3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great...book was much much better, November 21, 2011
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
After waiting a year to see this film, I think the anticipation caused me to feel a bit let down after finally seeing it. So I saw it a second time to be fair...same feeling.

There are some good and bad things about this movie. I am sure I will watch it when it comes out on DVD a hundred times, because I'm a big fan of the series...but eclipse so far was the best movie by far for me.

There are differences from the books, some I liked, most I didn't.

First, the pros..

I like how they handled the birth scene, very tastefully done. It was actually my favorite scene of the movie, watching Bella's transformation. Very well done!

I loved the wedding scenes, the setting and gown were gorgeous and appropriate, but they cut the vows down to almost nothing...it was over too soon for me. And then I had to sit through stupid little reception toasts that were not in the book, and added nothing to the film.

The honeymoon scenes were handled really well...but there was no mention that Edward was also a virgin...in fact they kind of implied he wasn't....and the fact that he is, and that he's never experienced sex, is kinda the whole point of why sex with Bella would be so dangerous for her...he has absolutely no idea what to expect, so he can't know if he'll be able to keep control and not hurt her.

It was really cute when Bella was trying to tease Edward...although inaccurate from how it happened in the book.

The cons...

Well, I already mentioned some because they tainted the good parts... but here are more....

They totally cut out the mercedes scene at the gas station... And believe me, this movie needed some lightening up that scene would have provided.

Since when does Jacob get to see what Reneesmee is going to look like as an adult, just because he imprinted on her?

Why did Bella look like she was almost in physical pain going down the aisle? Even when she saw Edward standing there, she still looked like she might run until the actual vows were said. Ok, she was supposed to be nervous, didn't really want the whole wedding thing...but she wanted this guy...this was her future...they took the nervous nellie bit too far in my opinion.

The scene where Jacob breaks from the pack is all done "in wolf". You hear their human voices, but you just see the wolves...ok, major screw up here because that's not how it was done in the prior movies, so it just didn't sell to have it that way in this movie. And it came off stupid and silly, totally unbelievable. The wolves in general were done poorly in this movie...they were far more believable in New Moon and Eclipse. Watching the wolf scenes for me was like trying to choke down a tough piece of an otherwise edible steak.

The movie kind of dragged for me compared to the others. I think it's because they dragged out so much of the action to have the movie end with the birth scene. That was a big mistake in my opinion...cause there is now so much to tell in part 2 that we are going to get jipped on the best parts of the book in part 2. My favorite part of this book was after Bella becomes a vampire,and outside of her opening her eyes at the end of her transformation, that's all you get of Bella as a vampire in this movie. It's like they served you the appetizer and forgot the main course! Would it have killed them to end on a pleasant note, say that scene Alice envisioned of them running together in the forest?

And the Avatar eye scene...didn't need it Mr. Director! This isn't Avatar where shock affect wins you over..this is TWILIGHT and the romance is what wins us over!

And what was the whole end bit with the Volturi about? Aro may want something the Cullens have, but that's not in the book...and he doesn't even know about the baby until later...so this ending makes no sense at all to me.

This movie is for die hard Twilight fans only...anyone watching this purely for the entertainment value of the movie itself will be very dissapointed.

They only included the first third of the book to make this movie...so we got cheated on this one. And worse, they are now going to have to try and tell the last 2/3rds of the book in part 2...so my hopes are not high for that one either.

Overall, I am disspointed. This was my favorite of the book series. And my least favorite of the movies.

[Add comment]