scene when Elliot wants to investigate what's in his backyard and sees E.T. the very first time, that scene is extremely cheesy because you have all these tension building up and what for? For a silly little animated E.T. screaming at you. I also feel like the bathroom scene gave warmth to the film. Overall this movie is superb with its outstanding score from John Williams and acting performances from Drew Barrymore and Henry Thomas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 1:50:36 PM PST
There's more than one edition of E.T. on DVD and Amazon lumps all of the reviews together. The edition I was reviewing was the limited edition boxed set.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 12:25:51 PM PDT
Star Bux says:
Hi, I ordered the 2-disc Full Screen Limited Edition,
and got both the 1982 and 2002 versions. However,
only the 2002 was in Full Screen. I think I should
have got both the 1982 and 2002 versions in Full Screen.
Did anybody else have this problem?

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 3:56:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2010 9:38:33 AM PST
D. Scott says:
...You SHOULD have your Cake and EAT it to,..The batroom Scene (Origional), really tugged at my heart, I even remember holding my hand to my chest, "what was Spielberg thinking"?...Shall we also place a tooty smile on "The Mona Lisa" to improve her Image quality?

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 12:24:33 AM PDT
Paulmeister says:
I just finished viewing what was apparently the special edition of E.T., with added CG effects. They were terrible. Why do filmmakers (i.e., Spielberg and Lucas) do this to their own work? Don't they understand that all they are doing is ruining the classic that we all grew up with? Matt Stone and Trey Parker put it very succinctly in their relevant South Park episode. A movie is as much a piece of art as a painting is and should not be changed. Editing classic films like Star Wars and E.T. is like Da Vinci coming back from the grave and changing the expression on the Mona Lisa. If everyone had any sense, they would boycott this madness.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 6:10:55 AM PST
S. Lee says:
Just to play devil's advocate (I don't agree with the CG additions, either), many artists say that the art is never complete, you just stop working on it. Maybe if Da Vinci was alive, he would want to make additions to the Mona Lisa.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 1:24:14 PM PDT
The Scenario says:
This is a criticism not of this review or the reviewer, but of the fact that Amazon is still allowing it to be attached to the upcoming Blu-Ray release. This review is outdated in reference to the new release. The Blu-Ray version will NOT contain the 2002 edition of the film, only the original 1982 version. Many other reviews on here have the same issue.

Amazon needs to relegate this review to only the original DVD release from 2003.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 2:58:21 PM PDT
I completely agree, and am also pleased that this new release includes the original theatrical version.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 12:31:20 AM PDT
Screw Amazon says:
Like for instance, I'm looking now at the Instant video version and there's no way to tell which version I'd be getting if I purchased this. Amazon needs to get with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,127 customer reviews)

$69.98 $29.99
Reviewer

Gregory Alongi
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)