3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little light but......, August 9, 2010
This review is from: Verso Clip-On Reading Light for Kindle (White) (Accessory)
Light is bright and excellent illumination for the Kindle screen! If you don't travel a great deal, it's a delight for sleepers who have reading spouses! Have only rated it a 3-star because of a battery compartment design issue. We travel a great deal and there is no case nor protection for the on/off switch. Therefore, the light inadvertently gets turned on while in the bag, then has no battery life left when needed. To get around this problem, we must remove the batteries after each use and then re-install, which is time consuming and awkward. Please re-think the design and give us something more travel friendly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2011 4:20:30 PM PDT
Kent Major says:
Agree 100% -- the one problem is the on/off switch which is easy to accidentally turn on. I frequently find the light on in my briefcase. Considering gluing a rubber washer around the switch to reduce the problem but would be grateful for a re-design.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 6:44:25 AM PDT
Mary A. Day says:
I travel most of the time, and this was a very helpful review. I have a cover with the light, but have damaged it so the light isn't working right. Guess I'll just get another high dollar cover with the built-in light.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 9:34:17 AM PDT
J. Keiser says:
Check out the reviews of the lighted case. The damage may not be your fault and a number of people had theirs replaced.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 4:39:13 PM PST
selaineh says:
Very helpful review--I was just about to purchase this light for my new Kindle Touch, but I travel a lot (a lot!) and would definitely run into the switch problem. Thanks for taking the time to warn us fellow travelers!

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:46:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 7:47:22 PM PST
Nacirema says:
I recently traveled with this light in an external (somewhat loose) pocket of my purse and did not have any problems with the light turning on. I had the light bent in a semi-circle shape rather than flat, and this may have helped reduce the chance that the button would be activated.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 2:56:58 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I had the same problem -- the light kept turning on in my bag, and wore the first set of batteries down quickly. Now I keep the batteries in the compartment backwards so that the light won't come on, and flip them to the correct position when I want to read. This seems to be a good work-around. I agree, however, that the design should be changed -- perhaps the on/off button could be changed to a sliding switch.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 1:22:47 PM PDT
I've been able to avoid this pretty well when I travel by clipping the clip over the side of the light so that it forms a ring. Because the clip has a higher profile than the button, the light doesn't get turned on nearly as easily.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 11:47:34 AM PDT
Denise Karen says:
Saved the package it came in and cut out my own little case from the clear plastic holder. Taped one end shut and used a tiny binder clip on the other. Small enough that it fits in my pocketbook with ease and light does not get accidentally turned on.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 10:15:04 PM PDT
Ragzee says:
Could a travel toothbrush bristle holder possibly solve the problem? Just a thought.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:22:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:24:30 AM PDT
I found I had the same problem. I purchased a 2 pocket change purse, soft leather, not hard, which closes with zippers. I put the light in the small front pocket, and the wires and plug in the large pocket. This worked perfectly for over a year, until I took a long flight out to Seattle and back. When I went to use it when I returned home, the battery was dead. It must have been squeezed in my purse, which was overloaded for the trip and stuck in a backpack carry-on, and lost its "juice". I'll know next time to leave it less crowded, as it has never happened before when I just put it in my purse and go. A lesson learned. But, the 2 pocket change purse is great for the light.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (310 customer reviews)

Out of stock