5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Defenders, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Men in Black 3 (Two Disc Combo: Blu-ray / DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I get out to the theater to see a movie about once per year; I'm now a slave to the Blu Ray home entertainment era. However, I did something this Memorial Day weekend that I haven't done in over 20 years: I went to the theater twice in 2 days (with my kids) to see The Avengers and Men in Black III. And neither of the movies let me down; both were excellent.

While The Avengers is getting high marks from the critics, I am very surprised by the so-so reviews that MiB III is getting. I'm glad that I went to the theater, because the abundance of "just average" reviews might have even deterred me from putting MiB III in my rental queue. I'm here to say don't be deterred.

MiB III was almost as good as the original MiB (and the original MiB was classic), and MiB III was better than MiB II...wayyyy better. The best part for young audiences that may not have seen the predecessors from 15 years and 10 years ago respectively, is that MiB III stands alone as a great movie....There's no need to have had to have seen either of the first two in order to fully enjoy MiB III. Although it does help mainly to see how effectively awesome Josh Brolin is at capturing the essence of Agent K that we all know as Tommy Lee Jones; and I suppose that it also helps to establish the dynamic of the bond between Agent K and Agent J (Will Smith).

So MiB III is a fun blast from the past...or should I say blast into the past. In 1969 Agent K maims, arrests and has bad guy Boris the Animal thrown into an intergalactic maximum security prison...on the moon. But 43 years apparently gave Boris a long enough time to figure out how to escape. But escaping is not all that's on Boris' mind; he jumps back in time to 1969 to change history and murder Agent K. So when he succeeds it's up to Agent J (Will Smith) to jump back a little further in time to stop Boris.

As I mentioned earlier, Josh Brolin really makes you believe that you're seeing a young Tommy Lee Jones, or should I say young Agent K. The personality differences and dialogue between Brolin and Smith are amusing to watch, and some of Smith's scenes with and without Brolin are out-and-out hilarious.

Comedy Writer Etan Cohen (not to be confused with popular Writer/Director Ethan Coen) teams up with MiB veteran Director Barry Sonnenfeld to deliver a movie that's funny, witty and fun for the whole family. At a run time of just over 90 minutes I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

So do indeed get out to see Men in Black III; at minimum get it into your viewing queue. For me, it will be preordered, viewed again on Blu Ray, and sit in my collection next to MiB I & II.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2012 12:44:30 AM PDT
Monkdude says:
Wow! Two movies in weekend? Who is this imposter pushing out more reviews than me?

Both reviews are great by the way, but Men in Black 3 barely gets 4 stars from me. It's fun from start to finish, but I don't think I'll add it to my collection.

I saw Battleship and it's worth a rental. Real stupid in a Michael Bay sort of way, but the battle scenes and CGI were well done.

MD

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:06:22 AM PDT
Sky says:
LOL, MD. Sure, MIB III had some silliness and even some plot holes/inconsistencies (as most time travel films do), but when it was all said and done I asked myself (among the other things I mentioned in the review): Was it fun from start to finish? Was it memorable...really memorable? Did I like it at least as much as the movie that I saw the night after (Avengers)? Lots of yeses. Call it theateritis, but...5 stars from me.

Sky

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:32:30 PM PDT
Strategos says:
Avengers was NOT a good movie. But other than that I agree with pretty much everything you said. Personally I like MIB III BETTER than the original. It's funny, it's fun, and it's not stressful. I plan to buy the Blu-Ray and rewatch over and over.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:43:52 AM PDT
Alison says:
Thanks for the review and comments! I've always enjoyed the actors and the franchise before. Good to know it's still worth watching. I've got it on my list now. (I never get to go to the movies either. I have 2 toddlers at home.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 12:30:15 AM PDT
Biomanb2 says:

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:00:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 10:05:47 AM PST
Dean says:
I still love that part in MIB I where agent K turns the car upside down at very high speed after J pushes the red button in the tunnel and starts playing Johnny Cash tunes on 8 track whiles he's be-bopping, the way that he was waving his head back and forth was and is still classic, the way his hair is waving as he looks like he's a bit stressed from being upside down. It's a short scene but pretty funny.

As long as Director Barry Sonnenfeld stays on (because the MIB franchise is his baby) then we might see much better stuff come out in the future, he dropped the ball a bit with MIB II but he's getting better. Much funnier stuff could be coming.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:15:51 PM PST
Belle Voce says:
I sooo agree with this assessment - I rented on Amazon and watched it twice during the 24 hour period - a very rare occurrence for me as well. Guess which the other recent twice was for - Avengers. Evidently we have similar tastes.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 12:33:05 PM PST
tec2030 says:
Sky...I'm gonna take a chance at this just by looking that the review title...are you a McFly fan?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2013 5:10:23 PM PDT
It's Elvis; and the song is "Promised Land" which is why J says, "You do know Elvis is dead right" also it shows the name on the 8-track tape.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Sky
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: New York