5.0 out of 5 stars Sabre Red, brings style to protection, December 8, 2009
This review is from: SABRE RED Pepper Spray - Police Strength - Compact, Pink Case with Quick Release Key Ring (Max Protection - 25 shots, up to 5X's more) (Sports)
I had two pepper spray units for years; one stayed in my purse, and the other was always with me on walks with my dog. Thankfully, I've only had to use one of them, once, when my dog and I were under attack by a menacing, off-leash dog, that wanted to fight. I can't tell you how quickly pepper spray alleviated the problem. And, a couple of weeks later, I saw the escapee dog in a distant neighbor's yard and he looked absolutely fine. The night of the confrontation, I was walking a 130 lb. Akita (on leash), so I can guarantee, that if that dog had attacked my dog, he would not have been looking fine. A little pepper spray saved one, or all of us from some degree of harm. I'd call that some bang for the buck.

I decided to replace my units, after learning that they had passed expiration. Who knew! It never occurred to me, until someone told me that they have about a 5 year shelf life. So, essentially, I was walking around with decreased protection. Check yours---you might be surprised, too.

I was intrigued by the SABRE Red hard case units, in cotton-candy, pink, which benefits the National Breast Cancer Foundation. I thought, 'I need them, the price is right, and they benefit a worthy organization, so why not choose these.'

I'm so glad I did! First off, they are nice to look at, and they're made in the USA---yea. They have a pant, or belt clip, plus key ring, with quick release. They also contain 25 shots reaching a distance of approximately 8 to 10 feet. And, yes---they do function as described.

In addition to keeping track of expiration dates, remember to test your unit every few months to make sure it is not malfunctioning. With SABRE units, if they fail to function, anytime before the expiration date, they are warrantied for replacement.

I concur with another reviewer who stated you might take someone off guard with this cute little pink canister, because it doesn't look like a spray, or mace unit, but more like a container for a cosmetic item. Stealth mode is certainly always better than the obvious. I've purchased two units, and like them well enough to purchase more for gifts. Also, the expiration date on mine is March 2014, so they are definitely fresh units that will provide many years of increased security.

Update August 2010: I've recently ordered several more of these units, after my granddaughter was out jogging and a man tried to abduct her. He grabbed her, trying to drag her to his truck, but she was able to fight him off. He didn't have a weapon, so if she had just had a spray unit in her possession, she could have escaped his attack more readily. She WILL have one, now, as well as other loved ones. This incident was such a reminder for me of the value of some protection. Whether you buy this unit (which I recommend), or another brand, just don't be caught without one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2010 1:45:55 PM PST
Smrrain says:
Thanks a lot!!! I'm looking for something because my little shih tzu and I were attacked by an unleashed pit bull this morning. The owner was in the front seat of a pick-up and a kid opened the backdoor of the truck. The pit bull ran straight for my leashed shih tzu and me. I'm a tough ole lady(62yrs young), and I was on the ground wrestiling with that dog before its owner could get out of the truck. My little dog was fine BUT I don't want to have to "lose my dignity" like that again so I think I want to get something that will give me a little edge, you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 2:01:51 AM PST
Shiloh True says:
You're welcome, Smrrain! I'm glad you are going to protect yourself. Just recently my mom's neighbor was walking her little dog and pushing her grandson in a stroller, when they were attacked by a large dog. In the scuffle the neighbor got tangled up and fell hard to the ground, while her poor little dog was being torn apart. There was a man working for my mom that day. He saw it, dropped everything and ran to pull the offending dog off. If he hadn't, the little dog would have been killed (it survived, but severely injured), the owner of the dog would have been more seriously injured trying to protect her pup, and there was a baby in a stroller that may have been injured, as well. Just a terrible scenario. You just never know when these things can happen. I never like to harm ANY animal, in any way, but being able to break up a dog fight, while minimizing injury, is a no-brainer.

Glad you guys were okay. Good luck on those future walks :-).

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 11:15:22 AM PDT
Anne says:
Thank you for the review.. I did not even think to search Amazon for my Pepper Spray purchase! I need it for dog attacks, so many loose ones roaming around while I am out walking in other neighborhoods. It is a shame we have to live in a society, with uncaring dog owners whom let their dogs wander out and about with no regards for others. Then when something tragic happens to their pets.. they are crying on the news! Will make my purchase TODAY.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 12:58:10 PM PDT
Smrrain says:
Good for you Anne. I recommend it highly. We never leave home without it!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 2:09:00 PM PDT
Shiloh True says:
You're welcome, Anne! And I agree with Smrrain---good for you! I hope you will never have to use it, but even if you never do, the sense of added personal security is priceless. I never leave home without mine, either.

Yes, it is such a shame, that we must dwell amongst so many irresponsible pet owners. And, not only are there those who won't pick up behind their dogs, or leash them, we now have many being dumped due to the difficult economic times. There are multiple reports of abandoned dogs forming little aggressive packs in outlying areas---and I like to hike with my dog in some of the parks and more remote areas. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse, so we simply can't walk around defenseless, any longer. Sad times, indeed!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 9:25:18 PM PDT
Laurel Cole says:
Thanks, everyone... thinking of purchasing one for my dog walks and frequent lone beach walks... should have done so long ago. Didn't know where to buy or which one to buy, but these reviews really helped and I'll order a pink one tonight, and one for my daughter and granddaughters!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 3:51:05 PM PDT
puppy says:
I am going to purchase one of these. I was walking my grandchildren's dog on a leash Sunday and a pit bull jumped out of an open car window with the driver trying to hold on to his leash. After he hit the ground, he maneuvered out of his harness (not collar!, a harness, and came running over to my dog and me. This was a large pit bull = my dog is a beagle mix. He is not agressive, but reacts when threatened. I was so afraid for him. The lady driver asked me to get her dog for her. Of course I refused and told her to get the dog now. She finally got out of the car and came after her dog. Nothing further occured but it made me realize I need to be able to protect myself and my little buddy.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 10:14:10 AM PDT
I am thankful your granddaughter is ok and escaped. This is the pepper spray we have used since the early 90's and it works very well. A lot of our local agencies use this brand and so does the NYPD.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 11:18:17 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:45:21 AM PDT
Thank you for the review. It made me buy this mace product immediately. There are some dogs loose in our neighborhood and I'll feel safer carrying this mace with me when I'm outside. Since I had mace the last time I was attacked by a dog I know it works. But my old mace expired a long time ago.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›